Refined Carbs Leads to Fat not total carbs

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Hasnt Bobo been preaching this for quite some time now. Couldnt find the study but here is an article from the news.

Carbohydrate Type, Not Amount, Linked to Obesity

By Alison McCook

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - When it comes to carbohydrates, it's not how much you eat, but which kind, that makes a difference to your bathroom scale, new research shows.

People who are overweight do not appear to eat more carbohydrates overall than people who weigh less, the researchers report in the American Journal of Epidemiology. However, they found that overweight people tend to eat more refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and pasta, which cause a rapid spike in blood sugar.

"Total amount of carbohydrate is not related to body weight," Dr. Yunsheng Ma of the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester told Reuters Health. "It's the type of carbohydrate that's important."

These findings suggest that low-carbohydrate diets, which recommend people cut back on all carbohydrates, are missing the mark, Ma added.

"Carbohydrates are not the enemy," he said in an interview. "But you have to watch the kind of enemy."

Ma explained that refined carbohydrates are often found in processed foods that contain a lot of sugar. This type of carbohydrate has what's called a high glycemic index, meaning it causes a rapid increase in blood sugar. The body stores that sugar in muscle, but if it is not used, it becomes fat, he noted.

In contrast, whole grains, fruits and vegetables have carbohydrates that don't have such high glycemic index, Ma said.

In the report, Ma and his colleagues note that in the last 20 years, the rate of obesity has increased, despite the fact that people are eating less fat. To help investigate the role carbohydrates play in obesity, the researchers measured the height and weight of 572 healthy people, and asked them to regularly report what carbnhydrates they ate. Ma's team followed study participants for one year.

They found that people with a higher body mass index -- a measure of weight that factors in height -- tended to eat carbohydrates with a higher glycemic index. The amount of carbohydrates people ate had no influence on body mass index.

"Refined carbohydrates are no good, but the total amount of carbohydrates is okay," Ma noted.

He added that some countries now include a food's glycemic index on the labeling, which can be helpful for people trying to lose weight or deal with diabetes.

SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology, February 15; 2005

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
correlation =/= causation

it is also true that people who eat lots of refined carbs tend to binge eat (iow eat lots of fat and other stuff with the carbs and/or eat a lot in the hours after the ingestion of refined carbs)

iow, it is psychological factors as much as anything, and correlated behaviors

"refined carbs are no good" - that is crap

they have a place in a diet

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
agreed, I wouldnt say the refined carbs have no role in the diet but the general public does eat way too many of them. The majority of people see no difference in a pop tart or a bowl of oats except that the pop tart tastes better.

Plus theyre saying total amount of carbohydrate is not a related to bodyweight. I think most people could have a valid basis for disagreement there.

Like I said though I couldnt get to the full report that was actually published. ( I got this firewall problem going on)

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
like i said, refined carbs cause people to overeat fat, for instance (and are often combined with fat). this study doesn't mention the total caloric load between the two groups. so, i say it has little value

we all know that refined carbs cause a quick dump of insulin, then a hypoglycemic crash (if not properly countered). that can be bad, or it can be GOOD. depends.

for the average person, it's bad. but we're not average. :)