1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    Hehe, don't mind me, I'm just having some fun with you on the whole competitive bodybuilding thing. Gotta send some flak back the other way for all the bodybuilders that call powerlifters fat bastards
    damn powerlifters

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Just for the record (and so I don't make TOO many enemies ) I think lifting weights to look better is very cool, and I would not mind dropping 50lbs to be totally shredded, if it wasn't for the fact that it would set me back a year or more in my powerlifting goals. It's bodybuilding competitions and references to bodybuilding as a sport that annoy me
    but how many girls go OOOOAHH when you tell them you are a powelifer?

Honestly I would rather be a powerlifter, but bencing 365x4 while being 6'1 220 gives me a super unfair advantage compared to the 4'11 midgets that have to move thier arms 3 inches.
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.14%

You guys are too funny...way off topic, but funny none the less

Oh and LI cardio does jack for me too.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    but how many girls go OOOOAHH when you tell them you are a powelifer?

Honestly I would rather be a powerlifter, but bencing 365x4 while being 6'1 220 gives me a super unfair advantage compared to the 4'11 midgets that have to move thier arms 3 inches.
    Actually, funny you mention that, though girls I hang with think lean, muscular are hot (at least until you get into mutant freak territory) when you mention bodybuilding the response is typically along the lines "you mean those guys who get all oiled up and pose for people? Aren't they all gay?" or something along the lines of not liking their men prettier than they are. OTOH, when I talk about powerlifting (after explaining that it's not strongman) I usually get at least a little feigned interest Now a lot of the girls I know think the strongman thing is TOTALLY cool (though still not as cool as football), I'd definately get points if I did that instead.

As far as having a disadvantage in powerlifting compared to guys who are built to bench, there are a decent number of guys who are fairly lean, have medium/long arms and bench near 700, it's all about how you train, getting a good shirt that fits properly and learning to use it right. The top guys in the sport are getting 150-200lbs out of their shirt, your raw bench is probably about 400 you should be able to hit 500 shirted within a year or so and 600 within three years if you do everything just ri ght and your genetics cooperate. Just FYI the world record in the 220s right now is 716 I believe...
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.38%

All the years I have bb, I have never put a power shirt on. I kind'a want to now. Just to see if I can hang with the PL boys...Judging by your insights exnihilo, I should hit somewhere around 600 lbs plus. Hold it....I don't bench.....LOL.....
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.7%

look what i started
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76%

low intensity is better then none
    but burning the equivalent of an apple to wake up early and feel like **** is not worth it

diet is and will always be king

cardio if its fun helps- if it pisses you off or is too much of a drag- chances are youll feel so ****e youll probably need a pick me up (food) sooner before later

p.s Trav your avatar is on point man
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

Quote Originally Posted by sourinthemind
    All the years I have bb, I have never put a power shirt on. I kind'a want to now. Just to see if I can hang with the PL boys...Judging by your insights exnihilo, I should hit somewhere around 600 lbs plus. Hold it....I don't bench.....LOL.....
    When you first put the shirt on you won't get anything out of it. You have to learn to use the shirt (if you are a pec bencher that means totally changing your bench form, which can put your strength in the gutter at first). Just for reference I started PLing with a raw max of ~395 on the bench, and got about 30 pounds out of a shirt. After totally re-learning form (my raw max dropped to ~315) and fixing my weak points I get ~70lbs out of a single ply shirt and as I improve my tricep strength and work on being really explosive, and switch to a double ply shirt in the near future I will probably get ~110 or so out of it.

As big as you are though if you're willing to re-learn bench form, train westside style and learn to use the shirt rather than complain about them, I'm sure after a year or so you could do 600 and probably 700 eventually. A lot of guys in PL don't aggresively take advantage of the shirt, it's your friend learn to love it.

For reference, our strongest raw guy does 4 plates and 40lbs of chain on each side for a single, and his max contest bench at this point is 633 I think - he really knows how to use a shirt and his technique is awesome, with just incredible speed. Our second strongest raw guy hit 315 for 22 reps and does 365 for 8 no big deal but his contest best bench is like 520something, because he comes from a bodybuilding background so he doesn't have the tricep strength or speed to lock out the big weights, which is why there is a ~110lb difference between the two when their raw bench is within ~20lbs. my raw bench right now is about 415, and I'm on target to hit a 501lb bench at my next meet in a few weeks - our bodybuilder bencher did his 520ish in a double ply denim shirt, and I'm going to come within 20lbs of that with a single ply poly shirt and a raw bench that is probably 50-60lbs lower than his. There is a lot of technique to PL, you can tell that someone doesn't understand at all when they think PL is just brute force or they think they can just slap on a shirt and instantly add 100+ lbs to their bench
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I would love to PL, but my body isn't built quite right for it. My arms move so far to bench, that it shocks people when I can put get 365x4... even me.
  10. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%

307...wow...big props to you bro....

