treadmill or elliptical

Hope

Awards
Hi all,

I am shifting from stationary bike workout to either treadmill, or elliptical trainer.I do cardio for at least 30 min/5 days a week.I have used treadmill in the past, but not elliptical.Even though the elliptical puts less strain on knees, but is it effective enough as compared to treadmill ?

My choice for treadmill.

Sole Treadmills: F63 SOLE Treadmill

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe my heart rate actually gets higher on the elliptical so that means more calories burned. You use your upper body some w the eliptical. What I do is alternate between them both to keep my body guessing and not getting too used to one specific routine.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
Its really up to you and what feels best, being a taller guy myself, I have found very few elliptical that fit my natural movement. I prefer LISS, walking on a treadmill on a steep incline for 30-40 mins, but if I'm in a pinch I'll do HIIT on a bike for 20 mins.

It not the machine that does the work, its you. Movement is movement regardless of what platform you use.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love the elliptical just because I feel like I get more of a workout. In the end, it's your decision. :D

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I prefer a treadmill over these two. Anything where you need to support your own bw will give you more results.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
elliptical enforces bad motor learning

treadmill is weight bearing and hurts for overweight people

pick your poison

strength training beats both

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
What are your goals? You technically don't need EITHER.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Stepmill beats all of them in my book and is hard as hell...why you rarely see people using it.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I would go with elliptical and some Dexaprine XR.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HIIT cardio on elliptical is my go to for cardio.....while they both have limitation on incline, the treadmill also has limitation on speed where the eliptical you can really push as fast as you can

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I prefer running/ sprinting outside or the step mill. pop a dexaprineXR a hour before and you are set!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I personally preferr the treadmill out of the two options you are asking about. Assuming fat loss is what your after, I put my clients on Dexaprine xR along with hitting the step mill or spin bike. Each peice is used differently, it all depends what your after and what time you have.

Hope

Awards
Thanks for replying guys. My goal are to maintain general cardio health.

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
I have used both in the past and they both allowed me to hit my targets I had set. I will say however I can get a greater calorie burn when I involve my arms on the elliptical. You may be able to do the same however I was more concerned with falling off while swinging my arms wildly while on the treadmill.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Thanks for replying guys. My goal are to maintain general cardio health.
Anything that elevates your heart rate will achieve this goal. You could even do metabolic conditioning circuits with weights and achieve the desired effect.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I have a bad endurance problem, can't run for long periods of time to save my life, but can do sprints but no long term running.

So if I'm gunning for long periods I would choose elliptical. If HIIT running on incline. If I'm sore I'll also do elliptical as it is easier on the joints and muscle

gmanall

Awards
elliptical enforces bad motor learning

treadmill is weight bearing and hurts for overweight people

pick your poison

strength training beats both
What I came in to say, the best cardio is the kind you enjoy and will stick with. I personally use kettle bells when I do cardio, I find it more engaging and strenuous. Also lol at all the iForce reps