BF% question

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. BF% question


    im pointing this question towards those people who are in that 8-5% body fat range.

    IT CANT BE ALL DIET CAN IT??

    post some inside info for me, diet logs, cardio routines (how often what intensity)

    im stuck in that 12-13% bf range , im gonna try sprints and jump roping instead of long distance running. but id like to know what the "Pros" think about this


  2. Quote Originally Posted by TravTriggz
    im pointing this question towards those people who are in that 8-5% body fat range.

    IT CANT BE ALL DIET CAN IT??

    post some inside info for me, diet logs, cardio routines (how often what intensity)

    im stuck in that 12-13% bf range , im gonna try sprints and jump roping instead of long distance running. but id like to know what the "Pros" think about this
    first off let me say your avatar is awesome. thats one sweet ass

    anways right now my bf is pretty high due to injury but when im in the middle of my diet and exercise my bf is right around 6-8%
    1 thing that is a crappy factor that doesnt effect everyone the same way is metabolism. my metabolism has always been really high. i was always the real skinny kid and i was never able to gain weight
    now about 3 years ago i quit smoking and my bf shot up. the way i kept if off was actually boxing. before boxing i worked up myself to do 8 -3 minute rounds of jump rope in between jumping rope i would shadow box with 1 or 2 lb weights (1 or 2 lbs might not sound like alot but believe me after the 3rd round yoru delts feel like they are going to fall off)
    after the rope and shadow boxing i would do about 20-30 minutes of punches and steps on a heavy bag.
    that made me burn the fat off 3 times quicker then jogging or biking
    as for diet i usually keep it pretty simple low fat low calories high protein. nothing drastic.
    stress can be a factor as to why you hit a wall but if i was you i would switch around the type of cardio your doing for a while and see what happens.
    hope i helped a little
    •   
       


  3. defenetly im feelin you , i use to shadow box 3 minute rounds, ive had my hand broken 6 times so i try to stay away from the heavy bag. i had a friend who did 10 minute rounds wit the jumprope but il try ur 3 minute rounds since he was 150 lbs and im 175 a little harder for me , good looks yo. you sound onpoint

  4. I'm in the process of getting back down around 7% right now, so let me see what I can do to help you.

    You said it can't be all diet - it can, but i don't think this is the most productive way of losing bf. I did a carb cycling diet last year, which got me down to about 9% without any cardio, just weights.

    I'll tell you one thing that a lot of people don't mention that I think is important is being active in general. Just making sure you're always taking stairs and moving will help a lot.

    I'd suggest doing a lot of cardio too. I think the mistake that a lot of guys make here is not breaking their balls; they'll just go for a jog and call it a workout.

    Here's the little secret - you're body will adapt itself to do whaever you demand of it, and it takes a pretty ripped body to do physically difficult things on a consistant basis.

    Think about it this way if you're body can run, sprint, lift heavy weights, do a ton of pullups, has high endurance, is operating on high protein and relatively low cals - then you're bidy is going to look like it can do those things. Every time I've been in the 7-8% range, I've been extremely physically capable and doing very difficult workouts, it's just part of the deal.

    Hope this helps.

  5. understood
    good post Thanks PJ
  6. hrmrmrmrm


    ne one else?

  7. its MAINLY diet ... cardio 4 times a week low intensity (65% max HR) for 45 minutes ... when you get down below 10% you pretty much NEED a refeed once a week to jump start your metabolism again .. at least i've found i do and i've been down around 5% before

  8. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    its MAINLY diet ... cardio 4 times a week low intensity (65% max HR) for 45 minutes ... when you get down below 10% you pretty much NEED a refeed once a week to jump start your metabolism again .. at least i've found i do and i've been down around 5% before
    so your saying it is ok to devour that frozen pizza ive had in my freezer for the past year? rock on. :-)

  9. glenihan

    ive tried what u said, i guess everyones body is different cuz it did pretty much nothing for me. Im sure its great cuz u dont loose any muscle at low intensity but other then that, i think my body demands to be pushed wayyyyyy more.
    5`10 173lbs 13.8%bf

  10. Quote Originally Posted by TravTriggz
    glenihan

    ive tried what u said, i guess everyones body is different cuz it did pretty much nothing for me. Im sure its great cuz u dont loose any muscle at low intensity but other then that, i think my body demands to be pushed wayyyyyy more.
    5`10 173lbs 13.8%bf
    Same here. I've been stuck at 15% for a month or so now on a cut and have been doin low intensity cardio (around 65%) for a few weeks and havent lost any additional fat. I just feel like my body responds to higher intensity plus it doesnt take as long.
    •   
       


  11. have you correspondingly lowered your cals further ... you can't remain at the same caloric levels once you lose weight .. you need to further lower them ... honestly the low intensity cardio should do its job

