How does the Body Synthesize Protein without dietary Protein?

Angular Air

Awards
This is a question I've been wondering for awhile - can the body create protein structures/muscle without dietary protein?

How do large vegetarian animals get so big - like gorrillas and cows and elephants?

If one is on a cutting cycle, can the body make protein/muscle from it's fat stores or something like that?

I read an article where the author said the body synthesize's protein from the air we breathe, as the basic elements in air are the same as in protein (I thought this was BS though)

Last edited:
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a question I've been wondering for awhile - can the body create protein structures/muscle without dietary protein?

How do large vegetarian animals get so big - like gorrillas and cows and elephants?

If one is on a cutting cycle, can the body make protein/muscle from it's fat stores or something like that?

I read an article where the author said the body synthesize's protein from the air we breathe, as the basic elements in air are the same as in protein (I thought this was BS though)
I don't know if this will answer your question but..Your body can use muscle for energy through gluconeogenesis - protein from muscle tissue is converted to glucose. This is what happens a lot when you are on a restricted calorie diet. That would be one of the reasons to keep your protein intake higher during heavy dieting.

Angular Air

Awards
Well what I more mean is, how does the body build muscle without protein?

In other words, how do all these vegetarian animals grow so big and strong without protein?

Or how are top yogini's capable of incredible gymnastic feats of strength when they consume almost no dietary protein?

If a person can get bigger and stronger without protein in their diet, by what mechanism is the muscle building occurring by?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Any living organism has protein, be it plant or animal.

Western lowland gorillas are herbivorous, feeding on fruit, shoots, bulbs, a little tree bark, and leaves. While in captivity, they also prefer foods such as baked sweet potatoes or yams, baked bananas, oranges, other raw fruits and berries, milk, egg, dry cereal, and raisins. A silverback can eat up to 3 kg of vegetation a day. Contrary to popular belief, only captive gorillas eat meat.

So they eat a little over 6.6 pounds of vegetation a day. I am not a vegetarian by any means, but there is a mot to be said for the gorilla and his tremendous strength being that he only eats vegetation. You can argue about BVs, PDCAAs, and PNVs of proteins all day long then try telling a gorilla that he isn’t strong because he doesn’t get enough BCAAs from his PWN and let me know how that turns out. Same goes for cows and elephants getting their daily protein.

Also, as far as I know it’s not possible for the body to just produce protein without dietary intake. Protein is one of the single most important nutrients one has to consume daily and there is never any reason to cut it out. In fact, it’s pretty much impossible.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
One must also remember that the body derives protein from what are called Endogenous proteins. "Endogenous proteins include: *desquamated mucosal cells, which generate about 50 g of protein per day; and *digestive enzymes and glycoproteins, which generate about 17 g of protein per day. The digestive enzymes and glycoproteins are derived from digestive secretions of salivary glands, stomach, intestine, biliary tract, and pancreas. Most of these proteins, which may total 70 g or more a day, are digested and provide amino acids available for absorption." That was taken from "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism, 4th Edition, page 180. Huge props to Bobo for its recommendation. Of couse endogenous proteins would not provide the essential aminos, otherwise they wouldn't be essential.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Your body produces most of the amino acids it needs per day except for the 9 essential amino's. Those 9 have to be gotten through the diet. This means your body proäuces what it needs to survive not build muscle. As for gorillas growing big - different species different genetics.
For how your body produces those aminos I'd have to start looking in books again to explain that and truthfully Im just too lazy right now.

sowtime444

Awards
yes

The book "The Live Food Factor" (Schenck) describes how the body creates protein from eating things like greens, etc.