BF% question

TravTriggz

Awards
im pointing this question towards those people who are in that 8-5% body fat range.

IT CANT BE ALL DIET CAN IT??

post some inside info for me, diet logs, cardio routines (how often what intensity)

im stuck in that 12-13% bf range , im gonna try sprints and jump roping instead of long distance running. but id like to know what the "Pros" think about this

iwinulose2981

Awards
im pointing this question towards those people who are in that 8-5% body fat range.

IT CANT BE ALL DIET CAN IT??

post some inside info for me, diet logs, cardio routines (how often what intensity)

im stuck in that 12-13% bf range , im gonna try sprints and jump roping instead of long distance running. but id like to know what the "Pros" think about this
first off let me say your avatar is awesome. thats one sweet ass

anways right now my bf is pretty high due to injury but when im in the middle of my diet and exercise my bf is right around 6-8%
1 thing that is a crappy factor that doesnt effect everyone the same way is metabolism. my metabolism has always been really high. i was always the real skinny kid and i was never able to gain weight
now about 3 years ago i quit smoking and my bf shot up. the way i kept if off was actually boxing. before boxing i worked up myself to do 8 -3 minute rounds of jump rope in between jumping rope i would shadow box with 1 or 2 lb weights (1 or 2 lbs might not sound like alot but believe me after the 3rd round yoru delts feel like they are going to fall off)
after the rope and shadow boxing i would do about 20-30 minutes of punches and steps on a heavy bag.
that made me burn the fat off 3 times quicker then jogging or biking
as for diet i usually keep it pretty simple low fat low calories high protein. nothing drastic.
stress can be a factor as to why you hit a wall but if i was you i would switch around the type of cardio your doing for a while and see what happens.
hope i helped a little

TravTriggz

Awards
defenetly im feelin you , i use to shadow box 3 minute rounds, ive had my hand broken 6 times so i try to stay away from the heavy bag. i had a friend who did 10 minute rounds wit the jumprope but il try ur 3 minute rounds since he was 150 lbs and im 175 a little harder for me , good looks yo. you sound onpoint

BigPJ

Awards
I'm in the process of getting back down around 7% right now, so let me see what I can do to help you.

You said it can't be all diet - it can, but i don't think this is the most productive way of losing bf. I did a carb cycling diet last year, which got me down to about 9% without any cardio, just weights.

I'll tell you one thing that a lot of people don't mention that I think is important is being active in general. Just making sure you're always taking stairs and moving will help a lot.

I'd suggest doing a lot of cardio too. I think the mistake that a lot of guys make here is not breaking their balls; they'll just go for a jog and call it a workout.

Here's the little secret - you're body will adapt itself to do whaever you demand of it, and it takes a pretty ripped body to do physically difficult things on a consistant basis.

Think about it this way if you're body can run, sprint, lift heavy weights, do a ton of pullups, has high endurance, is operating on high protein and relatively low cals - then you're bidy is going to look like it can do those things. Every time I've been in the 7-8% range, I've been extremely physically capable and doing very difficult workouts, it's just part of the deal.

Hope this helps.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
its MAINLY diet ... cardio 4 times a week low intensity (65% max HR) for 45 minutes ... when you get down below 10% you pretty much NEED a refeed once a week to jump start your metabolism again .. at least i've found i do and i've been down around 5% before

iwinulose2981

Awards
its MAINLY diet ... cardio 4 times a week low intensity (65% max HR) for 45 minutes ... when you get down below 10% you pretty much NEED a refeed once a week to jump start your metabolism again .. at least i've found i do and i've been down around 5% before
so your saying it is ok to devour that frozen pizza ive had in my freezer for the past year? rock on. :)

TravTriggz

Awards
glenihan

ive tried what u said, i guess everyones body is different cuz it did pretty much nothing for me. Im sure its great cuz u dont loose any muscle at low intensity but other then that, i think my body demands to be pushed wayyyyyy more.
5`10 173lbs 13.8%bf

