1 week high carb?

Rush8780

Rush8780

Awards
After doing 6 weeks of low carb and 3 of that being carb deplete with 7th day refeed would it be wise to run a high carb week to kinda kick fat burning back up? Or would it stall my fat loss more?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After doing 6 weeks of low carb and 3 of that being carb deplete with 7th day refeed would it be wise to run a high carb week to kinda kick fat burning back up? Or would it stall my fat loss more?
If you run a high carb week keep it within your calories

Or you can do refeeds every 3-4days depending on how lean you are

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carbs dont "kick start" fat burning.

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Carbs dont "kick start" fat burning.
True. But they can help to restore depleted leptin levels which would benefit fat loss.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True. But they can help to restore depleted leptin levels which would benefit fat loss.
Leptin causes a down stream effect on the way your body burns fat

It's proven.

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Leptin causes a down stream effect on the way your body burns fat

It's proven.
Science. I'd say try maybe 2 weeks taking in 200+ carbs on workout days doing 80g fat max. You probably can get away with 1g protein/lb of bw as a maximal effective intake. It might serve you better to get a small surplus on Workout days then do low carb on Non-WO days. It's worth a try at least :) If you have time. Trial and error ^

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
if you are doing a ketogenic diet you are relying on that process to lose the fat. your metabolism may come into play more when you are dieting with regular macros, so imo you should stick to low carbs until the time you have reached your fatloss goals. even then ease into the new diet with moderate carb intake for awhile.
its not a bad thing to carb up for 5 days but it may spill over a bit. drink tons of water during your carb ups.

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
if you are doing a ketogenic diet you are relying on that process to lose the fat. your metabolism may come into play more when you are dieting with regular macros, so imo you should stick to low carbs until the time you have reached your fatloss goals. even then ease into the new diet with moderate carb intake for awhile.
its not a bad thing to carb up for 5 days but it may spill over a bit. drink tons of water always.
fixed ;)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no evidence to support the idea that the abscence carbs will prevent of inhibit fat loss.

Leptin is another animal in itself whoch admittedly I dont fully understand and would defer to EBF Inc comments

Ultimately my original comment was in response to the idea that carbs kick start fat burning which implied the absence of carbs slowed or inhibited it and he needed carbs in order to losse fat again, which the evidence does not support.

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
There is no evidence to support the idea that the abscence carbs will prevent of inhibit fat loss.

Leptin is another animal in itself whoch admittedly I dont fully understand and would defer to EBF Inc comments

Ultimately my original comment was in response to the idea that carbs kick start fat burning which implied the absence of carbs slowed or inhibited it and he needed carbs in order to losse fat again, which the evidence does not support.
Thanks. I've read otherwise, but I can't be certain that it was backed by proper studies in this case. I defer to you guys of course, and would be interested in the studies that show no difference in fat loss on extended carb depletion protocols.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know leptin does play a role and is related to carbohydrate intake but as I said my understanding of it needs some work

As for the research, there is a thread here where a guy posted several studies claiming carbs blunted fat loss and I responded to each of them. Lemme see if I can find that one for you

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Leptin is depleted from fat cells over time on a diet. Just like a lot of fat burners deplete leptin levels as well. It's important to bring them back up to speed IMO. That doesn't necessaritly mean carbs as saturated fats can increase insulin and thus leptin levels. Think about a fat load. I'd use coconut oil for this specifically. But it's about overdressing causing the increase.

Leptin increases a host of different hormones and inhibits others. It's role in hunger as well

I've mentioned a post somewhere on AM

Leptin when increased (from the release of insulin) binds to pancreatic receptors and turns off the secretion on insulin. It increases CART and POMC to reduce hunger, increase fat burning as well as catecholamines

It is much more in depth but this is the gist

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Leptin is depleted from fat cells over time on a diet. Just like a lot of fat burners deplete leptin levels as well. It's important to bring them back up to speed IMO. That doesn't necessaritly mean carbs as saturated fats can increase insulin and thus leptin levels. Think about a fat load. I'd use coconut oil for this specifically. But it's about overdressing causing the increase.

Leptin increases a host of different hormones and inhibits others. It's role in hunger as well

I've mentioned a post somewhere on AM

Leptin when increased (from the release of insulin) binds to pancreatic receptors and turns off the secretion on insulin. It increases CART and POMC to reduce hunger, increase fat burning as well as catecholamines

It is much more in depth but this is the gist
So you're saying that saturated fats can raise Leptin levels? That would be good news indeed. I wonder to what extent, and how effectively vs carbs.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kudos Josh

Not only do I appreciate the sincerity/honesty In your post (as opposed to trying I BS everyone like many on these boards) but I share your sentiment on Leptin.

For whatever reason, this hormone is an enigma to me and at times, flat out mysterious.

I have never fully grasped it's implications. Every time I think I am starting to get a handle on it- I'm lost again.

I would venture to say that even in the medical community - it's poorly misunderstood and hence, misapplied information ensues.

I have never heard anyone on this board speak on Leptin with any convincing authority; save EBF and Coop.

I know leptin does play a role and is related to carbohydrate intake but as I said my understanding of it needs some work As for the research, there is a thread here where a guy posted several studies claiming carbs blunted fat loss and I responded to each of them. Lemme see if I can find that one for you

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Any comments on coconut oil only containing 40 to 60 % mcts and the rest are long chain?
I've always heard they're roughly 50% mct's.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
So it's based on what they advertise, or a 3rd party analysis?
It's based on the product. They advertise in a way it makes it seem like it's 100% mcts. In reality it doesn't work out that way. I believe it's 3rd party. Independent labs. Laughing at people who watch cholesterol and take this to lower. Not saying mct's aren't healthy. Just don't buy into marketing.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's based on the product. They advertise in a way it makes it seem like it's 100% mcts. In reality it doesn't work out that way. I believe it's 3rd party. Independent labs. Laughing at people who watch cholesterol and take this to lower. Not saying mct's aren't healthy. Just don't buy into marketing.
I do however believe now foods sell a 100% mcts oil. Haven't used personally. Haven't been that interested in mcts.