What amount of protein that you eat do you absorb?

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

What amount of protein that you eat do you absorb?

Say I take in 40g of Protien will my body actually recieve that amount. I know it sounds dumb, but when you take a supplement you may only absorb a percent of that supplement, does the same rule apply for protein.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

yes, you digest about 40%. The average person eats about 70g of protien a day only 30g are digested. That is why you need to eat so much protien.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by b_delgros
    Say I take in 40g of Protien will my body actually recieve that amount. I know it sounds dumb, but when you take a supplement you may only absorb a percent of that supplement, does the same rule apply for protein.
    Here's an excerp from John Barardi's Protein Roundtable. To read the full discussion go to http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...roundtable.htm It'll tell you just about anything you wanted to know about protein including when to drink what protein, protein requirments and over consumption.

Soup's On - Protein Intake in a Single Meal

CW: Here's a hot topic for you guys. People often ask me about how much protein can and should be eaten in a single muscle building meal. Although there may not be a single number given that can be applied to everyone because of the variables involved in protein metabolism (LBM, REE, T3-T4 levels, Testosterone, insulin, the list goes on and on), I'll say that based on size, a minimum of 40 grams per sitting should work well for everyone. It's important that people know that those amino acids do a heck of a lot more than build muscle. You need them to form a lot of various hormones and neurotransmitters, as well as other important constituents in the human body.

A maximum protein intake is much harder to estimate. In the real world, many guys consume amounts in the 60 to 90 gram range. By in large, these same men have all been successful in their bodybuilding efforts. Another thing to consider is the role that timing plays in how much you should consume in one sitting. Obviously, you should consume the largest amounts when rising and before going to bed. I feel you should also increase the amount of protein directly following a workout. Okay, what do you guys think?

JB: I agree completely on this point. Actually, this topic has been debated in the absence of data for far too long. Just to let you all in on a little secret, I'm aware of a research protocol being designed right now to investigate this very question! Pretty soon we should have some data that will tell us just how much protein can be absorbed in a single sitting. Exciting, right Lonnie? So Lonnie, to go one step further with this question, do you know of any good "adjunct" nutrients that may actually help us digest and metabolize even higher levels of daily or "per meal" protein intake?

LL: There's been talk of using bromelain and papain enzymes from pineapples and papaya, respectively, to increase protein digestion. The truth is, digestion of many proteins already averages above 90%, so I doubt they'll help much in this regard. I will say that when consuming powdered proteins, I personally try to double the fluid volume that most supplement labels recommend. This helps to keep me from continually "assaulting the porcelain," if you know what I mean. Nobody's going to grow with a thick, osmotic nightmare of nutrients dragging out their backside. I also try to eat some solid food with reconstituted protein drinks and MRPs for similar reasons.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERTAKER
    yes, you digest about 40%. The average person eats about 70g of protien a day only 30g are digested. That is why you need to eat so much protien.
    I suggest you read this too UNDERTAKER.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.36%

Doesnt it simply depend on the bioavailability of the protein?
    For instance if you were to eat egg whites, 100% would be assimilated (digested), but not neccesarily all used by the body.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew69
    Doesnt it simply depend on the bioavailability of the protein?
    For instance if you were to eat egg whites, 100% would be assimilated (digested), but not neccesarily all used by the body.
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/..._mar302001.htm

Isn't the internet great. Why make your own point when someone who is way more knowledgable can make it for you.
  7. officially an adult
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.18%

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg

JB: I agree completely on this point. Actually, this topic has been debated in the absence of data for far too long. Just to let you all in on a little secret, I'm aware of a research protocol being designed right now to investigate this very question! Pretty soon we should have some data that will tell us just how much protein can be absorbed in a single sitting. Exciting, right Lonnie? So Lonnie, to go one step further with this question, do you know of any good "adjunct" nutrients that may actually help us digest and metabolize even higher levels of daily or "per meal" protein intake?
    has anyone seen this sudy?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 07:11 AM
  2. What kind of you music do you listen too?
    By lartinos in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Amount of Protein that can be absorbed
    By chainsaw in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 02:52 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:56 AM
  5. What ratio of 4AD to T-1 do you like the best?
    By CROWLER in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 12:26 PM