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
glenihan

ive tried what u said, i guess everyones body is different cuz it did pretty much nothing for me. Im sure its great cuz u dont loose any muscle at low intensity but other then that, i think my body demands to be pushed wayyyyyy more.
5`10 173lbs 13.8%bf
Same here. I've been stuck at 15% for a month or so now on a cut and have been doin low intensity cardio (around 65%) for a few weeks and havent lost any additional fat. I just feel like my body responds to higher intensity plus it doesnt take as long.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
have you correspondingly lowered your cals further ... you can't remain at the same caloric levels once you lose weight .. you need to further lower them ... honestly the low intensity cardio should do its job

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I agree with glen, most people will say its the cardio that doesnt work anymore. But they dont realize that if they lose weight, they need to change their diet to accompany their new body and not their old one.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
have you correspondingly lowered your cals further ... you can't remain at the same caloric levels once you lose weight .. you need to further lower them ... honestly the low intensity cardio should do its job
right now I'm at 170 at 15%. I've been tinkering with cals for a while now and havent been able to find the right amount. I've always been told never to go below 10 times your bodyweight. That would put me around 1700 and I'm right around there now. I dont count all my cals I just keep my meals at 500 cals or less,( 3 of them) and one meal or snack so to speak at 200. I suppose not counting them could cause me to get some extra cals in there but counting everything that goes in your mouth is so damn time consuming..lol

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
you REALLY need to count your cals as well as your macro's - protein, carbs, fat .. and you should be eating 6 times a day .. 4 isn't enough

it is time consuming but trust me it makes all the difference

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you REALLY need to count your cals as well as your macro's - protein, carbs, fat .. and you should be eating 6 times a day .. 4 isn't enough

it is time consuming but trust me it makes all the difference
Yeah your prob right. I'm just in denial I guess.. :frustrate

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
right now I'm at 170 at 15%. I've been tinkering with cals for a while now and havent been able to find the right amount. I've always been told never to go below 10 times your bodyweight. That would put me around 1700 and I'm right around there now. I dont count all my cals I just keep my meals at 500 cals or less,( 3 of them) and one meal or snack so to speak at 200. I suppose not counting them could cause me to get some extra cals in there but counting everything that goes in your mouth is so damn time consuming..lol
I agree, up your calories back up to say 2200 but make sure you eat that split up every 2- 2 1/2 hours. Get at least 6 meals in there. 3 meals and a snack is gonna throw off your metabolism.

TravTriggz

Awards
hrm i went from eating 7 or 8 times a day "30gs of protein in each meal very little carbs....

Now im eating 4 times a day wit carbs in every single meal, wit a protein shake after i workout,ive put on more size gotten way stronger and much leaner, but i do a good amount of cardio. I also changed my protein shake from "ISOPURE wit water or milk" to vanilla METrx wit orange gatorade it taste great and works wonders, i dont believe in those no carb protein shakes anymore i think carbs play a hugeeee role in muscle development.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree, up your calories back up to say 2200 but make sure you eat that split up every 2- 2 1/2 hours. Get at least 6 meals in there. 3 meals and a snack is gonna throw off your metabolism.
2200 seems like a lot, I was thinking more along the lines of 1800-1900. I suppose that doesnt leave me a lot of room to maneuver. I also do cardio 4 times a week, twice low intensity and twice high intensity, and lift 3 times a week so maybe I could afford to add a few more cals.

BigPJ

Awards
Needless to say, these diets are clean, right? Definitely eliminate sugar (other then PWO and fruit) and processed carbs.

Don't know if you all do this. I like keeping the larger amounts of cals and carbs in the earlier part of the day and centered around workouts.

One other thing I'd reccomend is the no carbs at night thing (after 6 or so). I believe that it really prevents you from going overboard on calories at night. For some reason I never want to keep plowing down cheese veggies and meat, where I might be more inclined to fuckup with rice or something. I don't believe in the "magical no carb" thing, but i think cutting them at night reinforces good behavior if nothing else - plus you wake up looking ripped.

