Fructose as a Low GI carb

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've seen it mentioned that fruits, and more specifically Fructrose as not an ideal carb to use throughout the day. With a GI of 25, it seems that it would fit well. I don't remember why this was. Can anyone elaborate for me?

I ask this because I've found a relatively low-cost supplier of Fructose powder. As much as I'm busy, I try my best to get as many of my cals from Oats as possible. But face it, I just hate oats. It hasn't stopped me from taking them, but I think I could improve my diet if I had a shot at mixing it up a bit.

Being a poor college student, I make my diet cheap, effective, and as hassle free as possible.

taffer

Awards
the only reason fructose isnt "evil" is because it naturally occurs in fruit in small levels, using it as a sweetener isnt good because its very concentrated, much like HFCS, so you want to stay away from it

it may seem healthier, but its not :)

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What do you mean by very concentrated?

the only reason fructose isnt "evil" is because it naturally occurs in fruit in small levels, using it as a sweetener isnt good because its very concentrated, much like HFCS, so you want to stay away from it

it may seem healthier, but its not :)

taffer

Awards
well for 100g of fructose you get 100g of carbs-fructose (or 97 :p)

if you compare that to 100g of apple where you get about 6g of fructose and a TON of other health benefits

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I understand that completely. I was just questioning if adding fructose instead of oats for one of my shakes would make it a terrible carb choice. I'd be using Fructose as a carb during my bulk, because I have problems getting enough carbs into my diet.

taffer

Awards
i'd suggest against going for fructose in any case, why not just drink soda or something more tasty?

im 100% pro fruit, but fructose really has limited uses in the body, the reason why people say fruit isnt evil, is because it comes with VAST nutritional benefits, and the amount of fructose is actually quite small (small amounts of fructose are beneficial)

larger amounts of fructose will just make you fat, as we see in the case of HFCS, large amounts and high concentrations of fructose result in a high chance of triglyceride synthesis

if you need more carbs, i can think of a TON of better foods that are far more nutritious

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
larger amounts of fructose will just make you fat, as we see in the case of HFCS, large amounts and high concentrations of fructose result in a high chance of triglyceride synthesis
This is exactly what i'm looking for an explaination. How does a Low GI sugar such as fructose act differently than a grain like oat?

taffer

Awards
fructose will fill up your liver glycogen, oats can be broken down into glucose and can go straight to your blood/muscles

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Maybe my problem here is just a very basic knowledge of food nutrition. Why would Fructose store in liver glycogen and not be converted to glucose like normal carbohydrates?

taffer

Awards
because your body cant use fructose as an energy source, it needs glucose, so it must goto the liver, then be converted if needed

if you take in tons of fructose at one time, this will fill up liver glycogen very fast(in addition to whats already there, your liver can only store 100g of glycogen), and if you dont really need any more glucose in your blood because of other food sources (no reason to convert to fructose to glucose) some liver glycogen will spill over into fat