My girl had a batch of these waiting for me when I got home from work:
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Protein Bars
Need a boost after your workout? This wonderful combination of flavors and moistness make this recipe from Body Trends one you will return to again and again. Not only does this recipe taste great, but it is good for you.
• 2 Level scoops of chocolate soy or whey-based protein powder
• 1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter
• 1/4 Cup steel cut oatmeal*
• 4 Egg whites
• 1/4 Teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix egg whites & uncooked oatmeal. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Spray nonstick cooking spray in a 8"x8" baking dish. Spread mixture in an even layer, over the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edge starts to pull away from the sides of the dish.
4. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars.
Makes 9 bars
* Steel cut oats refers to the basic chopping of oats from their original form.
Rolled oats are actually processed and lose nutrients in the transition. Rolled oats are the most common form (think Quaker) found in the grocery store chains.
Steel cut oats are available at most health food stores. They are usually sold in bulk and are often called Irish oats.
An equal amount of regular rolled oats can be substituted.
They're really quite good. Hell of a lot cheaper than a storebought bar and similar nutrient breakdown...