  12. I agree with glen, most people will say its the cardio that doesnt work anymore. But they dont realize that if they lose weight, they need to change their diet to accompany their new body and not their old one.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    have you correspondingly lowered your cals further ... you can't remain at the same caloric levels once you lose weight .. you need to further lower them ... honestly the low intensity cardio should do its job
    right now I'm at 170 at 15%. I've been tinkering with cals for a while now and havent been able to find the right amount. I've always been told never to go below 10 times your bodyweight. That would put me around 1700 and I'm right around there now. I dont count all my cals I just keep my meals at 500 cals or less,( 3 of them) and one meal or snack so to speak at 200. I suppose not counting them could cause me to get some extra cals in there but counting everything that goes in your mouth is so damn time consuming..lol

  14. you REALLY need to count your cals as well as your macro's - protein, carbs, fat .. and you should be eating 6 times a day .. 4 isn't enough

    it is time consuming but trust me it makes all the difference

  15. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    you REALLY need to count your cals as well as your macro's - protein, carbs, fat .. and you should be eating 6 times a day .. 4 isn't enough

    it is time consuming but trust me it makes all the difference
    Yeah your prob right. I'm just in denial I guess..

  16. Quote Originally Posted by scott72
    right now I'm at 170 at 15%. I've been tinkering with cals for a while now and havent been able to find the right amount. I've always been told never to go below 10 times your bodyweight. That would put me around 1700 and I'm right around there now. I dont count all my cals I just keep my meals at 500 cals or less,( 3 of them) and one meal or snack so to speak at 200. I suppose not counting them could cause me to get some extra cals in there but counting everything that goes in your mouth is so damn time consuming..lol
    I agree, up your calories back up to say 2200 but make sure you eat that split up every 2- 2 1/2 hours. Get at least 6 meals in there. 3 meals and a snack is gonna throw off your metabolism.

  17. hrm i went from eating 7 or 8 times a day "30gs of protein in each meal very little carbs....

    Now im eating 4 times a day wit carbs in every single meal, wit a protein shake after i workout,ive put on more size gotten way stronger and much leaner, but i do a good amount of cardio. I also changed my protein shake from "ISOPURE wit water or milk" to vanilla METrx wit orange gatorade it taste great and works wonders, i dont believe in those no carb protein shakes anymore i think carbs play a hugeeee role in muscle development.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    I agree, up your calories back up to say 2200 but make sure you eat that split up every 2- 2 1/2 hours. Get at least 6 meals in there. 3 meals and a snack is gonna throw off your metabolism.
    2200 seems like a lot, I was thinking more along the lines of 1800-1900. I suppose that doesnt leave me a lot of room to maneuver. I also do cardio 4 times a week, twice low intensity and twice high intensity, and lift 3 times a week so maybe I could afford to add a few more cals.

  19. Needless to say, these diets are clean, right? Definitely eliminate sugar (other then PWO and fruit) and processed carbs.

    Don't know if you all do this. I like keeping the larger amounts of cals and carbs in the earlier part of the day and centered around workouts.

    One other thing I'd reccomend is the no carbs at night thing (after 6 or so). I believe that it really prevents you from going overboard on calories at night. For some reason I never want to keep plowing down cheese veggies and meat, where I might be more inclined to ****up with rice or something. I don't believe in the "magical no carb" thing, but i think cutting them at night reinforces good behavior if nothing else - plus you wake up looking ripped.

    Keep plugging away.It's all synergistic. The more cardio and dieting you do, the lighter, more energised, and ripped you are, which makes more cardio even easier and fun...get it?

    Any other concerns?

  20. Quote Originally Posted by BigPJ
    Needless to say, these diets are clean, right? Definitely eliminate sugar (other then PWO and fruit) and processed carbs.

    Don't know if you all do this. I like keeping the larger amounts of cals and carbs in the earlier part of the day and centered around workouts.
    Exactly, it's very important to get the majority of carb intake around workouts.


  21. Quote Originally Posted by scott72
    2200 seems like a lot, I was thinking more along the lines of 1800-1900. I suppose that doesnt leave me a lot of room to maneuver. I also do cardio 4 times a week, twice low intensity and twice high intensity, and lift 3 times a week so maybe I could afford to add a few more cals.
    How long have you been at 1700 cals. You may need to bump them SLOWLY, and then work your way back down using some of the advice of the others.


  22. Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    How long have you been at 1700 cals. You may need to bump them SLOWLY, and then work your way back down using some of the advice of the others.
    I've been there for quite a while. I am taking the advice and bumping it up to 2000 for a few weeks. I'm also writing everything down to make sure I'm where I need to be. (macros and all) I think I've been sneaking a few too any cals in. I'm pretty good about no carbs at night. The diet is pretty clean, I just think I was taking in too many.

  23. The thing that really made a difference for me in getting lean as hell (Long ago when I cared about such things over strength, we're talking me @ 190 here folks ) was massive amounts of daily activity. I was probably walking about 15 miles a day when I got really really lean. I was down around 8-9% bodyfat, and the diet wasn't all that "in check" at all - though I did get really really weak.