Keep plugging away.It's all synergistic. The more cardio and dieting you do, the lighter, more energised, and ripped you are, which makes more cardio even easier and fun...get it?

Any other concerns?

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Needless to say, these diets are clean, right? Definitely eliminate sugar (other then PWO and fruit) and processed carbs.

Don't know if you all do this. I like keeping the larger amounts of cals and carbs in the earlier part of the day and centered around workouts.
Exactly, it's very important to get the majority of carb intake around workouts.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2200 seems like a lot, I was thinking more along the lines of 1800-1900. I suppose that doesnt leave me a lot of room to maneuver. I also do cardio 4 times a week, twice low intensity and twice high intensity, and lift 3 times a week so maybe I could afford to add a few more cals.
How long have you been at 1700 cals. You may need to bump them SLOWLY, and then work your way back down using some of the advice of the others.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How long have you been at 1700 cals. You may need to bump them SLOWLY, and then work your way back down using some of the advice of the others.
I've been there for quite a while. I am taking the advice and bumping it up to 2000 for a few weeks. I'm also writing everything down to make sure I'm where I need to be. (macros and all) I think I've been sneaking a few too any cals in. I'm pretty good about no carbs at night. The diet is pretty clean, I just think I was taking in too many.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
The thing that really made a difference for me in getting lean as hell (Long ago when I cared about such things over strength, we're talking me @ 190 here folks :D ) was massive amounts of daily activity. I was probably walking about 15 miles a day when I got really really lean. I was down around 8-9% bodyfat, and the diet wasn't all that "in check" at all - though I did get really really weak.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow I did a bodyfat check this morning with calipers and it showed 13.8%. I'm convinced now that I was definitely sneaking too many cals in. Writing down everything I consumed told the story. I also took some good advice and started eating 6 meals a day instead of 4. My weight dropped hard to 166. I was 173 a week ago.

sourinthemind

Awards
Honestly bros...I maintain 5% year around. It is not just one thing or another. I have worked with so many people and they all say some of these same things. I am not trying to be too critical here, but if you are under 30 years old and you are telling me you have tried everything then I don't believe you. What it takes to have 5% for me is different than what it may take for you to have 5%. Here are the factors: LBM (this is by far the most important), genetic pre-disposition, diet, activity level and of course extraineous hormonal abnormailities (i.e. durg use or hormone issues). So what this is really outlining is "lifestyle." I know you all have probably heard this or may even preach this to others, but most people just aren't educated enough on there own body chemistry to know what there own lifestyle is doing to there physique.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Honestly bros...I maintain 5% year around. It is not just one thing or another. I have worked with so many people and they all say some of these same things. I am not trying to be too critical here, but if you are under 30 years old and you are telling me you have tried everything then I don't believe you. What it takes to have 5% for me is different than what it may take for you to have 5%. Here are the factors: LBM (this is by far the most important), genetic pre-disposition, diet, activity level and of course extraineous hormonal abnormailities (i.e. durg use or hormone issues). So what this is really outlining is "lifestyle." I know you all have probably heard this or may even preach this to others, but most people just aren't educated enough on there own body chemistry to know what there own lifestyle is doing to there physique.
I presume that you have no aspirations to gain any significant amount of size or strength?

sourinthemind

Awards
I presume that you have no aspirations to gain any significant amount of size or strength?
What!? Of course I do. However, I will say it really depends on what you mean by significant. I don't plan on adding 40-50 lbs of water weight and blubber that I just have to take off my body come show time. It has been my experience that, even when I have tried the bulk up style of str/size gaining (wich I did for several years mind you), I still net out the same LBM gains come stage time. Also, I really don't feel the need to train for str by gaining lots of water and fat. But then again, I am not a powerlifter. I assume you are?

