white potatoes vs red potatoes

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Is it true that white potatoes are a hi gi carb and red potatoes are a low gi carb?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I get so sick of yams though, what about gold potatoes?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Here's some info for ya:

POTATOES
The Pontiac with its pink skin, low starch & a GI=80, stands out. The link between starch & GI’s is strong. Harvested before they mature, potatoes are low in starch & GI, later, they have a higher starch & GI.

Potatoes rated lowest to highest:

Ruby Crescent, Russian, Round Red, La Soda, La Touge, Red Norland & Red Pontiac.

Long White. White Rose, Round White, Eastern, California, Canada, Delaware, Irish Cobbler, Katahdin, Kennebec, Long Island, Maine, Superior & Yellow Finn

Russet, Arcadia, Burbank & Idaho.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Great site dude!!! thanks, everything is I eat is way higher in GI scale then I thought, I need to do some work on my diet.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that's why when I diet... it's chicken and yams for 5 meals and egg whites and oatmeal for my other meal.

Sucks but least I know exactly what I am getting. Hard to **** up that diet too lol

A

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
so lemme get this straight, if I mash my yams before eating them, it raised the GI level?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I believe it has to do with the more sugar being released due to the mashing process.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
what is a good # to keep under on the GI scale?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
for me, I like 60'ish.

Lower the better obviously.

And remember, it's not so much the individual food value but the glycemic response of the MEAL. One food could be low but another throw it overboard.

A

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
south beach diets have food broken down into low and high GI carbs, they're a good point for reference IMO.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
so it is additive? like if one is 60 and the other is 30 the net is 90 if eaten together? For Instance if I had a chicken breast sandwich on 100% stone ground whole wheat (nothing on the sandwich) and a banana that would be a no no?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No, that's not how GR is calculated. It's not cumulative and the only way to know for sure is to use a glucose monitor.

I did this a while back for my own verification and proven to be very interesting. Also, those numbers may not be relative to each person as body weight, blood volume, etc will take into account the actual GR of a food.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
alot of this **** is confusing to me, it show white rice and brown rice having about the smae gi? I was under the impress white was hi and brown was low? Also I make pancakes from a 100% buckwheat pancake mix and I was under the impression they were low gi.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yes, white rice is high GI while grain and brown rice is lower GI :).