Best butter substitute?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Anyone know what's best? I usually just go without or use olive oil, but there are some things that just aren't the same w/out a little butter. I've heard smart balance is good but I know very little about it. Is there really a healthy substitute that tastes as good as butter?

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anyone know what's best? I usually just go without or use olive oil, but there are some things that just aren't the same w/out a little butter. I've heard smart balance is good but I know very little about it. Is there really a healthy substitute that tastes as good as butter?
Tastes as good as butter? I think you're asking for a little too much.

I use Country Crock Lite. If you get the tiny little tub, it actually states on it "0 trans fat". But the bigger version of the same stuff doesn't say that. ????????

Anyway, I think it tastes great.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Just use butter. There's no replacement for it. If everything else is in check, It's not a big deal. Some saturated fat in the diet is a good thing.

jkaz182003

Banned
Awards
the grocery store sells some spray butter. 0 grams of fat, 0 calories, i think its 0 sodium also. let me look at it tonight and see what the name on it is. i'll let you know tomorrow

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Just use butter. There's no replacement for it. If everything else is in check, It's not a big deal. Some saturated fat in the diet is a good thing.
Like how much is a little?

:D I LOVE butter :D

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
has anyone tried this brand "Smart Balance". The front states "No trans fatty acids...naturally!" and there is a green banner stating "Patented blend to help balance cholesterol" Here is some more info on it...

~5:8:1 ratio of Omega-6 to Omega 3
~Omega-3: 400mg/per serving | Omega 6: 2300mg/per serving
~67% natural vegetable oils

"The natural oil blend used in this buttery spread is based on Brandois University's cholesterol research and U.S. Patients.

Here is their website. http://www.smartbalance.com/
Anyone heard of this brand? Tastes just like butter :thumbsup:

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
the grocery store sells some spray butter. 0 grams of fat, 0 calories, i think its 0 sodium also. let me look at it tonight and see what the name on it is. i'll let you know tomorrow
Sounds great in theory, but check the serving size (spray for 1/8 of a sec) and then tell me what you can do with that.Who does that?? :blink: The law states that as long as the fat content per serving is less than a gram they can say it's fat free. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
has anyone tried this brand "Smart Balance". The front states "No trans fatty acids...naturally!" and there is a green banner stating "Patented blend to help balance cholesterol" Here is some more info on it...

~5:8:1 ratio of Omega-6 to Omega 3
~Omega-3: 400mg/per serving | Omega 6: 2300mg/per serving
~67% natural vegetable oils

"The natural oil blend used in this buttery spread is based on Brandois University's cholesterol research and U.S. Patients.

Here is their website. http://www.smartbalance.com/
Anyone heard of this brand? Tastes just like butter :thumbsup:
That **** is expensive though. I use an olive oil based spread from fleichmans that has no trans fats, is low in saturated fat, and tastes really good. Pretty inexpensive as well.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Just eat your butter. It's good for you. As long as you aren't overdoing it, butter is the best solid-at-room-temp oil source you can have (well, coconut oil is good too).

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The spray butter rocks. I've used it for year and its tastes exactly like butter and no cals whatsoever. Its cheap too, a bottle is a couple bucks and last for weeks.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Sounds great in theory, but check the serving size (spray for 1/8 of a sec) and then tell me what you can do with that.Who does that?? :blink: The law states that as long as the fat content is less than a gram they can say it's fat free. :rolleyes:
Scott... Go pick up your bottle of spray butter and read what the serving size is. Then tell me if you actually use that when you eat it. Next read the ingredients. (various forms of oil no doubt, with butter flavor.) Oil is fat fat contains calories.

wimpy

Awards
i can't belive it's not butter spray is the ****. 0 cals. taste more like butter than butter.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
olivo---its a butter sub.....made from olive oil, izzz goooood

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Scott... Go pick up your bottle of spray butter and read what the serving size is. Then tell me if you actually use that when you eat it. Next read the ingredients. (various forms of oil no doubt, with butter flavor.) Oil is fat fat contains calories.
I understand oil contains fat and cals but how can they say its calorie free if there's oil in it? I'll check out a bottle when I get home. I doubt its sat fat tho like in real butter right?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Sounds great in theory, but check the serving size (spray for 1/8 of a sec) and then tell me what you can do with that.Who does that?? :blink: The law states that as long as the fat content per serving is less than a gram they can say it's fat free. :rolleyes:
That's why.

