Do this two week test to see if your eating to many carbs! Very interesting read!

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Do this two week test to see if your eating to many carbs! Very interesting read!

<B><SPAN class=text>It's time for the two week test!</SPAN></B><B><SPAN class=text>By Dr. Phil Maffetone</SPAN></B>
    <P class=text>It's a simple fact: Many people are overweight simply because they eat too much dietary carbohydrate. And there's also a simple method for determining if this is the case. It's called the Two-Week Test.
    <P class=text>First note if you have any of the following and write them down: physical or mental fatigue, blood-sugar handling problems, intestinal bloating, sleepiness after meals, increased fat storage and weight, increased triglycerides, increased blood pressure, depression, or addiction. In addition, if you are concerned about your weight, weigh yourself before starting the test. After the test, you will ask yourself again how you feel regarding these complaints, and also check your weight on the scale.

<SPAN class=text>During the Two-Week Test you will radically decrease your intake of carbohydrates. It is important that you do not go hungry. Eat as much as you want but stick strictly to the recommended foods. Before you start the test, make sure you have enough of the foods you'll be eating during the test. Go shopping and stock up on these items. In addition, go through your cabinets and refrigerator and get rid of any sweets in your house, or you'll be tempted. </SPAN>

<SPAN class=text>As for the test itself, you merely want to eat using the following guidelines for a period of no less than two weeks. Remember, this is only for two weeks.</SPAN><SPAN class=text>
    <P class=subheads>Foods to avoid:

• <SPAN class=text>Bread, rolls, pasta, pancakes, cereal, muffins, chips, crackers and rice cakes.

</SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Sweets, including products that contain sugar such as ketchup, honey, and many other prepared foods (read the labels).
      </SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Fruits and fruit juice.
      </SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Highly processed meats such cold cuts, which often contain sugar.
      </SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Potatoes (all types), corn, rice and beans.
      </SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Milk, half-and-half and yogurt.
      </SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>So-called healthy snacks, including all energy bars and drinks.
      </SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Alcoholic beverages and all soda, including diet.</SPAN>

<P class=subheads>Foods to eat:

• <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>Whole eggs, all real cheeses, cream.

</SPAN>
      <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>All unprocessed meats including beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, fish, shellfish and others.

</SPAN>
      <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>Tomato, V-8 or other vegetable juices such as carrot juice.

</SPAN>
      <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>All cooked or raw vegetables except potatoes and corn.

</SPAN>
      <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>Nuts, seeds, nut butters.

</SPAN>
      <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>Oils, vinegar, mayonnaise salsa and mustard (read the label to make sure there are no added sugars or hydrogenated oils).

</SPAN>
      <LI class=text><SPAN class=text>Sea salt, unless you are sodium sensitive.

</SPAN>
    • <SPAN class=text>Water! During the Two-Week Test and forever after, be sure to drink plenty of water. Most people need at least six to 10 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Generally, the more protein you consume, the more water you will need between meals.</SPAN>

<P class=subheads>Evaluating the results
    <P class=text>After the Two-Week Test, re-evaluate your list of complaints. If you feel better now than you did before the test, or if you lost weight, chances are you have been eating too much carbohydrate and would benefit by lowering your intake. Any weight loss during the test is not due to reduced calories, as many people eat more calories than usual during this two-week period. It's due to the increased fat-burning resulting from reduced insulin. While there may be some water loss, especially if you are sodium sensitive, there is real fat loss.
    If your blood pressure has been high, and especially if you are on medication, ask your health-care professional to check it several times during the test. Sometimes blood pressure drops significantly and your medication may need to be adjusted, which should only be done upon recommendation of your health-care professional.
    <P class=text>If the Two-Week Test improved your signs and symptoms, the next step is to determine how much carbohydrate you can tolerate, without a return of these problems. This is done in the following manner.
    <P class=text>Begin adding small amounts of carbohydrates to your diet with every other meal or snack. This may be a slice of bread at lunch, or a half of potato with dinner. Whatever you add, make sure it's not a refined carbohydrate: no foods containing sugar, no refined-flour products (like white bread, rolls or pasta), brown rice instead of white, etc. Don't add a carbohydrate to back-to-back meals, as insulin production is partly influenced by your previous meal.
    <P class=text>With each addition of carbohydrate, watch for any of the symptoms you had previously that were eliminated by the test. Look especially for symptoms that develop immediately after eating, such as intestinal bloating, sleepiness or feelings of depression. If your hunger or cravings disappeared during the two weeks and now have returned, you've probably eaten too many carbohydrates. If you lost 8 pounds during the test, and gained back 5 pounds after adding some carbohydrates for a week or two, you've probably eaten too many carbohydrates.</SPAN>