Oooh, and BTW...I have been 280lbs before and I am 6" shorter Bra! I am not trying to rub it in, just let you know that I have had weight experience on both side of the coin, the leaner and chubier...both have their pluses and minuses.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
What!? Of course I do. However, I will say it really depends on what you mean by significant. I don't plan on adding 40-50 lbs of water weight and blubber that I just have to take off my body come show time. It has been my experience that, even when I have tried the bulk up style of str/size gaining (wich I did for several years mind you), I still net out the same LBM gains come stage time. Also, I really don't feel the need to train for str by gaining lots of water and fat. But then again, I am not a powerlifter. I assume you are?

Oooh, and BTW...I have been 280lbs before and I am 6" shorter Bra! I am not trying to rub it in, just let you know that I have had weight experience on both side of the coin, the leaner and chubier...both have their pluses and minuses.
I really don't feel like getting into a long winded debate, not in the mood. Suffice to say, barring kovacs style never ending super cycles or mutant alien genetics nobody is going to stay at 5% and still make good progress. If you want to get super lean and prance about oiled up with a fake tan in underwear that's a lifestyle choice man :whip:, and I respect your decision (even if I don't consider it a legitimate sport per se, more of a mixture between a freakshow and a beauty pagent ;) ). If you fit into one of the above mentioned categories and are still gaining size and strength at a reasonable rate at 5%, more power to you, you should have some good success at the bodybuilding thing. I made the comment because for 99.999 percent of the people, it is true - if you are in the .001 you should feel lucky man.

Oh, just for the record I'm about 307 right now btw :hammer:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
307, that's it

I have also been at both sides of the spectrum. I am a former pwerlifter, and at my heaviest I was 370, mind you I was strong as hell, but my bf% was not something to be proud of.

5% year round is not going to net any massive gains in muscle size. Sh*t unless you are just an abnormality then it won't get you much period.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
307, that's it

I have also been at both sides of the spectrum. I am a former pwerlifter, and at my heaviest I was 370, mind you I was strong as hell, but my bf% was not something to be proud of.

5% year round is not going to net any massive gains in muscle size. Sh*t unless you are just an abnormality then it won't get you much period.
370 is fearsome, I couldn't let myself go that far though... One of the guys I train with has a world bench press record, he's like 30%bf at 300, he's an incredible lifter and a really good guy but I just couldn't live with myself if I looked like that...

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't realize how far I let myself go until trying to lose the damn weight. Not fun, but I miss the heavy weight that I could handle at that size. Never again, I'll see what I can do while keeping lower bf% this time, nothing over 15%.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I didn't realize how far I let myself go until trying to lose the damn weight. Not fun, but I miss the heavy weight that I could handle at that size. Never again, I'll see what I can do while keeping lower bf% this time, nothing over 15%.
~15% is reasonable man, you should be able to accomplish some good feats of strength. some androgens here and there, learn how to use the gear, pick up a conjugate periodization program designed around strength gains and give it 3 or 4 years time and you should be able to nail a 600+lb bench press as long as your genes aren't as bad as sourinthemind's are good :hammer:.

I almost kind of wish I could just totally let go, not worry so much about the fat. I have been caught in a nasty cycle where I get unhappy with my appearance, lean down to about 14%, get unhappy with the strength loss I am experiencing, and eat back up to near 20% and start all over again. I am making good progress in strength and size but I'd also like to keep between 12-14% most of the time. *shrugs* not a big deal in the end.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a big deal. I started focusing more on BB'ing, and I know how you feel about that. But Bobo has given me some help, and we shall see in the future how things go.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Not a big deal. I started focusing more on BB'ing, and I know how you feel about that. But Bobo has given me some help, and we shall see in the future how things go.
Just for the record (and so I don't make TOO many enemies :hammer: ) I think lifting weights to look better is very cool, and I would not mind dropping 50lbs to be totally shredded, if it wasn't for the fact that it would set me back a year or more in my powerlifting goals. It's bodybuilding competitions and references to bodybuilding as a sport that annoy me :D

