Spoonfuls of honey make dieting easy as falling asleep

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Spoonfuls of honey make dieting easy as falling asleep


    This caught my eye on the BBC - Could there be any truth to this???

    Spoonfuls of honey make dieting easy as falling asleep

    CHRISTINA STOKES


    A SCOTTISH pharmacist has developed a new diet which allows slimmers to burn fat while they sleep by eating honey before bed.

    Mike McInnes, 61, came up with the diet when he was helping athletes with their nutrition. He discovered that eating foods rich in fructose, such as dried fruits and honey, helps people burn fat and increase stamina.

    The body burns more fat during the first four hours of sleep than it does during any other activity, including exercise.

    Eating two teaspoonfuls of honey before bedtime and doing resistance exercise three times a week helps to stimulate this process.

    Mr McInnes said most of the commonly-held wisdom about weight loss is not true.

    He said: "People think they can lose weight by not eating in the evenings, or by cutting out carbohydrates.

    "And they are told that spending hours in the gym will help them lose weight.

    "Of course, spending time in the gym gets you fit - but in an hour of aerobic activity you only burn an ounce of fat.

    "This diet uses recovery biology, the process which burns nothing but fat.

    "The most important time for fat-burning is in the first four hours of sleep."


  2. Anyone game to try it?
    •   
       


  3. doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but i'm no diet guru

  4. I am confused

  5. Hmm, eating liquid sugar (fructose no less) right before bed, when dieting...I think I'll pass on that idea.
    •   
       


  6. it would have to be raw, pure honey. Not shop-rite brand if anything. Maybe even Royal Jelly.

  7. Bull****.

  8. Well, all the honey would do is cause glucose levels to go up which causes an insulin spike. This means any nutrients you have in your stomach would get absorbed faster. I guess it could be reasoned that for the remainder of your sleep you have an empty stomach... Maybe he thinks when the carbs in your stomach are gone sooner the body will make use of it's efficient 4 hour fat burning state (so he claims) to feed off of fat on your body. I would think your body would go catabolic and burn more muscle than anything, though.

    I think I will stick with my protein shake and flax before bed

  9. fat chance department. Maybe they should rub honey on the adipose tissue areas of concern and try that too. (but do that right before you exercise). Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical...

  10. Well the only time your body uses 100% fat for fuel is when your RER (Respiratory Exchange Ratio) is at 0.71. When is your RER at 0.71 you ask, only when your body is at Rest. As the intenisty gets higher your body slowly shift to carbs.

    Hmmm makes you wonder.....

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Pfunk47
    This caught my eye on the BBC - Could there be any truth to this???

    Spoonfuls of honey make dieting easy as falling asleep

    CHRISTINA STOKES


    A SCOTTISH pharmacist has developed a new diet which allows slimmers to burn fat while they sleep by eating honey before bed.

    Mike McInnes, 61, came up with the diet when he was helping athletes with their nutrition. He discovered that eating foods rich in fructose, such as dried fruits and honey, helps people burn fat and increase stamina.

    The body burns more fat during the first four hours of sleep than it does during any other activity, including exercise.

    Eating two teaspoonfuls of honey before bedtime and doing resistance exercise three times a week helps to stimulate this process.

    Mr McInnes said most of the commonly-held wisdom about weight loss is not true.

    He said: "People think they can lose weight by not eating in the evenings, or by cutting out carbohydrates.

    "And they are told that spending hours in the gym will help them lose weight.

    "Of course, spending time in the gym gets you fit - but in an hour of aerobic activity you only burn an ounce of fat.

    "This diet uses recovery biology, the process which burns nothing but fat.

    "The most important time for fat-burning is in the first four hours of sleep."
    You mean all this time and energy spent on learning the science and phisiologic response to optimal nutrition and exercise has all been for naught?? All I had to to to get ripped is eat honey!?

    AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

  12. 2 Teaspoons is nothing, hell i'll give it a try.

  13. Jminis, are you telling me when sleeping the body uses only fat for fuel.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by theamazing3000
    Jminis, are you telling me when sleeping the body uses only fat for fuel.
    Not "only" fat, but the highest ratio of fat to glucose. Blood sugar drops as you fast during sleep. Overnight, the liver releases its store of glycogen to support Brain and nervous system activity. Your brain can only use glucose and oxygen for fuel. Since the body is at rest, aerobic fat burning activity easily keeps metabolism moving along in your muscles.

  15. say bye bye to your GH secretion too if you are downing honey before bed. Insulin is inversly proportionate to GH in the body.

  16. Well I tried the honey last night withOUT good results.

    When I woke up I the sheets were STUCK where ever I applied the honey. Tomorrow maybe I will just wear a T-shirt when I use it. I will let everyone know how it goes. Infact maybe I will start my 'Honey Log'

  17. are you using dermabolic's transdermal honeycort?
  18. Wink


    Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Well I tried the honey last night withOUT good results.

    When I woke up I the sheets were STUCK where ever I applied the honey. Tomorrow maybe I will just wear a T-shirt when I use it. I will let everyone know how it goes. Infact maybe I will start my 'Honey Log'

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Funny Monkey
    say bye bye to your GH secretion too if you are downing honey before bed. Insulin is inversly proportionate to GH in the body.
    Yes, that is true but it would only be a small portion of the time you sleep. You're insulin isn't going to get spiked for 8 hours from eating fructose.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Well I tried the honey last night withOUT good results.

    When I woke up I the sheets were STUCK where ever I applied the honey. Tomorrow maybe I will just wear a T-shirt when I use it. I will let everyone know how it goes. Infact maybe I will start my 'Honey Log'

    That to damn funny!!!
    Hey dont you know that is what the GF/Wife is for. Trust me when you wake up the sheets might still be stuck, but the honey will be gone

    SR

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Stingray

    That to damn funny!!!
    Hey dont you know that is what the GF/Wife is for. Trust me when you wake up the sheets might still be stuck, but the honey will be gone

    SR

    Holy CRAP you were right.


    BUT I am covered with little red bumps that hurt like hell. And right in the middle of each bump is something that looks like a stinger ????
  22. darius
    darius's Avatar

    lol I can see it now..

    Day 5 - Honey Log
    I didnt think that I had a pest problem, but this morning I woke up covered in ants.

    Hahhaa

  23. Quote Originally Posted by biggjohn
    Yes, that is true but it would only be a small portion of the time you sleep. You're insulin isn't going to get spiked for 8 hours from eating fructose.
    I believe that the GH secretion is within one hour of sleep or when the body goes into REM sleep and then cortisol levels begin to steadly rise until you wake and bye the time you wake up carbs or no carbs cortisol is dominant

  24. hell i might try it. Can someone give me a source that has more info on this? if there is any

  25. anyone know more about this?

  26. Friend - it is bull****.

    Get your diet and training in order if you need to lose fat.

  27. I stopped reading when it said SCOTTISH PHARMACIST.

  28. would a ketosis diet bet the best and quickest way to burn fat while preserving muscle?

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Funny Monkey
    I believe that the GH secretion is within one hour of sleep or when the body goes into REM sleep and then cortisol levels begin to steadly rise until you wake and bye the time you wake up carbs or no carbs cortisol is dominant

    I'm not sure this is true. I remember study a stating blood glucose levels had little impact on GH secretions at night. THe usual insulin/GH counteraction was not observed. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Grifter
    would a ketosis diet bet the best and quickest way to burn fat while preserving muscle?
    No.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. A sample day of my bulking diet
    By Jcc in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 06:00 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 02:37 PM
  3. buyb12 makes it easy...buy here
    By buyb12 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 02:47 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 05:02 AM
Log in
Log in