Beginning A New Diet

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
With New Years around the corner, Dma378 and I from the Olympus Labs team have decided to write about working your way into a proper diet. This is more so for the average New Years Revolutionist / people who are new to dieting.

The biggest issue I see when people decide to get fit is that they try to cut out all of the 'junk' at the same time. Typically this goes okay for the first three to seven days and then they are on the couch buried in bags of chips, tubs of ice cream and 12 packs of Mountain dew. My advice is to work your way into it gradually. Example of what I did for my Brother in Law last New Year:

Week 1: Keep your diet the same but add one protein shake and one chicken breast or other lean protein to a meal every day.

Week 2: Replace Soda / Juice / etc with water, limit yourself to three sodas a day. Drink some milk if you want change, but mostly water.

Week 3-4: Cut back on the 'junk' food. Start writing your diet for the day or week out ahead of time. Seeing the amount of food on paper helps to visualize the amount you will be eating. Stick to it and walk away. Give yourself time to "feel" full.

Week 5-6: Keep your main meals(Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) healthy. Start limiting yourself to one 'junk food' drink a day and adding in healthy 'snacks.' Greek yogurt, nuts, etc. Also, start tracking your calories. With all the aids of modern technology, this is easier than ever. Apps are built in with practically everything you could ever need.

Week 7: At this point you should be able to lose weight and/or put on muscle to a good degree. Pick a day to weigh yourself, take waist measurements, and photos weekly. If you are lifting regularly and maintaining your diet, at least one of the three will start having noticeable changes weekly. Buy a scale for your food to start getting exact(At least close to) number of calories per meal.

Week 8: Start skipping your daily soda and following your diet strictly.

Be strict on your diet, but don't let it consume your life. Special occassions, socialize and enjoy the food and drinks. Haven't seen your mother in a year? Enjoy her cooking. Add in a regular cheat meal, I do mine bi-weekly typically but weekly is very common. Most importantly, it takes a proper diet AND consistent training to get in shape, don't slack on either.

The biggest impact on sticking to a diet for me was learning how to meal prep. I hate getting up to cook all the time, so making several days worth of meals in advance was game changing for me and was a huge problem for a majority of the people I have helped with their diets. When they get hungry, they want to walk in the kitchen grab it and start eating, i.e ice cream, chips etc. Daniel literally writes his entire daily consumption on paper before he tracks it. He actually does it for the Monday-Friday on Sunday night after he preps it. Daniel - "I just know that if I have a plan on paper, there's no reason not to stick to it. I plan for 3400 daily calories so it's a little easy! "

Stick with it, keep track of your progress, and let us know how your dieting goes! Any questions or comments, feel free to post or PM me or Dma378

HomeWorkouts

Awards
Smart way to go about it. I always encourage gradual changes. It's disheartening to see people rush into a diet that they can't handle and end up quitting soon after. Great example dude.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Smart way to go about it. I always encourage gradual changes. It's disheartening to see people rush into a diet that they can't handle and end up quitting soon after. Great example dude.
We appreciate it man! Sounds like you could write something yourself.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is great stuff. Soda in my opinion is a drug for obese people. So many people just drink soda and nothing else. Water and milk is all I drink. I think staying away from carbonation and deep fried is the best thing someone can do to avoid being obese.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The demigods are bestowing great knowledge upon us. Thanks!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
The demigods are bestowing great knowledge upon us. Thanks!
This is great stuff. Soda in my opinion is a drug for obese people. So many people just drink soda and nothing else. Water and milk is all I drink. I think staying away from carbonation and deep fried is the best thing someone can do to avoid being obese.
Thanks guys, yeah I agree. It's pretty hard to just walk away from soda, similar to cigarettes imo. Becomes more of a habit than anything, plus sugar and caffeine are both craved/addicting.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In! Good, basic principles for anyone starting out.

David147

Awards
Well for one you most definitely want to avoid eating too many carbs a day. These can be found in all pastas, breads, and potatoes, candies, cookies, refined grains like white rice and food made with refined flour.

You have a pretty healthy and substantial eating plan.You should definitely try raw or lightly cooked veggies,most whole fresh or frozen fruits, beans, legumes, seeds and high fiber 100% whole grain. You should also drink about 2 liters ( a little more than 8 cups of water) a day to replace the water that you lose during the day from sweating, breathing, and bowel movements. Just know that food accounts for 20% of your water intake so dont over drink but avoid under drinking as well. Hope this helps!