For the record I don't oil up (outside of competition), I don't tan, and for goodness sake...I don't prance, LOL. Your comments are fair enough, I know that for me I make great progress year around at this body comp. I will say that when I was heavier strength and size was easier, but in the end the net gains that I brought to the stage were about the same. However, I will also say that everyone should remember that bodyfat % is still just a ratio. And understand that 5% sounds low, and it is...but the body doesn't deal with %'s. It sees lbs of lean or fat. To put it in perspective, my 5% isn't the same as your 5%. For me it is about 12 pounds of fat on my body, if I tripled that to 15%, it wouldn't be good. So, while I think I understand your point of view, I think we should view this kind of debate with a broader lens.

Props to you! 240 at 6' tall and 5% year round very impressive.

Would love to see a pic.

CROWLER
  11. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%

Quote Originally Posted by TravTriggz
    im pointing this question towards those people who are in that 8-5% body fat range.

IT CANT BE ALL DIET CAN IT??

post some inside info for me, diet logs, cardio routines (how often what intensity)

im stuck in that 12-13% bf range , im gonna try sprints and jump roping instead of long distance running. but id like to know what the "Pros" think about this

I agree with just about everything people have said. Going by your past results if YOU want to go low you need to be anal about your meals including weighing everything. Being lean is NOT easy for most of us.

So here is what I suggest. High protein and good fat low carbs. Keep lowering the calories 500 a week until you start losing a pound or 2 a week. If you go for a week with no loss of fat then have a pig out day with at least 300 grams of carbs half simple half complex. You should pick up a couple pounds of water which will go away in a couple days and your metabolism should have kicked in again.

CROWLER
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER

Would love to see a pic.
    Actually I think homeboy said he was 5'7"
  13. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%

Actually I think homeboy said he was 5'7"

5' 7" 240lbs 5% year round
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

OH yah well im 5,4 280lbs 4.5% BF. I just dont compete because I don't have time!!
  15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    OH yah well im 5,4 280lbs 4.5% BF. I just dont compete because I don't have time!!
    Yeah? Well my dad can beat up your dad!
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.38%

Would love to see a pic.

CROWLER
    For me...it only matters what you bring to the stage...although I must admit I am one of the few who really don't go over 15-20 lbs of contest weight.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

For me...it only matters what you bring to the stage...although I must admit I am one of the few who really don't go over 15-20 lbs of contest weight.
    I was just bored and thought I'd do a look see, dude you realize that you're coming on stage heavier than darrem charles and kamili (and you're shorter than kamili too, lol). You should turn pro and make some money doing this **** if you aren't already - hell even if you're stocky as **** and asymmetrical you should be able to do ok.
  18. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%

I was just bored and thought I'd do a look see, dude you realize that you're coming on stage heavier than darrem charles and kamili (and you're shorter than kamili too, lol). You should turn pro and make some money doing this **** if you aren't already - hell even if you're stocky as **** and asymmetrical you should be able to do ok.

What do you think the chances are he will actually post a pic?
  19. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%

hmm so roughly 5'7 225ish on stage? ... must be dexter jackson ... or someone else lol
  20. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    hmm so roughly 5'7 225ish on stage? ... must be dexter jackson ... or someone else lol
    Yeah lol we know he's black because he doesn't tan, if he was an amateur there'd be no reason not to post a pic, but I suppose if he was pro he would have a decent excuse not to post a pic, at least that'd be one reason.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%

Would love to see a pic.

CROWLER
    He said 6" shorter, which would be 5'7", 5%, 240lbs.

For a competitive BBer, that doesn't surprise me.

He made a nice post regarding bodyfat being a ratio, and I did the math to prove it in a post around here somewhere. Therefore, a guy can have a 20mm fat layer and be at 14% whereas another guy can have a 20mm fat layer and be at 25%...
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.38%

Booooya! Finally, someone who gets it! Thank you....

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    He said 6" shorter, which would be 5'7", 5%, 240lbs.

For a competitive BBer, that doesn't surprise me.

He made a nice post regarding bodyfat being a ratio, and I did the math to prove it in a post around here somewhere. Therefore, a guy can have a 20mm fat layer and be at 14% whereas another guy can have a 20mm fat layer and be at 25%...

Similar Forum Threads

1. High BF% questions on lifting
    By goberzerk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM
  2. Need your opinions. BF% question w/pic
    By Diabolik in forum Pics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
  3. Refeed Leptin question for those under 10% BF
    By rezakhan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10