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.56%

I'm going to start today, at least in part until I buy a few more items to consume. I'll let you know what my exp. is.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.92%

The above statements hold very true. If people would just cut all processed foods and enriched/ sugar laden/ junk food items the would see a dramatic change in appearance/ energy level and overall health. If you think about it back before there was any man made/ processed foods, all that was around was meat/veggies/fruit or your basic raw food sources. I know I'm guilty of eating junk foods (sometimes I have the worst diet around) but I am trying to ween myself away from all that.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.64%

One BIG problem with this is that it is a blame-the carbs plan, instead of looking at the overall content of the food.

It doesn't address the problem of food intolerance. Most people are intollerant to foods of one description or another, and simply blaming it on carbohydrate is not the right thing to do. It may well be that the carb-containing foods are responsible, but that doesn't mean that the carbohydrate is responsible.
    Some of the biggest culprits are bread products and milk. nothing to do with the carbohydrate in bread - it's usually a gluten intollerance (although some have problems with the specific carbs) lactose is a carb, and many have an intollerance to this, although the majority of problems with milk do not come from the lactose, but the protein.
    Potatoes- well, they are part of the belladonna family (as are tomatoes) and some will have problems with these.
    If you are advocating a keto diet, that's fine - I don't agree with them except maybe on a short-term basis.
    Avoiding processed carbs- yeah, I'll definitely go along with that one, but saying it's the carbs is an oversimplification of things. Home processing of foods, including mashing the potatoes will greatly affect the speed at which they are absorbed. Bloating etc is nearly always an intollerance to food rather than simply eating too many carbs.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.56%

Sorry Andy but if you read what it says:

"Begin adding small amounts of carbohydrates to your diet with every other meal or snack. This may be a slice of bread at lunch, or a half of potato with dinner. Whatever you add, make sure it's not a refined carbohydrate: no foods containing sugar, no refined-flour products (like white bread, rolls or pasta), brown rice instead of white, etc. Don't add a carbohydrate to back-to-back meals, as insulin production is partly influenced by your previous meal."

You will see that he is not blaming anything on healthy carbs, what he is saying is that each person has a different level of tolerance that they can handle and this test is the way to find your personal level of tolerance.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.76%

whats up with the results windwords//?
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

Why are you not allowed to drink Diet Soft drinks, i.e. diet pepsi in this diet ???????
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.68%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Aspartame can screw with some people regarding ketosis and other issues.....if your sensitive.
  9. PC1

Thank you for posting this thread. Reading the description, it sounded as if you were talking directly about me!

For as long as I can remember, I have always experienced a mental energy crash after eating lunch, even if drinking a double espresso. I've been lowering my cals lately just to shed some excess fat/water accumulated bulking this past year.

After reading this, I cut out most of the carbs I was eating during the mornings, and have changed my lunch over to eating salads with cottage cheese and tuna fish. With the blue cheese dressing I put on, and the mayo the cafeteria puts on, I certainly wouldn't call it "low cal". But just by cutting out WW bread in the mornings, and not eating breads/rices/potatos, etc. at lunch, I've noticed my energy level is WAY up! I'm much more productive at work. As I was hinting at before, there was a stretch of time during the mid afternoon where it was a real battle for me to get much done.

So there's definitely something to this, and I'm grateful for advice bro's!

Be well
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

It really does seem to work. I'm doing my first ever cutting cycle using a kinda sloppy CKD. When I carb up I do notice the crash later. During the keto periods I have nice, level energy with no spikes and crashes.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bloodwork to see if Test E is legit
    By sdrawl in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 01:30 AM
  2. Labs Test to see if Human Growth Hormone is real
    By Mako100 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 02:15 AM
  3. One off dose of epi to see if you respond?
    By mark118 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM
  4. Prank to see if your friend is a wuss...
    By Big Matt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 07:10 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 11:49 PM