protein source

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
simply put, one must eat meat (red), poultry, fish to get big. is this true? only reason im asking is when on a budget, its cheaper to get most of my whole food protein intake from dairy (such as cottage cheese, eggs, milk) than buying various steaks, fish, even chicken.

my feeling is meat eating is ideal. and how would you rank the best source of protein from whole foods.....

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well meats in general are more complete proteins... so that would make the better sources for "easy" consumtion but you can get the right proteins you will just have to work harded to get the right combination of essential amino acids..

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
bump for a good question....

I have wondered this myself...

Do you think there some sort of rank order as far as meat/fish proteins go?

for example

Tuna
Chicken
Red meat
eggs
milk

Is there any reason to believe that tuna protein is better than chicken protein?

most people say screw it, eat em all! :)...

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
bump for a good question....

I have wondered this myself...

Do you think there some sort of rank order as far as meat/fish proteins go?

for example

Tuna
Chicken
Red meat
eggs
milk

Is there any reason to believe that tuna protein is better than chicken protein?

most people say screw it, eat em all! :)...

I think it's something like this:

Eggs (uncooked)
Milk
Tuna, chicken (cooked)
red meat (cooked of course)

Eggs are the most complete source of protein in the world until whey came around.

and as far as meats go...if they're really well done (charred, etc.) then some of the protein is unuseable. I always try to cook my steaks Medium-Rare and chicken...just dont char amy of it.

Tuna is always good, cuz its in a can and its not charred and it just sooo good :D.

and when in doubt...EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!!! ;p

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
hmm...if thats the case lifeguard (that eggs and milk tops the list of "best" protein, im in heaven cuz they simply the cheapest). but im thinking they are not. Its just that meat-eaters have easier time "getting big" than lets say someone whos on a vegetarian diet. good point about cooking your meats though. the only reason i tend to cook my red meats especially, well done is cuz cooking on your own, im scared of undercooking and issues that follow that.
Its definetely of importance i believe that you get a full range of protein spectrum intake cuz just like exercises...eating the same source everday i believe has less benefits than eating a variety of protein source.

bigbadboss101

Awards
I thought protein are from meat, fish, diary, and artificial forms.
My friends said brocolii is high in protein. I didn't know veggies have much if any proteins. I am misinformed?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
spinach has a decent amount of protein. broccoli and other green vegs also have some (2-3 grams per serving) but this is not sufficient enough compared to other prime sources. vegs and fruits are good for their mineral and vitamin profile and good fiber

whale

Awards
protein quality!

Ok i went to the ol Nutrition book on this on so bare with the technical blah. The ada has released a chart as well as WHO another orginization that ranks protein quality. It would be known as the "Protein digestability corrected amino acid score(pdcaas) as its official assay for evaluating the quality of protein. It is based on amino acid requirerments for both children and adults and rates the protein on the score after digestabilitynow as far as cooking goes some aminos are rendered unavalible by cooking them. This is also known as the
aillard reaction in such things as milk.check out the ada site for info in the proteins that you are looking for.

Hope this helps
whale

ChaseRoy

Awards
I read somewhere that your body is smart enough to hold on to certain aminos say in bread or something and wait till it can be completed by other aminos. I am not sure if this is true...but if it is, it throws all that crap people say about making sure to get ALL complete proteins and veg. protein doesn't count. I don't know...hamper, you're the nutrition guy. any validity in my statement?

SteveDFW

Awards
I would think that as long as you eat a complete protein source with an incomplete, you would be OK. If you look at complete protein sources, the percentage of each amino acid varies based upon the source.

khafra

Awards
But the BV of egg is 100... I'm confused. I don't like eggs or cottage cheese, and I can't afford beef, so I just eat tuna and drink milk. Too much lactose sugars, but what's a guy to do?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
But the BV of egg is 100... I'm confused. I don't like eggs or cottage cheese, and I can't afford beef, so I just eat tuna and drink milk. Too much lactose sugars, but what's a guy to do?
ya, most of my protein of whole foods comes from cottage cheese and milk throughout the day and about 6 oz chicken at night. probably need a bit wider range of protein.

DUbz86

DUbz86

Awards
  • Established
Egg is the most healthiest protein but egg white is the pure protein. Almonds are a popular type of tree nut.Other High-Protein Nuts
Pistachios (13% of calories) and cashews (11% of calories), Oats, Cottage Cheese, Greek Yougurt are also have high proteins also they help to loss weight.
Chicken turkey steak eggs are good from breakfast but chicken and turkey kill it because doesn't have the fats as eggs do. But get decent chicken ive been seeing boneless breasts with fat lines that show and I'll pay more for good chicken . Walmart chicken probably has double or triple the fat in it with those fat markings cause they are just forced raised to get big fast. Kirkland boneless frozen tenderloins are pretty cheap and 3 a meal gives you 40+ g of protein. Luckily I have a local butcher shop who cuts me a deal on chicken but worth it. Walmart and discount chicken has a weird texture to me.

DUbz86

DUbz86

Awards
  • Established
On the canned tuna canned chicken is my go to but limit myself to 4 cans of tuna a week since they say Mercury levels ect. I don't believe it but enough people saying it not to depend on it. In college I use to live off canned meats cheap and can eat on the go. Definitely don't count on whey protein as primary source I only use to fill macros most 2 a day. But almonds cottage cheese and low fat yogurt are good snacks

Fishermanzz2

Awards
I just use mainly whey protein. Seems to be easiest and actually more cost effective.