Food you can put in your pocket

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
The ultimate in portability, yet still somewhat nutritious. Also, you shouldn't look too rediculous pulling them out of your pocket and eating them, like a seran wrapped chicken breast for example.

I have found a few options so far:

1.)Go-Nuts from Planters: 1oz bags of almonds, $.52ea when you buy a box of 8. 170cal/6gPro/6gCarb/15gFat. You could also use mixed nuts, walnuts, or sunflower hearts & put them in little bags yourself.

3.)Small boxes of Raisins: $.26/box for generic brand. 130cal/1gPro/33gCarb/0gFat. Not for the carb-conscious, but they're just dried grapes.

4.)Dried Plums: $1.95/bag or $.22/serving. 100cal/1gPro/24gCarb/0gFat. All natural. Lots of fiber & antioxidants. You won't fit the whole bag in your pocket though, so you'd have to put them in seperate baggies.

I'm looking into protein, granola, and cereal bars, but at least most of them suck.

Beer jerky is another good option, but some of them are full of junk and basically all of them are way overpriced. I need to find a good cheap brand or learn to make my own.

You guys got any good ideas?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
beef jerkey is always good along with banana splits

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
A seran wrapped chicken breast in your pocket. That's hilarious. And a seran wrapped baked potato in the other.

:icon_lol:

I'd go with a protein bar.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
2% string cheeses

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
http://www.gobeefjerky.com/

Price on the regular stuff isn't bad. I used to know a guy who made his own and sold it real cheap locally, but he died a few years ago. I miss him. When I was younger and working at the beach/marina he used to bring me smoked blue fish and a beefsteak tomato from his grandfather's garden, and while I ate he'd hit on the 18 year old blonde I was working with. She was a hottie. Fun times.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
i support the beef jerky cause. lots of protein, very low fat. some people care about sodium, which it's VERY high in... so watch out there.

damn you people and your avatars... you're killing me! here i am trying to do research and BAM, half-naked chick, some chick's perfect naked ass staring back me. now how do i concentrate on research and posting with these constant distractions! damnit! keep it up!

kwantam

the triumph of the grill
Awards
  • Established
A can of tuna with a pull-top, or in one of those foil packs.

A zip-loc of broccoli, lunch meat, and crackers.

A five-gallon bucket of cottage cheese. You have to carry around a coffee mug, too---just dip it in the bucket and drink down the wholesome goodness. Mmmmmm... :cheers:

-kwantam

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
A five-gallon bucket of cottage cheese. You have to carry around a coffee mug, too---just dip it in the bucket and drink down the wholesome goodness. Mmmmmm... :cheers:

-kwantam
:rofl:that is disgusting

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of egg whites for $15.....maybe I'll try it with that :icon_lol: :rofl: :icon_lol:

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of egg whites for $15.....maybe I'll try it with that :icon_lol: :rofl: :icon_lol:
where did you get that at? I'd kill that in like a week i think.

those packages of tuna are good, that come vacuum packed from starkist or whoever. They actually now have tuna steaks, which i tried and they were really good.

Chemist63

Board Supporter
Awards
Must be joking about the 5 gallons for $15.00. They are a lot more at the sites posted.

kwantam

the triumph of the grill
Awards
  • Established
How long would this stuff stay fresh in your pocket?
I used to bring them to work and not refrigerate them for several hours before eating them. They get mushier, but they don't go bad that fast...

-kwantam

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
yeah, the prices you gave are way off base with the quotes on that website. 4gallons is asking 118 bucks...

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
How long would this stuff stay fresh in your pocket?

I got some good ones, 9g protein & 2.5g fat per stick.
they stay good for a while...as said they do get a bit mushy..but other then texture they still own.

Personally i think cheese tastes better melted anyway....

But you should invest in like one of those lunch bags with an icepack in it...keep it in your car or whatever and just load it up with ****..thats what i do.

people talk mad **** at my job about how much i eat..lol

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
i absolutely love those vacuum sealed tuna fish things from starkist or whatever...the flavored ones too...all you need is a plastic spoon and your good to go

regards,
COTC

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
You can make your own beef jerky.

Take a thin piece of steak stick and season it to your liking. Then stick a toothpick through one end. Then hang the meat in the oven on an oven rack with the toothpick. Place a pan under it to catch the juices. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Keep cooking it till it is to your taste.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
yeah, the prices you gave are way off base with the quotes on that website. 4gallons is asking 118 bucks...

OK....here's the secret. You go to a bakery supply warehouse. Turn on the charm and buy the 30 pound bucket from the Desperate Housewife at the front desk. Seriously, you can look up these supply houses locally. It's a very affordable way to get egg whites. They will have a whipping agent in them but hey...it's still cheap protein and I can't tell the difference in taste from cracking and separating :thumbsup:

I just put it into containers and freeze them. Take the smaller containers out when I need them. It's very convenient.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
agreed, if you have no idea what we're talking about, they have flavoried and non-flavored tuna in a bags and it's amazing. works great for snack on the go or a meal at work. definatley a MUST BUY!!!

i absolutely love those vacuum sealed tuna fish things from starkist or whatever...the flavored ones too...all you need is a plastic spoon and your good to go

regards,
COTC

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whats wrong with a chicken mayo whole wheat sandwich wrapped in cling film. Thats what I usually have. Throw some salad in there and it tastes great.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Whats wrong with a chicken mayo whole wheat sandwich wrapped in cling film. Thats what I usually have. Throw some salad in there and it tastes great.

Mayo on a sandwhich when it is 80 degrees outside? Not for me thanks :)

rooster

Awards
Sardines are good. i buy a crap load of them for 44 cents each at walmart. I like the smoked sardines packed in olive oil. I'll eat two cans for lunch with a potatoe or brown rice. 1 can as 23 grams of protein... and if you're concerned about mercury.... sardines don't have mercury in them unlike tuna in a can.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Sardines are good. i buy a crap load of them for 44 cents each at walmart. I like the smoked sardines packed in olive oil. I'll eat two cans for lunch with a potatoe or brown rice. 1 can as 23 grams of protein... and if you're concerned about mercury.... sardines don't have mercury in them unlike tuna in a can.
not sure how they smell being in a pocket all day..lol..they are pretty good though

Jblake

Awards
Sardines also have omega 3's. The ones in mustard are mmm mmm good.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Word on the beef jerkey. I also think prunes are a fantastic on-the-go food, full of fiber, full of nutrients, lower GI than any other dried fruit except maybe dried cherries... A mix of prunes, chopped almonds, cashews and dried cherries would be pretty healthy.