intermittent caloric restriction

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
eating 2 low calorie days a week with 5 normal eating days works better for fat loss, insulin, and leptin sensitivity than daily calorie restriction

The effect of intermittent energy and carbohydrate... [Br J Nutr. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of intermittent energy and carbohydrate restriction v. daily energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers in overweight women

Abstract
Intermittent energy restriction may result in greater improvements in insulin sensitivity and weight control than daily energy restriction (DER). We tested two intermittent energy and carbohydrate restriction (IECR) regimens, including one which allowed ad libitum protein and fat (IECR+PF). Overweight women (n 115) aged 20 and 69 years with a family history of breast cancer were randomised to an overall 25 % energy restriction, either as an IECR (2500–2717 kJ/d, < 40 g carbohydrate/d for 2 d/week) or a 25 % DER (approximately 6000 kJ/d for 7 d/week) or an IECR+PF for a 3-month weight-loss period and 1 month of weight maintenance (IECR or IECR+PF for 1 d/week). Insulin resistance reduced with the IECR diets (mean − 0·34 (95 % CI − 0·66, − 0·02) units) and the IECR+PF diet (mean − 0·38 (95 % CI − 0·75, − 0·01) units). Reductions with the IECR diets were significantly greater compared with the DER diet (mean 0·2 (95 % CI − 0·19, 0·66) μU/unit, P= 0·02). Both IECR groups had greater reductions in body fat compared with the DER group (IECR: mean − 3·7 (95 % CI − 2·5, − 4·9) kg, P= 0·007; IECR+PF: mean − 3·7 (95 % CI − 2·8, − 4·7) kg, P= 0·019; DER: mean − 2·0 (95 % CI − 1·0, 3·0) kg). During the weight maintenance phase, 1 d of IECR or IECR+PF per week maintained the reductions in insulin resistance and weight. In the short term, IECR is superior to DER with respect to improved insulin sensitivity and body fat reduction. Longer-term studies into the safety and effectiveness of IECR diets are warranted.

testosteroni

Awards
Very interesting and confirms some of the experience I have had with intermittent fasting. Personally, I find this sort of protocol easier to stick to than daily calorie restriction anyways....It feels more natural....which might be confirmation bias but during the majority of our evolution intermittent fasting was the norm...

Anyways, thanks for sharing. I think this can especially helpful for people not so dedicated to fitness and have a hard time mentally "dieting" in the classical sense. For us folks, will power is usually more abundant.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I agree to an extent. I usually like to rotate calorie levels through the week after I have determined my maintenance level requirements. It allows a little variety through the week and like today, I was out on the road longer than I thought, so it became a low calorie day, albeit lower than I really wanted. But it works out if you know how much you need across the week.