Why Natty PB before Bed?

  1. Registered User
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    714
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    28.11%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Why Natty PB before Bed?


    What is the reasoning behind natty PB before bed, why not just take EFA's. Is it because of the extra cals/ fat slowing down protien? Id assume this would be for bulking only, not cutting. Ive alwyas seen PB used before bed and have wondered why.

  2. New Member
    taffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.19%

    yeah its because it slows down the digestion of the protein.... in theory its better to use another fat source, but peanut butter just tastes so damn good
    its perfectly fine for cutting! just dont overload on omega-6's!
  3. New Member
    TooL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    6.85%

    Natty almond butter, even better.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    BOHICA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    Rep Power
    721
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Peanuts, Splenda. Stick in Food Processor and you have the best peanut butter you will ever taste. So fresh, only thing is that its kinda clumpy and not very smooth.
  5. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Rep Power
    1336
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    9.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Peanuts, Splenda. Stick in Food Processor and you have the best peanut butter you will ever taste. So fresh, only thing is that its kinda clumpy and not very smooth.
    Add more olive oil then. Or blend a little longer.
  6. Registered User
    milwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,460
    Rep Power
    1405
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    44.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro


    Why Natty PB before Bed?
    Just because it's so freakin' good! IMO peanut butter is the "Staff of Life". The homemade concoctions (Bohica) kick a$$, too!
  7. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    Quote Originally Posted by taffer
    yeah its because it slows down the digestion of the protein....
    No it doesn't.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  8. New Member
    bigpump23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    201
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    9.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    No it doesn't.

    I always operated under the impression that it slows the absorbtion because of it's content. So why not Bobo?
  9. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    The majority of delay when it comes to fats is either

    a) When they are in a solid state and it delays the breakdown of bolus (solid like state) into chyme (semi-liquid) state. With a shake, this process is already complete so that delay is almost nonexistant....Think of red meat and the difference in fats vs. oils.

    b) The emulsification of saturated or transfatty acids within the small intestine. At this point the absortion of amino's is already taking place.

    So in general when your fat amount is about 1-2tblsp within a liquid state already (thanks to your blender) the delay in amino absortion is almost non-existant.

    Whole foods are where fats delay digestion the most. Even then the actual absortion of nutrients (amino's specifically) isn't altered that much. The process of breaking down whole foods and trasnfering them to the lower part of the stomach and into the small intestine is just a much slower process because of its makeup.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    So in general, people thinkin that adding flax oil or PB to a shake will change the absoriotn from about 15-45 minutes to 3-4 hours are completely wrong.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. New Member
    Sixpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    166
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    22.95%

    So Bobo are u against fat pre-bed then? WOuld one opt for a slower digesting protein with some mixed veggies be more suitable?
  12. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    No, not at all. There are many benefits EFA's can give before bed. I just don't overload it.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  13. board observer
    Moyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    879
    Rep Power
    573
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    68.88%

    I understand why olive oil & flax oil wouldn't slow down digestion, but peanut butter doesn't seem like an oil to me. I mean plain peanut butter btw, not blended in a shake.

    Also, would whole nuts like walnuts & almonds be a good source of fats at bedtime?
  14. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    If its not blended then it would delay digestion some but its nothing like fats found in red meats.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  15. Board Supporter
    Andrew69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    160
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    10.87%

    Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Peanuts, Splenda. Stick in Food Processor and you have the best peanut butter you will ever taste. So fresh, only thing is that its kinda clumpy and not very smooth.
    Blend you peanuts first until they are the consistancy you want, and the rest of the dry ingredients, blend again to mix, and then add the olive oil last.
  16. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2555
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    92.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    No it doesn't.
    DAMNIT for once I wanted to be the one to make a three letter sentence that had some damn fact to it. But the clown always beats me to it!
  17. Board Supporter
    scott72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    807
    Rep Power
    536
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    14.14%

    So throwing some natty into a post w/o shake wouldnt hurt for xtra protein and flavor?
  18. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2555
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    92.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    nope.. its just extra calories.. if you want them its fine.. I believe it does lower overall meal GI. i read that in glucose revolution, but it wouldnt change it much at all.
  19. board observer
    Moyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    879
    Rep Power
    573
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    68.88%

    Quote Originally Posted by scott72
    So throwing some natty into a post w/o shake wouldnt hurt for xtra protein and flavor?
    I'm far from an expert on the subject, but from my knowledge, slowing digestion isn't the reason people avoid fats post workout. You avoid fats pwo because when you're getting a huge insulin spike, you don't need to add fat to the mix(unless you want to get fat).
  20. board observer
    Moyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    879
    Rep Power
    573
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    68.88%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    If its not blended then it would delay digestion some but its nothing like fats found in red meats.
    Is this particularly read meat or all solid saturated fat? Like maybe 2% or 4% cottage cheese?

