Extreme low carb and depression.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have been suffering from depression as of late and I think it is due to the extreme low carb dieting.My son was born 8 weeks ago and for whatever reason I started feeling a little anxiety,when that happens I have no appetite at all and have to force feed myself.For the past couple of weeks I would basically eat 0 carbs for days at a time.Could the lack of carbs be causing my depression..

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I think so. Extreme low carbs does diffrent things to diffrent people. I'd get pissed off a lot when I did real low carbs.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I must be the odd duck.

I feel absolutely amazing when I am on low/zero carbs. Granted, I can only go for so long before I need a refeed but I don't find anything terribly painful about no carbing it.

In fact, once I get the carbs out of my system.. I find myself having less and less cravings or the need to cheat with little extras here and there until I get to my cheat day.

Best of luck to you MadMan. Hope all is well soon!

R6Speed

Board Supporter
Awards
Low calories for long periods of time (3-4 weeks) do it to me.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I have been suffering from depression as of late and I think it is due to the extreme low carb dieting.My son was born 8 weeks ago and for whatever reason I started feeling a little anxiety,when that happens I have no appetite at all and have to force feed myself.For the past couple of weeks I would basically eat 0 carbs for days at a time.Could the lack of carbs be causing my depression..
Absolutely. your brain needs oxygen and crculating blood glucose to function optimally. It cannot use fat or keytone bodies. If you're not eating carbs, you eventually deprive your brain and nervous system of what it needs to function optimally. Carbs also play a role in releasing seratonin witch is the reward hormone. when we give our body what it needs to survive, the brain responds by sending out hormonal signals that make us feel good. Not a bad survival mechanism. Eat some carbs. Hope you feel better. I know how much time and attention the little ones take. ;)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Absolutely. your brain needs oxygen and crculating blood glucose to function optimally. It cannot use fat or keytone bodies. If you're not eating carbs, you eventually deprive your brain and nervous system of what it needs to function optimally. Carbs also play a role in releasing seratonin witch is the reward hormone. when we give our body what it needs to survive, the brain responds by sending out hormonal signals that make us feel good. Not a bad survival mechanism. Eat some carbs. Hope you feel better. I know how much time and attention the little ones take. ;)

Thanks Lean one good info and thanks all for responding..

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I believe that insulin and seratonin are directly correlated. I did a zero carb diet for 2 years strait and yes I was cranky most of the time lost 116 pounds though