Yogurt while cutting

1. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.5%

Question Yogurt while cutting

Need some advice. Read this article this morning regarding yogurt and its positive effects on fat burning. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...th_yogurt_dc_1.

I had read Dr. D's thread which said yogurt was a good antibiotic, but couldn't find any other information on the board. Does anyone routinely eat yogurt? I was thinking of adding it as part of my lunch in place of fruit and throwing it in with a cup or half-cup of cottage cheese. I think the sugar in the yogurt would be about equal to the sugar from the fruit, so I wouldn't be picking up any simple carbs. Normally when I cut I avoid sugars, even most fruit. Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Joe

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

yogurt is fine, but I prefer fat free or 1% fat milk and cottage cheese. Different strokes...
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.5%

Ex, thanks for getting back to me. I am going to do the yogurt thing once a day, half cup at lunch w/ cottage cheese, for a week and try it out. I have been doing the cottage cheese with fat-free, sugar free pudding made with fat free milk and 2 scoops protein powder. It is delicious, especially the chocolate, but a very high calorie (like 400 a serving) snack. It is great for a bulk.

I also tried the three servings of almonds a day you recommended a while back and it seemed to help keep off the fat while adding quality calories. I have gained around ten pounds over the past 6-8 weeks without appearing to gain much fat. Good post!
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.26%

Yogurt is awesome for cutting. Try Dannon's carb control. It has 3 carbs, 6 g's of protein and like 3 g of fat. Only 70 cals and it taste damn good. I toss a spoonful of splenda in mine (doenst really need it) and enjoy. Try the smoothies too. Great on the run snack. Fills ya up!
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.25%

Is yogurt high GI or low GI? I looked it up on a GI chart and it said it was prettty low but it is mostly sugar. Is it because the sugar is fructose (not a high GI sugar)?
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.73%

Quote Originally Posted by hypo
    Is yogurt high GI or low GI? I looked it up on a GI chart and it said it was prettty low but it is mostly sugar. Is it because the sugar is fructose (not a high GI sugar)?
    Yeah, but avoid the ones that have fruit on the bottom, as those contain high fructose. Instead, try the carb control or carb monitor yogurts. You get only 5gs of sugar and even a little more protein.
  7. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.76%

Yogurt itself is mostly lactose (which is a really low GI carb). The only reasone it would have fructose is if it has fruit added.

Plain yogurt with a little stevia and vanilla extract added in is delicious, and ridiculously healthy.
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.64%

I just wrote my girl a diet and shes eating yogurt everyday.
    Low-fat yogurt provides the most calcium for the least amount of calories and there are a lot of studies now coming out that prove that diets high in calcium accelerate fat loss. When yogurt is made, the bacterial cultures that are added to the milk break down some of the sugar lactose into lactic acid. The acidity and protein content slow down stomach emptying time.
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.9%

I enjoy stonyfield farms chocolate underground yogurt with a scoop of ON chocolate protein.
    Wow it's so good!
    Also vanilla yogurt is really good for some reason i love to have it after breakfast.
    Last edited by cable626; 03-25-2005 at 02:07 AM.
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.5%

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I will definitely work some yogurt into my plans for the next few weeks.
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.25%

Yeah, thanks for the replies. I thought fructose for some reason because I buy the fruit falvored ones :b. Lactose makes a lot more sense!

I will take a look at the labels on the low carb yogurts, but my body likes carbs, and as long as they're low GI I don't mind eating them

Brian
  12. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.64%

Yeah, thanks for the replies. I thought fructose for some reason because I buy the fruit falvored ones :b. Lactose makes a lot more sense!

I will take a look at the labels on the low carb yogurts, but my body likes carbs, and as long as they're low GI I don't mind eating them

Brian
    Artificially sweetened yogurt has a lower GI content than yogurt made from natural sources...
  13. Pityin' fools since '81
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i get the breyers new low-kcal yogurt. each serving is huge, and has <100kcal. very low sugar content

Similar Forum Threads

1. 6-OXO or Nolva while cutting?
    By savagery in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 10:41 PM
  2. V-12 while cutting for photo shoot?
    By JWest0926 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:09 PM
  3. HST while cutting?
    By goin_big in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1