Hey, while you're checking out the bottle, do us all a favor and post the serving size and list the ingredients (you can limit it to the oils.) You are correct in that it probably doesn't contain trans fats or sat fat, but god knows what else is in it. :rolleyes: I'd rather just eat butter. It's less fucked around with. :lol:

wimpy

Awards
5 sprays for the "i can't believe" is a serving. first two ingrediants -water, soybean oil. even if it is .99 of a gram of fat, i can live with an extra 2 fat grams a day. you don't have to use very much at all.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
5 sprays for the "i can't believe" is a serving. first two ingrediants -water, soybean oil. even if it is .99 of a gram of fat, i can live with an extra 2 fat grams a day. you don't have to use very much at all.
Mmmmm.... Soy..... :rolleyes:

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok I've got a bottle of Parkay fat free butter spray and it contains the following:

water,soybean oil,buttermilk,salt,soy lecithin, and polyglycerol esters of fatty acids are the main ingredients in that order.

Serving size for one spray is .2g's. 5 sprays = 1 g. Only think listed is for sodium and its 5 mg otherwise everything else says zero.

I dont know much about soy oil but I'm sure its not a sat or trans fat. I'll take it over sat fat butter anytime tho.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
You guys are getting way too technical with this butter thing.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
you got that right!

Butter is good (in moderation)
the Fleischman's olive-oil-based substitute is good, too, IIRC
I think Land o' Lakes has one, too.

That's enough for me.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Ok I've got a bottle of Parkay fat free butter spray and it contains the following:

water,soybean oil,buttermilk,salt,soy lecithin, and polyglycerol esters of fatty acids are the main ingredients in that order.

Serving size for one spray is .2g's. 5 sprays = 1 g. Only think listed is for sodium and its 5 mg otherwise everything else says zero.

I dont know much about soy oil but I'm sure its not a sat or trans fat. I'll take it over sat fat butter anytime tho.
I'll pass on the soy. I don't need to be adding estrogens to my diet.

So, you just proved my point. 1 serving size is .2g or 1 spray. It's safe to assume that more than that and the fat starts to add up. I don't know about you, but when I tried stuff like that I would pump that sprayer til the cows came home. :lol:

Besides, I've yet to find a butter sub that doesn't make my toast soggy. :rasp: I'm not dissing you guys that use that stuff, I just rather use butter.

Hey! Lets throw some fuel on the fire! What do you guys put in your coffe? Skim or 1/2 + 1/2? Three guesses to what I use. :icon_lol:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Coffee's the key to my nutritional downfall :(
when I fix it the way I actually like it, it gives me half my daily fats - and almost half my daily carbs!!!

Am currently weaning myself... :frustrate

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Lean Ones' Coffee Recipie.

Coffee's the key to my nutritional downfall :(
when I fix it the way I actually like it, it gives me half my daily fats - and almost half my daily carbs!!!

Am currently weaning myself... :frustrate
I'm not kidding here.
1 big mug.
3 tsp. sugar
1 heaping tsp hot cocoa mix
~1/4 cup 1/2 + 1/2

I drink 1 to 2 of those every day. :lol:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
no *coffee* w/ that?

I have a 1-liter french press, which holds 3 "me-sized" cups of excellent coffee.
each cup (currently) gets 2 tsp raw cane sugar & 2 tbsp 1/2+1/2.

I'm trying to develop a taste for sucralose - but it's not as wonderful as they want us to believe ("just like sugar" - yeah, right).

At least I cut out the whipping cream (a hold-over from my keto days)....