  24. Wow I did a bodyfat check this morning with calipers and it showed 13.8%. I'm convinced now that I was definitely sneaking too many cals in. Writing down everything I consumed told the story. I also took some good advice and started eating 6 meals a day instead of 4. My weight dropped hard to 166. I was 173 a week ago.

  25. Honestly bros...I maintain 5% year around. It is not just one thing or another. I have worked with so many people and they all say some of these same things. I am not trying to be too critical here, but if you are under 30 years old and you are telling me you have tried everything then I don't believe you. What it takes to have 5% for me is different than what it may take for you to have 5%. Here are the factors: LBM (this is by far the most important), genetic pre-disposition, diet, activity level and of course extraineous hormonal abnormailities (i.e. durg use or hormone issues). So what this is really outlining is "lifestyle." I know you all have probably heard this or may even preach this to others, but most people just aren't educated enough on there own body chemistry to know what there own lifestyle is doing to there physique.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by sourinthemind
    Honestly bros...I maintain 5% year around. It is not just one thing or another. I have worked with so many people and they all say some of these same things. I am not trying to be too critical here, but if you are under 30 years old and you are telling me you have tried everything then I don't believe you. What it takes to have 5% for me is different than what it may take for you to have 5%. Here are the factors: LBM (this is by far the most important), genetic pre-disposition, diet, activity level and of course extraineous hormonal abnormailities (i.e. durg use or hormone issues). So what this is really outlining is "lifestyle." I know you all have probably heard this or may even preach this to others, but most people just aren't educated enough on there own body chemistry to know what there own lifestyle is doing to there physique.
    I presume that you have no aspirations to gain any significant amount of size or strength?

  27. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    I presume that you have no aspirations to gain any significant amount of size or strength?
    What!? Of course I do. However, I will say it really depends on what you mean by significant. I don't plan on adding 40-50 lbs of water weight and blubber that I just have to take off my body come show time. It has been my experience that, even when I have tried the bulk up style of str/size gaining (wich I did for several years mind you), I still net out the same LBM gains come stage time. Also, I really don't feel the need to train for str by gaining lots of water and fat. But then again, I am not a powerlifter. I assume you are?

    Oooh, and BTW...I have been 280lbs before and I am 6" shorter Bra! I am not trying to rub it in, just let you know that I have had weight experience on both side of the coin, the leaner and chubier...both have their pluses and minuses.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by sourinthemind
    What!? Of course I do. However, I will say it really depends on what you mean by significant. I don't plan on adding 40-50 lbs of water weight and blubber that I just have to take off my body come show time. It has been my experience that, even when I have tried the bulk up style of str/size gaining (wich I did for several years mind you), I still net out the same LBM gains come stage time. Also, I really don't feel the need to train for str by gaining lots of water and fat. But then again, I am not a powerlifter. I assume you are?

    Oooh, and BTW...I have been 280lbs before and I am 6" shorter Bra! I am not trying to rub it in, just let you know that I have had weight experience on both side of the coin, the leaner and chubier...both have their pluses and minuses.
    I really don't feel like getting into a long winded debate, not in the mood. Suffice to say, barring kovacs style never ending super cycles or mutant alien genetics nobody is going to stay at 5% and still make good progress. If you want to get super lean and prance about oiled up with a fake tan in underwear that's a lifestyle choice man , and I respect your decision (even if I don't consider it a legitimate sport per se, more of a mixture between a freakshow and a beauty pagent ). If you fit into one of the above mentioned categories and are still gaining size and strength at a reasonable rate at 5%, more power to you, you should have some good success at the bodybuilding thing. I made the comment because for 99.999 percent of the people, it is true - if you are in the .001 you should feel lucky man.

    Oh, just for the record I'm about 307 right now btw

  29. 307, that's it


    I have also been at both sides of the spectrum. I am a former pwerlifter, and at my heaviest I was 370, mind you I was strong as hell, but my bf% was not something to be proud of.

    5% year round is not going to net any massive gains in muscle size. Sh*t unless you are just an abnormality then it won't get you much period.


  30. Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    307, that's it


    I have also been at both sides of the spectrum. I am a former pwerlifter, and at my heaviest I was 370, mind you I was strong as hell, but my bf% was not something to be proud of.

    5% year round is not going to net any massive gains in muscle size. Sh*t unless you are just an abnormality then it won't get you much period.
    370 is fearsome, I couldn't let myself go that far though... One of the guys I train with has a world bench press record, he's like 30%bf at 300, he's an incredible lifter and a really good guy but I just couldn't live with myself if I looked like that...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. High BF% questions on lifting
    By goberzerk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM
  2. Need your opinions. BF% question w/pic
    By Diabolik in forum Pics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM
  3. Refeed Leptin question for those under 10% BF
    By rezakhan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
  4. Question: BF% & Napalm Use!
    By paulygon in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 07:14 PM
  5. bfs program question...??
    By clippers41 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Log in
Log in