Failed My Carb Fast & Refeed

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
I am 44 years old. I have been weight lifting since I was 15 and have been on and off AAS for 4 years but never being off more than 8 weeks. I am currently not on cycle and ended PCT 3 weeks ago.

About 3 weeks ago I went on a moderate carb diet, eating only brown rice, whole wheat bread and sweet potatoes for carbohydrates and fish and chicken for protein. I was 189 lbs. with 11.5% body fat.
I was still lifting heavy and doing cardio 4 days per week.
After 3 weeks I went down to 187 lbs. and to 10.3% body fat.
I had been at 10.6% once before since I got into my late 30's but I have never been able to break it. (When I was in my early 20's I was 8.5% body fat).

So then I began my 3 day carb fast and 4th day refeed. In 2 days I went form 187 lbs. to 185 lbs. and my body fat dropped to 10%. I tested my ketoes with the ketostix I bought but I was still no where near ketosis. The first day I had 6 meals and was still hungry, by day two I had eaten 3 meals and was hungry and was a about to make something when I got home but fell asleep. When I woke up I had an overwhelming urge to have carbs. I broke and ate 6 bowls of Fiber One ceral with Lactaid milk.

Afterward I was so tired I fell back to sleep and didn't get up until this morning, I missed the gym.
I failed, any comments or suggestions? I can't seem to get below 10%.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
you will need to simply toughen up.. seriously, 3 days?? you should be able to do that blind folded.. tough love I know..
maybe you should try to add some extra coconut oil/ fish oils for energy on low carb days... and add some dexaprine with forsk 95 .. itll keep hunger low and the combo really helps to lower body fat.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
If your truly close to 10% bodyfat and looking to get below, I would suggest only refeeding once a week. If this is your first time doing ketosis or haven't done it in a while you really should skip the first weeks refeed and go two weeks before refeeding. It takes almost two weeks for the body to become fully keto adapted. By refeeding too often the body never really adapts.

What were your macro's at?

I also find when cutting, I like to keep my meal count lower with bigger meals. ( I also like to fast 16/8)

I personnally love keto and feel better compared to a standard diet, but every now and then the demons in my head do crave carbs, but it is important to remember what you are doing and why it is important to you.

Keto isnt for everyone, and it is not necessary to reach any goal. You just have to find what works for your personal lifestyle and needs.

I don't like to advocate supplements until diet is on point, but if hunger control is a problem there are numerous supps that can help. I found Alphamine to work wonders.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
you will need to simply toughen up.. seriously, 3 days?? you should be able to do that blind folded.. tough love I know..
maybe you should try to add some extra coconut oil/ fish oils for energy on low carb days... and add some dexaprine with forsk 95 .. itll keep hunger low and the combo really helps to lower body fat.
Yes, I know, 3 days doesnt seem like a lot but I can deal with the cravings, I can't deal with the hunger. For 2 days, no matter how much I ate, I would be hungry withing 1-2 hours. Back when I was 30, I did the Atkins diet. I remember going 2-3 weeks without any carbs; but back then I was also on ephedrine. You're saying if I use dexaprine and forsk 95 it will curb my appetite?

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
If your truly close to 10% bodyfat and looking to get below, I would suggest only refeeding once a week. If this is your first time doing ketosis or haven't done it in a while you really should skip the first weeks refeed and go two weeks before refeeding. It takes almost two weeks for the body to become fully keto adapted. By refeeding too often the body never really adapts.

What were your macro's at?

I also find when cutting, I like to keep my meal count lower with bigger meals. ( I also like to fast 16/8)

I personnally love keto and feel better compared to a standard diet, but every now and then the demons in my head do crave carbs, but it is important to remember what you are doing and why it is important to you.

Keto isnt for everyone, and it is not necessary to reach any goal. You just have to find what works for your personal lifestyle and needs.

I don't like to advocate supplements until diet is on point, but if hunger control is a problem there are numerous supps that can help. I found Alphamine to work wonders.
Without some appetite suppressor there is no way I can do 2 weeks without any carbs at all. If I were at least allowed some nuts to get me through, then I could do it; but I believe nuts have carbs in them too.
You might say this is my first carb fast; but really, back when I was 30, I did the Atkins diet; but I did it with ephedrine, so my appetite was kept down.
Right now, my marcos are 45% carbs, 35%-40% protein and 20%-15% fat. I can upload a pic to show if you think I'm at 10% or not.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
Almonds are my go to. I only count net carbs. I've never had any issues with them kicking me out.

Plenty of people have done keto and can go long periods without carbs, which leads me to believe that mentally you are counting yourself out. so for you to say that you can't, you might as well just face the fact that you may never reach sub 10%.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
Almonds are my go to. I only count net carbs. I've never had any issues with them kicking me out.