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with that entirely, you and I have the same mind frame. I have just decided to take this path, and show some of these BB'ers the Pl'ers are the the best at it.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Just for the record (and so I don't make TOO many enemies :hammer: ) I think lifting weights to look better is very cool, and I would not mind dropping 50lbs to be totally shredded, if it wasn't for the fact that it would set me back a year or more in my powerlifting goals. It's bodybuilding competitions and references to bodybuilding as a sport that annoy me :D
alright big guy ... its time to throw down .. annoyed by BB competitors eh? ... hope you're hungry .. i got a knuckle sandwich with your name on it

in all seriousness BB is not a sport .. nothing judged in my mind can be considered a sport

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
alright big guy ... its time to throw down .. annoyed by BB competitors eh? ... hope you're hungry .. i got a knuckle sandwich with your name on it
Anyone hear a noise? I could have sworn I heard something... :whip: ;)

sourinthemind

Awards
I really don't feel like getting into a long winded debate, not in the mood. Suffice to say, barring kovacs style never ending super cycles or mutant alien genetics nobody is going to stay at 5% and still make good progress. If you want to get super lean and prance about oiled up with a fake tan in underwear that's a lifestyle choice man :whip:, and I respect your decision (even if I don't consider it a legitimate sport per se, more of a mixture between a freakshow and a beauty pagent ;) ). If you fit into one of the above mentioned categories and are still gaining size and strength at a reasonable rate at 5%, more power to you, you should have some good success at the bodybuilding thing. I made the comment because for 99.999 percent of the people, it is true - if you are in the .001 you should feel lucky man.

Oh, just for the record I'm about 307 right now btw :hammer:

307...wow...big props to you bro....

For the record I don't oil up (outside of competition), I don't tan, and for goodness sake...I don't prance, LOL. Your comments are fair enough, I know that for me I make great progress year around at this body comp. I will say that when I was heavier strength and size was easier, but in the end the net gains that I brought to the stage were about the same. However, I will also say that everyone should remember that bodyfat % is still just a ratio. And understand that 5% sounds low, and it is...but the body doesn't deal with %'s. It sees lbs of lean or fat. To put it in perspective, my 5% isn't the same as your 5%. For me it is about 12 pounds of fat on my body, if I tripled that to 15%, it wouldn't be good. So, while I think I understand your point of view, I think we should view this kind of debate with a broader lens.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
For the record I don't oil up (outside of competition), I don't tan, and for goodness sake...I don't prance, LOL.
Hehe, don't mind me, I'm just having some fun with you on the whole competitive bodybuilding thing. Gotta send some flak back the other way for all the bodybuilders that call powerlifters fat bastards :whip:

sourinthemind

Awards
Hehe, don't mind me, I'm just having some fun with you on the whole competitive bodybuilding thing. Gotta send some flak back the other way for all the bodybuilders that call powerlifters fat bastards :whip:
Aaa.....a sharp wit but a soft heart..I knew it... I hear ya bro...:thumbsup:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn powerlifters :trout:

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
but how many girls go OOOOAHH when you tell them you are a powelifer? :D

Honestly I would rather be a powerlifter, but bencing 365x4 while being 6'1 220 gives me a super unfair advantage compared to the 4'11 midgets that have to move thier arms 3 inches. :(

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
You guys are too funny...way off topic, but funny none the less :D

Oh and LI cardio does jack for me too.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
but how many girls go OOOOAHH when you tell them you are a powelifer? :D

Honestly I would rather be a powerlifter, but bencing 365x4 while being 6'1 220 gives me a super unfair advantage compared to the 4'11 midgets that have to move thier arms 3 inches. :(
Actually, funny you mention that, though girls I hang with think lean, muscular are hot (at least until you get into mutant freak territory) when you mention bodybuilding the response is typically along the lines "you mean those guys who get all oiled up and pose for people? Aren't they all gay?" or something along the lines of not liking their men prettier than they are. OTOH, when I talk about powerlifting (after explaining that it's not strongman) I usually get at least a little feigned interest :) Now a lot of the girls I know think the strongman thing is TOTALLY cool (though still not as cool as football), I'd definately get points if I did that instead.

