food question

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
i am cutting still and have a couple food ?'s for breakfast carbs i eat 1/2 cup of

oatmeal and a single serving of applesauce(the ones in the little cups/come in packs of 6).

i also consume 4 slices of whole wheat bread during the day. do i need to take the a-sauce and bread out?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well without knowing anything else about your diet, your body, your metabolism, ect ... if you take out the applesauce and the bread you'll only have ~27 g of carbs a day ... not the best idea

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Yeah post the rest of your diet. Really not much more we can tell you.

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
brkfst- protein shake 1/2 cup of oatmeal 1 serv. of applesauce (40g protein/ 50g carbs)
midmorn- two slices of whole weat bread 1 packet of tuna- (19g protein/ 22g carbs)
lunch- 1 chicken breast with salad-(30g protein/few carbs)
prewrkt- protein shake and 1/2 cup of oatmeal-(40g protein/27g carbs)
postwrkout- protein shake grape juice and applesauce -(40g protein/85g carbs)
1hr after- chicken breast 1 red potato- (30g protein/ 20g carbs)
latenight- protein shake- (36g protein)

totals: carbs:204 protein: 235

i also consume 25g of glutamine daily
morning/nite multivitain
9g of flax seed oil spread out daily

stats: 5"9 185lbs 9%bf
some protein meals i will substitute egg whites for chicken.

Last edited:

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Alright first of all you have way to many protein drinks in there. They are a supplement and should only "supplement" your diet. Use them along side whole foods to get your protein up, or for pre/post workout, but do not rely on them for entire meals.

Second don't cut carbs any lower. 200 grams of carbs is not that much even if you are cutting.

Third I would try and get your protein up around 300 grams a day. And would consume higher quality carbs. I'm just not a fan of any loaf bread as there is hardly ever any fiber in them. I would also use something other than apple sauce.

For breakfast skip the shake, and go w/egg whites, or another lean protein source. I would also go w/a cup of oats, and no apple sauce.
Midmorn is ok but I would eat an entire can of tuna fish (30 grams protein) and maybe try and find a better source of carbs like brown rice, and veggies.
Lunch is good, but eat some vegetables here like broccoli.
Preworkout looks solid
Post workout: dump the apple sauce and juice and go w/a cup of cooked oats and skim milk w/your whey.
Late night: definately eat some type of whole food source for your protein. Try egg whites again, or cottage cheese. Any type of lean protein will do. Also add some veggies.

Also I would take all of the flax during your last meal, and not spread out. I'm guessing you're using caps, you should try using the liquid as it's much more cost effective. Check out nutraplanet they have a big bottle for around $25 or so, and it's high quality flax oil.

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the input sticks i am gonna go stock up on some items you suggested

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yeah ... what sticks said lol ... although i would swap a sweet potato in for that red potato at your second to last meal

TravTriggz

Awards
the best supplement in the world is FOOD, i agree to many protein shakes in there. I never drop a protein shake before i work out. Unless ur over 200 pounds and on some type of steroid. :(

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
a protein shake before you work out isn't a bad idea at all

sourinthemind

Awards
brkfst- protein shake 1/2 cup of oatmeal 1 serv. of applesauce (40g protein/ 50g carbs)
midmorn- two slices of whole weat bread 1 packet of tuna- (19g protein/ 22g carbs)

morning/nite multivitain

I would take the a sauce and bread out...you need to create a stable insulin environment in your body to optimize your natural GH response and most effectively burn fat. Unless you are using GH then take it out.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I actually think the macronutrients are fine per se. Although we don't know how long you have been dieting, your metabolism etc. Thus whether you could be cutting at 1,800, 2,000, 2,500 is a guess. Even if you use the basic paradigms its still just a guestimate.

Now to the food choices. I agree, drop the wholemeal bread. Its GI is decent at best, and while I know how easy it is to use that with your tuna etc....I would replace it with some sweet potatoes. The red potato is fine, although adding some veggies especially in this meal would be appropriate. I would definetly add fiber in the form of broccoli and/or metamucil to a couple meals in there. Broccoli would be especially helpful for added calcium. To echo the others, I would drop the applesauce. An apple there would be a good idea, or some other fruit.

I'm not sure why nobody else didn't mention it, but I dont like your post workout meals. Add another potato to PWmeal 2 and add in broccoli or other fibrous vegetables. Drop the applesauce and grape juice...too much fructose here. Take your pick either dextrose/malto PW (which I shy away from these days) or use another low GI carb source....again a sweat potato or if you have to have your whole meal bread have it here.
For pre-bed, if this is a whey protein shake definelty drop it. If it is a blend with at least 30% casein your ok.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

morning/nite multivitain

Ok, in the morning I would kill the applesauce, kill the protein shake, sub in maybe a cup of low or non-fat cottage cheese and two oranges.

For your 2nd meal of the day I'd think about subbing whole wheat pasta with some mixed greens for the bread (probably about 1 cup dry pasta equivalent). Combine that with a low-fat pasta sauce.

For your nighttime meal I'd again sub one cup cottage cheese and an orange for your protein shake.