Plenty of people have done keto and can go long periods without carbs, which leads me to believe that mentally you are counting yourself out. so for you to say that you can't, you might as well just face the fact that you may never reach sub 10%.
So I can have say, flax seeds and hazel nuts and not have to worry about them kicking me out of ketosis? I ay very well need an appetite suppressant. What do you suggest? The guy above recommended dexaprine.
I'm going to post a pic of me now.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed Alphamine for suppression and added fat loss,

Since your probably going to forget about keto, have you ever thought about IF?

Leangains may be something for you to look up.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
I enjoyed Alphamine for suppression and added fat loss,

Since your probably going to forget about keto, have you ever thought about IF?

Leangains may be something for you to look up.
What's IF?

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
Intermittent fasting. (IF)

there are many different protocols.

Main premise- fast for an extended period of time, short feeding window.

I've been following my own version of Leangains, which is a 16 hour fast and an 8 hour feeding window. I finish eating at 8pm every night and do not eat or drink anything besides water and coffee until noon the next day. The Leangains protocol is a form of carb cycling with high med, and low carb days. leangains.com

Where I differ is I combined it with CKD, no carbs all week, one refeed on the weekend.

This is were I loved Alphamine (damn I sound like a rep). without any stims, at hours 13-14 I would begin to notice hunger, but with alphamine I usually never had any major urges to eat until it was time.

16 hours is definitely my limit, but others do warrior (20/4) and their are other versions that you fast for a whole 24 hours 1-2 times a week.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
Intermittent fasting. (IF)

there are many different protocols.

Main premise- fast for an extended period of time, short feeding window.

I've been following my own version of Leangains, which is a 16 hour fast and an 8 hour feeding window. I finish eating at 8pm every night and do not eat or drink anything besides water and coffee until noon the next day. The Leangains protocol is a form of carb cycling with high med, and low carb days. leangains.com

Where I differ is I combined it with CKD, no carbs all week, one refeed on the weekend.

This is were I loved Alphamine (damn I sound like a rep). without any stims, at hours 13-14 I would begin to notice hunger, but with alphamine I usually never had any major urges to eat until it was time.

16 hours is definitely my limit, but others do warrior (20/4) and their are other versions that you fast for a whole 24 hours 1-2 times a week.
Yes, I just looked into Leangains.com. Thank you.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yes, I know, 3 days doesnt seem like a lot but I can deal with the cravings, I can't deal with the hunger. For 2 days, no matter how much I ate, I would be hungry withing 1-2 hours. Back when I was 30, I did the Atkins diet. I remember going 2-3 weeks without any carbs; but back then I was also on ephedrine. You're saying if I use dexaprine and forsk 95 it will curb my appetite?
yes that's what im saying.. this will have a bigger effect than ephedrine

alphamine and dexaprine are both similar in their effects. alphamine is a drink and dex is a pill.

exrugger

Awards

Under 30g of carbs for 4.5 months straight (excluding almonds, found they never kick me out of ketosis), dropped 45lbs. I used ketostix though to make sure I never left keto. Now I'm on CKD and fat loss accelerated again. Overall I started around 255lbs 26% bf in April, now I'm 220lbs 11.3% bf(caliper method) and still dropping. If you aren't feeling full or lacking energy it's because you aren't consuming enough fat (try coconut oil, almonds, fish oil).

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bro add more greens, and slam water. You'll be ight

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Without some appetite suppressor there is no way I can do 2 weeks without any carbs at all. If I were at least allowed some nuts to get me through, then I could do it; but I believe nuts have carbs in them too.
You might say this is my first carb fast; but really, back when I was 30, I did the Atkins diet; but I did it with ephedrine, so my appetite was kept down.
Right now, my marcos are 45% carbs, 3w5%-40% protein and 20%-15% fat. I can upload a pic to show if you think I'm at 10% or not.
No one has seemed to catch your last line. Are you doing a keto diet or not? Those macros are no where close to being a keto diet. You need 60-70% from fat, 25-35% from protein, and I keep carbs under 25 grams per day. I keep my protein at around 1 gram per lean pound of body weight. But no matter what, if the fat is at 60-70% for the day, I am good. I started this Sunday cold turkey and haven't had any issues with being hungry. The extra fats help keep me feeling full longer.

I usually do eggs/bacon for breakfast.
2oz almonds for snack/munchies
2 meals with frozen green veggies, which are the steamer bag with a net 12g carbs, and 6oz chicken breast and olive oil.
This week I have been having some boiled eggs plain after workout close to 6pm
Then last meal is 4oz ground beef, 1oz shredded cheese and 2 tbs of chipotle dressing. It has been right around 2100 calories each day.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
No one has seemed to catch your last line. Are you doing a keto diet or not? Those macros are no where close to being a keto diet. You need 60-70% from fat, 25-35% from protein, and I keep carbs under 25 grams per day. I keep my protein at around 1 gram per lean pound of body weight. But no matter what, if the fat is at 60-70% for the day, I am good. I started this Sunday cold turkey and haven't had any issues with being hungry. The extra fats help keep me feeling full longer.