As far as having a disadvantage in powerlifting compared to guys who are built to bench, there are a decent number of guys who are fairly lean, have medium/long arms and bench near 700, it's all about how you train, getting a good shirt that fits properly and learning to use it right. The top guys in the sport are getting 150-200lbs out of their shirt, your raw bench is probably about 400 you should be able to hit 500 shirted within a year or so and 600 within three years if you do everything just ri ght and your genetics cooperate. Just FYI the world record in the 220s right now is 716 I believe...

sourinthemind

Awards
All the years I have bb, I have never put a power shirt on. I kind'a want to now. Just to see if I can hang with the PL boys...Judging by your insights exnihilo, I should hit somewhere around 600 lbs plus. Hold it....I don't bench.....LOL.....

10000eyes

Awards
low intensity is better then none
but burning the equivalent of an apple to wake up early and feel like **** is not worth it

diet is and will always be king

cardio if its fun helps- if it pisses you off or is too much of a drag- chances are youll feel so shite youll probably need a pick me up (food) sooner before later

p.s Trav your avatar is on point man

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
All the years I have bb, I have never put a power shirt on. I kind'a want to now. Just to see if I can hang with the PL boys...Judging by your insights exnihilo, I should hit somewhere around 600 lbs plus. Hold it....I don't bench.....LOL.....
When you first put the shirt on you won't get anything out of it. You have to learn to use the shirt (if you are a pec bencher that means totally changing your bench form, which can put your strength in the gutter at first). Just for reference I started PLing with a raw max of ~395 on the bench, and got about 30 pounds out of a shirt. After totally re-learning form (my raw max dropped to ~315) and fixing my weak points I get ~70lbs out of a single ply shirt and as I improve my tricep strength and work on being really explosive, and switch to a double ply shirt in the near future I will probably get ~110 or so out of it.

As big as you are though if you're willing to re-learn bench form, train westside style and learn to use the shirt rather than complain about them, I'm sure after a year or so you could do 600 and probably 700 eventually. A lot of guys in PL don't aggresively take advantage of the shirt, it's your friend :D learn to love it.

For reference, our strongest raw guy does 4 plates and 40lbs of chain on each side for a single, and his max contest bench at this point is 633 I think - he really knows how to use a shirt and his technique is awesome, with just incredible speed. Our second strongest raw guy hit 315 for 22 reps and does 365 for 8 no big deal but his contest best bench is like 520something, because he comes from a bodybuilding background so he doesn't have the tricep strength or speed to lock out the big weights, which is why there is a ~110lb difference between the two when their raw bench is within ~20lbs. my raw bench right now is about 415, and I'm on target to hit a 501lb bench at my next meet in a few weeks - our bodybuilder bencher did his 520ish in a double ply denim shirt, and I'm going to come within 20lbs of that with a single ply poly shirt and a raw bench that is probably 50-60lbs lower than his. There is a lot of technique to PL, you can tell that someone doesn't understand at all when they think PL is just brute force or they think they can just slap on a shirt and instantly add 100+ lbs to their bench :D

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I would love to PL, but my body isn't built quite right for it. My arms move so far to bench, that it shocks people when I can put get 365x4... even me.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
307...wow...big props to you bro....

For the record I don't oil up (outside of competition), I don't tan, and for goodness sake...I don't prance, LOL. Your comments are fair enough, I know that for me I make great progress year around at this body comp. I will say that when I was heavier strength and size was easier, but in the end the net gains that I brought to the stage were about the same. However, I will also say that everyone should remember that bodyfat % is still just a ratio. And understand that 5% sounds low, and it is...but the body doesn't deal with %'s. It sees lbs of lean or fat. To put it in perspective, my 5% isn't the same as your 5%. For me it is about 12 pounds of fat on my body, if I tripled that to 15%, it wouldn't be good. So, while I think I understand your point of view, I think we should view this kind of debate with a broader lens.

Props to you! 240 at 6' tall and 5% year round very impressive.

Would love to see a pic.

CROWLER