    What about fiber? Would it delay digestion more or less than red meat?
  21. Board Supporter
    scott72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    807
    Rep Power
    536
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    14.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    I'm far from an expert on the subject, but from my knowledge, slowing digestion isn't the reason people avoid fats post workout. You avoid fats pwo because when you're getting a huge insulin spike, you don't need to add fat to the mix(unless you want to get fat).
    Yeah that makes sense I guess. Combining fats with all those carbs prob is a recipe for fatness. I suppose you could do it in your morning shake without hurting anything.
  22. New Member
    taffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    Is this particularly read meat or all solid saturated fat? Like maybe 2% or 4% cottage cheese?
    bump to that question, i eat 3% cottage cheese before bed with my PB, would this slow digestion much?

    also bobo, when you say "dont go overboard" what is "overboard"
    i have 19g of fat pre-bed (i have most of my EFA's in my last 2 meals)
    although i REALLY enjoy my 30g of PB at night, its just so damn tasty!
  23. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7017

    I wouldn't go over 10-15g personally. And that is right before bed.


    Red meat (unless the fat has been taken out like with low fat ground) will always delay digestion much more than any fiber will. Fiber delays disgestion once in the small intestine. It also depends on the makeup of fiber. Soluble/Insoluble have completly different actions. One speeds up the GI tract while one delays it. Red Meat with mod to high fat content delays digestion within the stomach. It will DEFINETLY take longer to digest. Saturated fats in general will take longer to breakdown in the small intestine due to chemical strucuture. In high amounts this can be as high as 6-9 hours.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  24. SJA
    dead sexy wino
    SJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    8151
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    psyillium = slower digestion
    Fiber One = quicker digestion?????? Or do I have those backwards??? It's early....I haven't had my ALCAR yet.
  25. Professional Member
    Grunt76's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,131
    Rep Power
    1784
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Are you still waiting for the answer to choose your fiber, SJA?
  26. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    802
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    I'm far from an expert on the subject, but from my knowledge, slowing digestion isn't the reason people avoid fats post workout. You avoid fats pwo because when you're getting a huge insulin spike, you don't need to add fat to the mix(unless you want to get fat).
    Both are valid reasons. Fat is a 'slow' energy source and the reasoning is that during or after intense exercise you need a 'fast' source like carbs.

    Yes adding fats to a high calorie/high carb PWO shake can lead to fat gain but that is as much from the added calories as from the presence of fat itself. If you keep the same amount of calories but replace some of the carbs with fat, the difference will be much less. Don't lose sight of total calories.
  27. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    CROWLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,545
    Rep Power
    4829
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    If its not blended then it would delay digestion some but its nothing like fats found in red meats.
    So waiting to have my steak until bed time is ok?


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  28. New Member
    Socrates44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    235
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    81.25%

    Especially before bed, a lean-cut of beef would be an excellent choice for a meal. If you can handle having a steak in your stomach before you sleep. The only problem is that when your body gets a solid chunk of protein (especially red meat) your body will tend to produces a lot more HCL and pepsinogen (further transduced to pepsin) to help break it down. In some people who have lower esophageal sphincter problems this is a concern because of GERD (Gastroespohageal Reflux Dirsorder).
    I get heartburn especially after a high protein meal and it is only made worse by being prone or supine. I have found that if i want to eat a good meat before bed that ill take some papaya extract. It has papain in it (peptidase) and will help break down the protein into a more usable form. This might help compensate for your bodies production of enzymes and acids.

    The ultimate meal that I have found for at night is

    1/2 can of albacore tuna
    1/2 cup of 2% low-fat cottage cheese
    3g of CLA
    2g of Fish body oils (mainly O-3's)

    That is what has worked for me.
  29. New Member
    Socrates44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    235
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    81.25%

    Especially before bed, a lean-cut of beef would be an excellent choice for a meal. If you can handle having a steak in your stomach before you sleep. The only problem is that when your body gets a solid chunk of protein (especially red meat) your body will tend to produces a lot more HCL and pepsinogen (further transduced to pepsin) to help break it down. In some people who have lower esophageal sphincter problems this is a concern because of GERD (Gastroespohageal Reflux Dirsorder).
    I get heartburn especially after a high protein meal and it is only made worse by being prone or supine. I have found that if i want to eat a good meat before bed that ill take some papaya extract. It has papain in it (peptidase) and will help break down the protein into a more usable form. This might help compensate for your bodies production of enzymes and acids.

    The ultimate meal that I have found for at night is

    1/2 can of albacore tuna
    1/2 cup of 2% low-fat cottage cheese
    3g of CLA
    2g of Fish body oils (mainly O-3's)

    That is what has worked for me.
  30. SJA
    dead sexy wino
    SJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    8151
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76
    Are you still waiting for the answer to choose your fiber, SJA?

    Still waiting I haven't crapped in a year.....what now??
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Is fat before bed just as bad as carbs?
    By Gaf Knee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-19-2003, 09:23 PM
  2. best protein before bed?
    By JBlaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 09:33 PM
  3. Oh My God, It's Natty PB!
    By Biggs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 06:20 AM
  4. Best food for before bed
    By Inzah Dude in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 08:16 PM
  5. Takeing 1 test before bed???
    By noob in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in