I usually do eggs/bacon for breakfast.
2oz almonds for snack/munchies
2 meals with frozen green veggies, which are the steamer bag with a net 12g carbs, and 6oz chicken breast and olive oil.
This week I have been having some boiled eggs plain after workout close to 6pm
Then last meal is 4oz ground beef, 1oz shredded cheese and 2 tbs of chipotle dressing. It has been right around 2100 calories each day.
The last line was NOT my Keto diet. It is what I am doing now. Your meal plan would still leave me hungry. If You would include say 1 pumpkin pie, then I can make it.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I would opt for something to help with your hunger levels if you can. Just like what Ripp and Bruiser said, Dexaprine or alphamine will help keep your hunger level down. Currently I am talking 1/2 Dexaprine pill in the morning and if I need to the other 1/2 later in the day. This has kept me on track as I am looking myself to cut down.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
The last line was NOT my Keto diet. It is what I am doing now. Your meal plan would still leave me hungry. If You would include say 1 pumpkin pie, then I can make it.
Heres some Information for you...what if I told you that you don't have to do ckd or keto to get below 10%? Calorie restriction along with a refeed every week or every 3 days can help. Note when I say r efeed I mean up to your maintenance.

For example..... 3200 is my maintenance. Dropping 200 calories will put me at a 1400 calorie deficit. 2 refeeds 300 calories each all carbs will put me at an 800 calorie deficit. Means im still losing fat.

Carbs are anti catabolic.

If you enjoy keto...
Just remember your carbs have to be low and so does your protein. 30% or under for keto rest fats. Why? Your body can kick you outa keto by turning protein into glucose instead of using fat for fuel. This will be catabolic and counter productive.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
Heres some Information for you...what if I told you that you don't have to do ckd or keto to get below 10%? Calorie restriction along with a refeed every week or every 3 days can help. Note when I say r efeed I mean up to your maintenance.

For example..... 3200 is my maintenance. Dropping 200 calories will put me at a 1400 calorie deficit. 2 refeeds 300 calories each all carbs will put me at an 800 calorie deficit. Means im still losing fat.

If you enjoy keto...
Just remember your carbs have to be low and so does your protein. 30% or under for keto rest fats. Why? Your body can kick you outa keto by turning protein into glucose instead of using fat for fuel. This will be catabolic and counter productive.
Couple of questions. What is ckd?
Also, I'm sorry, I'm not following the math. if your maintenance is 3200 and you drop 200, wouldnt you be at 2800? Where do you get 1400 from?
Also, what kinds of fats are filling? Would you still suggest a appetite suppressant?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Couple of questions. What is ckd?
Also, I'm sorry, I'm not following the math. if your maintenance is 3200 and you drop 200, wouldnt you be at 2800? Where do you get 1400 from?
Also, what kinds of fats are filling? Would you still suggest a appetite suppressant?
I ment per week sorry. 1400 per week deficit at 3000 calories per day. Depends on your hunger

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
I ment per week sorry. 1400 per week deficit at 3000 calories per day. Depends on your hunger
If you are at 3200 maintenance and do a 200 calorie deficit that's just 6.25% caloric deficit.
Also, what is ckd? Chronic Kidney Disease? What about cardio?

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
What is ckd?
Cyclical Keto Diet

its just a form of Keto, zero carbs Monday-Saturday. Sunday you refeed with the mass majority of you diet coming from carbs to restore glycogen levels for the week. Lyle Mcdonald first popularized it, and there are other protocols such as Carb Nite, that people follow.

Like Pyro stated, Ketosis is not necessary to hit sub 10%, but it is a way.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are at 3200 maintenance and do a 200 calorie deficit that's just 6.25% caloric deficit.
Also, what is ckd? Chronic Kidney Disease? What about cardio?
You don't need a 500 calorie deficit to lose bodyfat.right out the gate. Thats gonna cause more muscle loss than I would like I diet like im doing a pre contest diet. Slow and steady. Allows max muscle retention. When I feel progress is stalled I reduce my deficit by 100 or add 10 more minutes cardio or 1 30 minute session. Equates the same.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established

If you enjoy keto...
But this would take you a long time to lose fat. It would take 4 weeks to drop 1lb.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
But this would take you a long time to lose fat. It would take 4 weeks to drop 1lb.
Considering 3500 or whatever outlandish number they say equals a pound you would be right

Here in the real world though I have dropped 2 lbs a week *not water* using this method without any substances.

Im also 6'5 but ...Shouldn't matter that much.