Aldosterone and cortisol

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Here's another theory thread for you guys. I've been consuming inhuman amounts of salt for the past few years without giving it much thought as my blood pressure has never seen anything close to high. Anyway, I came across this page: http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/adrenal/mineralo.html the other day and it got me to thinking - If you chronically consume high amounts of salt (the amount is never the same as nobody measures their salt intake, but you know it's a lot) chronically suppressing aldosterone, wouldn't that leave the mineralocorticoid receptors open to cortisol almost all the time?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Well this is obviously going nowhere.

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
bump for more info...

cortisol is the only thing wrong with my body IMO, lol...this god damn lower abdomen ARG!

I always could be MUCH bigger though, lol.

regards,
COTC

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Nobody responds to theory threads I put up like this one. I guess nobody knows.

tbonz169

Awards
High amounts of salt intake will suppress aldosterone secretion. But at the same time other hormones will be released to cause the secretion of sodium, to bring the levels back to normal. Also 11-beta HSD present in the cells, will still convert cortisol to cortisone which has weak affinity for the mineralocorticoid receptor. Since you eat alot of salt, that doesnt mean your levels of sodium will be elevated all the time. Sodium levels are kept in a specific range all the time (homeostasis). Thus, an elevated sodium level will suppress aldosterone secretion, but only until sodium levels are brought back within range. Also salt is only part of why aldosterone is secreted. Angiotensin II stimulates the secretion of aldosterone from the adrenal glands. Angiotensin II is the product of the renin-angiotensin system which is activated by increased blood volume and decreased blood pressure. This theory is way out there and is not possible

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Well thanks man. Pretty much took care of that.