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I'm all about Splenda...but I am guilty of French Vanilla creamer madness :eek:

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've never liked coffee. It smells awesome but tastes like **** unless you dump loads of cream and sugar in it then you might as well drink a soda.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I've never liked coffee. It smells awesome but tastes like **** unless you dump loads of cream and sugar in it then you might as well drink a soda.
And that's where Starbucks comes in...MMM Chocolate Brownie Frappacino...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
That's exactly how I felt until the morning after my 30th birthday.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Just use butter. There's no replacement for it. If everything else is in heck, It's not a big deal. Some saturated fat in the diet is a good thing.
Yes. Use less maybe. Or use the low-cholesterol type. I think that there is in the US.
A moderate dose of GOOD 100% cream butter harms no one :)

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
And that's where Starbucks comes in...MMM Chocolate Brownie Frappacino...
Man, those are sick... I am addicted to 'em. :rant: Have a french press at home like BodyWizard; the greatest french-invention.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Lg coffee with cream and 3 sweet n low for me. That's one thing I won't give up.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I use creamer.......in my protein shakes :)

Spray butter should be called "pour" butter IMO. I just end up dumping the **** on....then wake my dumb ass up and realize that there is a stick of real butter right next to it in the fridge. When I'm leaning out, I just avoid both due to my overindulgence.

d2Lw

Awards
Found these recipe for "better butter" (healthier version of butter). I use Olive Oil or enova when it say oil (canola, etc)

BETTER BUTTER (version 1)

4 sticks (2 cups) butter, softened
2 cups olive oil
4 tablespoons flaxseed oil (do not use flaxseed oil if you are going to heat the better butter)

BETTER BUTTER (version 2)

4 cups butter, softened
4 cups canola oil
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup water

BETTER BUTTER (version 3)

1 pound butter, softened
1 cup Safflower oil
1 tablespoon liquid lecithin (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 400 IU Vitamin E

BETTER BUTTER (version 4)

I pound of butter, softened
2 cups canola oil
2 tsp liquid lecithin
4 Tbsp flaxseed oil (do not use flaxseed oil if you are going to heat the better butter)

BETTER BUTTER (version 5)

1/2 C. (1 stick) butter, very soft
1/2 C. canola oil (safflower oil may also be used)
1 Tbsp. liquid lecithin

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
So how exactly do you "make" this butter? Soften the butter and and just mix the ingredients together?

d2Lw

Awards
So how exactly do you "make" this butter? Soften the butter and and just mix the ingredients together?
soften/melt butter, mix, back into fridge (unless you need melted butter right away)

btw, i haven't tried all the mix. i've been trying to come up with my own mix (no success yet) without the butter itself, I want more lecithin in the mix and only other good fat (olive oil, enova, low carb milk, etc)

but those 5 recipes are straight from internet, tested by people (not me)

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dont know about it being healthier, I realize adding stuff like OO and flax is good but its still got lots of butter in it. I'll just stick to my fat and calorie free spray.. :thumbsup:

d2Lw

Awards
I dont know about it being healthier, I realize adding stuff like OO and flax is good but its still got lots of butter in it. I'll just stick to my fat and calorie free spray.. :thumbsup:
That's why I'm trying to make it without butter, haven't get the taste I want, but still trying. I'm doing this cause I need high fat for keto but I want to get it from good fat instead of any fat. Plus, I can't make healthy flax muffin using calorie free spray ;)

Those 5 recipes I found on net, I didnt come up with that. But it surely inspired me to try to come up with my own mixture (sans butter, that is)

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
And soggy toast. :rasp:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'd watch out for going crazy with the omega-6 oils, and there's something in particular that is supposed to be bad about canola oil (plus the original name of canola, "rapeseed" will put someone off too). Butter, almond, flax, walnut or olive oils are the way to go. Coconut oil seems to have some good benefits too.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And soggy toast. :rasp:
LOL Lean I'm never gonna sell you on this stuff am I. Honestly I've never experienced soggy toast with it, but I dont eat toast very often. To each his own I guess, I just prefer the no cal version while still enjoying the awesome butter taste without the sat fat.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Well, I tried the butter/olive oil mix today. I'm still not sure if I like it. I had to melt the combo completely to blend them well. It's more bland than butter(of course). I think I had to use so much more that it might not be worth the effort. Haven't made up my mind yet.

sourinthemind

Awards
Oohh yea! Da'bomb baby! but I like butter too. I use both.

d2Lw

Awards
I plan to try mixing with enova and sprinkle the butter flavor powder or liquid butter flavoring (not sure which one yet). the sprinkle is 5 cal for 1 tsp, the liquid might give stronger butter flavor. Haven't decide cuz I havent done grocery.

(and some salt for salted butter)

:)

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When the label says trans fat 0g, does that mean per serving or the content of the whole package?

And what if trans fats is less than 1g per serving, can the manufacturer legally labe it as 0g?