Post-workout supplementation for boxing

Massacre

Awards
I have recently altered my routine to include two days of boxing (mostly heavy bag work). I go pretty hard for 30-40 minutes - it is really tough when you are used to just bodybuilding workouts. Anyways, since this would probably fall under a cardio workout, what do you guys recommend for a post-workout recovery shake? When I lift weights I use the standard 30g protein/50g dextrose/10g glutamine/5g creatine. I am not bulking or cutting, but still I would like to take advantage of the fat-burning benefits of these workouts, so I'm not sure if I should wait for a while afterwards or if I should even include dextrose in the mix. Thanks.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
You can especially include it, because it will get absorbed by the muscles pretty much instantaneously (sp?). Could even add more to it. Drop the glutamine it worthless :D

Pimp C

Awards
i would just use EAA's and BCAA's post workout. then wait
30 minutes and have a whey protein shake.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Are you doing rounds? You're probably doing closer to interval training than cardio, if you do it with intensity. I know if I do 10 3 min rounds w/1 min rest, it's much more like HIIT than LSD cardio. I guess my point is, I wouldn't think of going rounds on an empty stomach, or without plenty of carbs for recovery afterwards. You might want to look into using ground oatmeal instead of dextrose, or at least eat a complex carb-containing meal within 30 minutes.

Massacre

Awards
Are you doing rounds? You're probably doing closer to interval training than cardio, if you do it with intensity. I know if I do 10 3 min rounds w/1 min rest, it's much more like HIIT than LSD cardio. I guess my point is, I wouldn't think of going rounds on an empty stomach, or without plenty of carbs for recovery afterwards. You might want to look into using ground oatmeal instead of dextrose, or at least eat a complex carb-containing meal within 30 minutes.
Yeah, I am doing 1 or 2 minute rounds on the heavy bags with running in place, jumping jacks, or shadow boxing in between. Thanks for the advice.