First contest prep

Bodymekanics

Bodymekanics

Awards
Alright guys and gals,

As a personal trainer I have a lot of background in over all nutrition, training and general fitness but the contest prep world is a totally different area than I am used to. So I wanted to get some general advice in the area of nutrition because that is my weak point currently. Not so much in the what to eat area but in the how much. I have worked down to 500 calories below maintenance and have no desire to go lower than that; in fact I may increase that a little bit more based on feed back from you guys and from the mirror. That part seems pretty straight forward to me and seems to be the best route in avoiding metabolic damage, major rebound when I increase cals again to gain size etc. I am currently sitting at 208lbs and around 15% body fat and would like to get down to 10% body fat. I know I will need to be lower for a contest but I haven't chosen a show yet and just want to get down to 10% before I look towards either leaning out more for a contest or putting on more mass; I am very patient and in no hurry to compete.

My main question for you guys is this: what are some strategies that YOU have had the most success in. I have researched and looked into various methods and was wondering what you guys found to be most effective? I.E. Carb cycling, refeed days every 5 days or so, etc. I want to be as effective as possible and figure this is a good place to learn more both for personal and professional use. Thank you everyone.

Btw, I work out 5x a week with 2 rest days a week. Intense and with 3 HIIT cardio sessions(give or take a day or two).

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
I cannot speak for precontest needs, as that is also not my forte. Im sitting at 16% bf looking to get to 10%. In regards to your question It depends on how aggressive you want to be. I am at a 1000 cal deficit and holding strength, and im also on keto. Everyone is different, but for me it works. Im very carb sensative so carb cycling never worked for me. If I were to reccomend anything it would only be what I know, and Im doing palumbos keto diet right now (google it for macros). Ive done this in the past to get from 15% to 9%, and this time around ive been on it for a month and ive lost 3% so far. (from 19% to 16%) Another big factor is if you are on AAS as this will determine a whole lot.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright guys and gals,

As a personal trainer I have a lot of background in over all nutrition, training and general fitness but the contest prep world is a totally different area than I am used to. So I wanted to get some general advice in the area of nutrition because that is my weak point currently. Not so much in the what to eat area but in the how much. I have worked down to 500 calories below maintenance and have no desire to go lower than that; in fact I may increase that a little bit more based on feed back from you guys and from the mirror. That part seems pretty straight forward to me and seems to be the best route in avoiding metabolic damage, major rebound when I increase cals again to gain size etc. I am currently sitting at 208lbs and around 15% body fat and would like to get down to 10% body fat. I know I will need to be lower for a contest but I haven't chosen a show yet and just want to get down to 10% before I look towards either leaning out more for a contest or putting on more mass; I am very patient and in no hurry to compete.

My main question for you guys is this: what are some strategies that YOU have had the most success in. I have researched and looked into various methods and was wondering what you guys found to be most effective? I.E. Carb cycling, refeed days every 5 days or so, etc. I want to be as effective as possible and figure this is a good place to learn more both for personal and professional use. Thank you everyone.

Btw, I work out 5x a week with 2 rest days a week. Intense and with 3 HIIT cardio sessions(give or take a day or two).
Holla homie!!!!!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Every time I go into a contest I tend to go into a CKD style diet with a refeed every saturday. Though I have realized that this is actually easier to live on a TKD. So a small switch and staying lean year round is pretty easy.

Training I keep the same, just a switch in diet.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Every time I go into a contest I tend to go into a CKD style diet with a refeed every saturday. Though I have realized that this is actually easier to live on a TKD. So a small switch and staying lean year round is pretty easy. Training I keep the same, just a switch in diet.
Some people find it rough to stay lean year round.

Currently I'm about to start carb cycling for my contest prep because that's what works well for me.

Everyone is different.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Every time I go into a contest I tend to go into a CKD style diet with a refeed every saturday. Though I have realized that this is actually easier to live on a TKD. So a small switch and staying lean year round is pretty easy.

Training I keep the same, just a switch in diet.
4 weeks out I add a second refeed,

2 high carb same cals
2 low carb low cal
3 normal keto days

Bodymekanics

Bodymekanics

Awards
Cool. I am doing this more in support of my girlfriend; I have no real desire to compete but if it helps her stay motivated and keeps her pushing towards her goals of eventually competing then I suppose I can do it for her. I am currently enjoying staying around 13% and moving up the scale while maintaining the same body fat % throughout.