besides cottage cheese

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
what are some other good slow digesting proteins?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
what are some other good slow digesting proteins?
Why are you so opposed to cottage cheese? I know you don't like the taste, but you can always add stuff to it to make it taste a whole lot better. I use ranch dressing and sunflower seeds and it tastes great. Fruit is an option (personally I like peaches or strawberries. Believe it or not tomatoes are good also. Options are out there, you just have to find them.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I RAPED IT 2 CUPS DOWN IN UNDER 10 MINUTES... thank god for who ever invented lemon pepper. Also isnt the purpose of cottage cheese to be a slow releasing protein with low carbs and fats? I think the ranch and sunflower seeds kinda negate that lol.

Last edited:
natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I RAPED IT 2 CUPS DOWN IN UNDER 10 MINUTES... thank god for who ever invented lemon pepper. Also isnt the purpose of cottage cheese to be a slow releasing protein with low carbs and fats? I think the ranch and sunflower seeds kinda negate that lol.
Sunflower seeds contain healthy fats and the ranch I use is fat free/carb free.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There are many options besides cottage cheese for night time snacks. Try grilling up chicken breasts and munching on those. You could also purchase a casein protein mix. I'll even cut off a piece of cheese (any kind) and eat that for my late night snack. Anything that contains little to no fat and protein will do the trick.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Gracias scott, I ended up going with egg whites and some tuna. :D

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I've noticed that the brand of cottage cheese makes a HUGE difference in the taste. The only kind i can eat (and actually love) is breakstone. It's in a red container, and tastes so much better than any other kind of cottage cheese i've ever eaten. They sell it in big tubs at sam's club too which is a big plus.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed that the brand of cottage cheese makes a HUGE difference in the taste. The only kind i can eat (and actually love) is breakstone. It's in a red container, and tastes so much better than any other kind of cottage cheese i've ever eaten. They sell it in big tubs at sam's club too which is a big plus.
I agree. Breakstone is a good cottage cheese. I have had others that were either too chunky or too watery or both. That's where I draw the line. Other than that I'd probably go with a night time protein mix of casein and milk protein.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Suck it up, oh and does Bobo know about this, lol.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Is there any sort of "index" that tells the digestion rate of different proteins (sort of like glycemic index for carbs)?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
bump on that jas, I would like info on this as well

R6Speed

Board Supporter
Awards
Add some splenda and like a 1/3 scoop chocolate protein powder to 1 cup of cottage cheese and it tastes great. Almost like pudding.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Add some splenda and like a 1/3 scoop chocolate protein powder to 1 cup of cottage cheese and it tastes great. Almost like pudding.
Wow. Now that sounds really gross...but I'll try anything once.

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
If you blend the stuff with some strawberries or blueberries and splenda its like a smoothie. I have never been able to eat cottage cheese without blending it.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I've seen that thread before, but I was curious how fast other protein sources like salmon, tuna, chicken, turkey, beef, etc. are digested relative to whey, casein, egg.
whole foods are always digested much slower, which i never got the whole cottage cheese as a staple for pre-bed meals. you can just as easily have chicken, steak, fish, etc....