High glycemic carbs

Christenson26

Christenson26

Awards
I've been cutting down on BF for the last month and a half. I went from 210-215 to about 202-205 now. I've cut out all my sugar just about and have been eating a pretty clean diet. Now to my question... Does it matter how many high glycemic carbs I take in as long as I'm not eating junk? My diet pretty much consist of a wheat wrap with chicken/pork/roast beef, spinach, tomatoes, onion, green peppers, with no sauce....no joke I eat like 3 of these a day. With a PB&J sometimes at night. I've noticed reading the nutrition labels that some of these contain a lot of carbs. But does that matter?

Christenson26

Christenson26

Awards
Pretty much what my food looks like Monday-Friday. I'm in college so I eat what the cafeteria can offer me. Beggars can't be choosers.

Attachments

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been cutting down on BF for the last month and a half. I went from 210-215 to about 202-205 now.
Congrats on the weight loss

Does it matter how many high glycemic carbs I take in as long as I'm not eating junk?
No, you do not have to limit yourself to bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc. Their "white" alternatives

My diet pretty much consist of a wheat wrap with chicken/pork/roast beef, spinach, tomatoes, onion, green peppers, with no sauce....no joke I eat like 3 of these a day. With a PB&J sometimes at night. I've noticed reading the nutrition labels that some of these contain a lot of carbs. But does that matter?
Only if the carbs are higher than how much you allotted for yourself

brolexander

brolexander

Awards
To help counter HI GI foods take some fiber with it in the form of powder, i use fiber supps (just soluble, no pysilium husk it actually slows your digestion too much) when ever i have high carb meals .

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty much what my food looks like Monday-Friday. I'm in college so I eat what the cafeteria can offer me. Beggars can't be choosers.
Mixing proteins n fats with carbs change glycemic load

Plus

100g carb from oats requires the same amount of insulin as 100g dextrose.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Mixing proteins n fats with carbs change glycemic load

Plus

100g carb from oats requires the same amount of insulin as 100g dextrose.
True. But is there something to consider relating to the the rate and peak of the insulin release? Would a 100g of dextrose cause more inflammation in the body?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True. But is there something to consider relating to the the rate and peak of the insulin release? Would a 100g of dextrose cause more inflammation in the body?
Via tnf-a?

I would thing it would cause the same inflammation as 100g of any other carb if talking about that specific marker of inflammation

I'm not 100% sure tho.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
High glycemic vs low glycemic is always thrown around and I'm starting to just lean to IIFYM more and more. That doesn't mean junk but I'm not sweating over a white tortilla vs a wheat and things of that nature.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
High glycemic vs low glycemic is always thrown around and I'm starting to just lean to IIFYM more and more. That doesn't mean junk but I'm not sweating over a white tortilla vs a wheat and things of that nature.
I agree when it comes to weight loss or gain, but a recent article in the Huffington post about a large scale study found a relationship between sugar intake and heart attacks when all factors such as caloric intake were accounted for. There must be something in the body's response to an influx of simple carbs rather than either complex carbs or carbs ingested with other macro nutrients.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree when it comes to weight loss or gain, but a recent article in the Huffington post about a large scale study found a relationship between sugar intake and heart attacks when all factors such as caloric intake were accounted for. There must be something in the body's response to an influx of simple carbs rather than either complex carbs or carbs ingested with other macro nutrients.
huffington post is hardly a scientific publication/source.

If you wish, you can post the link and I can see what research it any the article is based on

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
I seen that study but didn't read it. I assumed it was mostly geared toward the sedentary overweight crowd because I think most of us on here and with the lifestyles we lead, are in a different category?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
huffington post is hardly a scientific publication/source.

If you wish, you can post the link and I can see what research it any the article is based on
I agree, but the article was written by an MD and based on research published in a reputable journal. Link below. Keen to hear everyone's thoughts

Eggs Don't Cause Heart Attacks -- Sugar Does - http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4746440

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I seen that study but didn't read it. I assumed it was mostly geared toward the sedentary overweight crowd because I think most of us on here and with the lifestyles we lead, are in a different category?
The study involved 40,000 subjects and all other factors were accounted for including obesity. I haven't read the study, just going by the article.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been cutting down on BF for the last month and a half. I went from 210-215 to about 202-205 now. I've cut out all my sugar just about and have been eating a pretty clean diet. Now to my question... Does it matter how many high glycemic carbs I take in as long as I'm not eating junk? My diet pretty much consist of a wheat wrap with chicken/pork/roast beef, spinach, tomatoes, onion, green peppers, with no sauce....no joke I eat like 3 of these a day. With a PB&J sometimes at night. I've noticed reading the nutrition labels that some of these contain a lot of carbs. But does that matter?
Doesn't matter.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, but the article was written by an MD and based on research published in a reputable journal. Link below. Keen to hear everyone's thoughts

Eggs Don't Cause Heart Attacks -- Sugar Does - http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4746440
The study involved 40,000 subjects and all other factors were accounted for including obesity. I haven't read the study, just going by the article.
The study referenced in that huffpost is, http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573, which is observational research and we really can't make causal claims based off that kind of research.

Check this meta analysis on the topic out - http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.long