stuck at 10% bf

jwal

Awards
What's going on, I've been dieting for 4 months now I started at 175 and around 13% bf I'm now at 155 and 10% bf, my trainer that wrote my diet up thinks I'm lower but my calipers say 10% on an 8 point test so that's What I'm going with, I've been stuck now for about a month where I'm at, I lost all that with very little cardio so I'm thinking if I tweak my diet I can lose more fat with little cardio, my goal is 8% bf

Diet meal 1: 12oz egg whites 1 whole egg half an avocado 3 pieces of Turkey Bacon half a grapefruit

Meal 2,3, 4: 6oz chicken breast booked weight 2 cups of broccoli half an ounce of almonds ,meal 3 is supposed to be asparagus not broccoli but broccoli is easy so I just do that instead

Meal 5: 12oz egg whites 1 whole egg half ounce of almonds, meal 1 and 5 are supposed to have spinach but I can't eat it so I don't

Meal 6: 2 scoops of whey in water

Okay then every 5th I add in more carbs a cup of oat meal with meal 1
Sweet potato with meal 2
Sweet potato and 1 cup of brown rice meal 4
1 banana meal 6
Then I have a cheat meal every second Carb day and post workout I have a scoop and a half of whey in water, and for the most part I have stuck to this completely and like I said I dropped 20 pounds of mostly fat so it worked but I think I've milked it for all it's worth so What do you guys or gals think I should change to get to the next level of shredded

Side note I do a typical five day split and 20 minutes of low intensity cardio 2 or 3 days a week and I'm 5'8" 25 years old Thanks

jwal

Awards
QUOTE=Distilled Water;4040574]You're going to need cardio to get below that 10% mark. Read up on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT cardio) and Low Intensity Steady State (LISS cardio)

Both serve their purposes and finding the right mix will help you meet your goals. Good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply man I kinda knew I was gonna have too add more I was hoping there was another way, I've heard doing low Carb for a long time can an bad do you know anything about that? Or is adding the high Carb day keeping it from being bad? Thanks again

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
QUOTE=Distilled Water;4040574]You're going to need cardio to get below that 10% mark. Read up on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT cardio) and Low Intensity Steady State (LISS cardio)

Both serve their purposes and finding the right mix will help you meet your goals. Good luck
Thanks for the reply man I kinda knew I was gonna have too add more I was hoping there was another way, I've heard doing low Carb for a long time can an bad do you know anything about that? Or is adding the high Carb day keeping it from being bad? Thanks again[/QUOTE]

I carb cycle myself.

High carb days make it great, IMO. I'd implement a cheat meal every week on that carb up. Helps mentally and physiologically in regards to insulin:leptin:thyroid etc.

You do not have a lot of lean body mass so it's going to be a little tougher for you to keep peeling that BF. the cardio is the kicker, I myself am in the same boat as you but cardio is the next phase of my prep. Been making great progress without any but it's coming to an end.

Cardio isn't fun but being peeled isn't easy....or else everyone would be. Know what I mean?

jwal

Awards
Yeah absolutely, I have to find the time to add in more cardio, I work ten hour days so after my hour and twenty minutes of lifting and driving home it's 8 pm then I got meal prep and wind down so I can get my recovery sleep, I could push one day of lifting to a Saturday and do cardio on a Wednesday or something but other than that I dunno when to do it unless I'm goin hard seven days a week but I don't wanna burn myself out ya know

JDog479

Awards
155 at 10%?

I'd start bulking IMO. You're going to have a lot easier time cutting fat with some more muscle. I'd rather be sitting at 180 - 190 with 10% rather than 150 with 8% any day. But that's just my opinion.

Carb cycling is definitely something to look into. It's rewarding and effective. Cardio is also more than likely a must for your goals. Just start off light and don't over do it obviously.

jwal

Awards
155 at 10%?

I'd start bulking IMO. You're going to have a lot easiep time cutting fat with some more muscle. I'd rather be sitting at 180 - 190 with 10% rather than 150 with 8% any day. But that's just my opinion.

Carb cycling is definitely something to look into. It's rewarding and effective. Cardio is also more than likely a must for your goals. Just start off light and don't over do it obviously.
I'm short and have a light frame so I actually don't look half bad at 155, I bulked for a year and a half and went from 135 to 175 now I'm stripping away all the fat, I'm gonna start a cleaner bulk again this winter and hopefully run my first test cycle since I'll be three years in and ready, and yeah I'm gonna start some cardio today I've been reading up on it the past few days, thanks for the response bro

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5'8" isn't short man.

If you're already at 10% you should start bulking now, there's no reason to cut another 2% and begin bulking if you're already that lean.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And it honestly sounds like your cut has been a major failure bro.

You lost 20 pounds and only 3% bf? Doesn't that come out to like 15lbs LBM lost and only 5lbs fat?

jwal

Awards
And it honestly sounds like your cut has been a major failure bro.

You lost 20 pounds and only 3% bf? Doesn't that come out to like 15lbs LBM lost and only 5lbs fat?
Yeah that would be right, like I said the trainer who wrote my diet up thinks by looking at me I'm around 8% but my cheap click calipers give me a 10% ,I'm gonna have to get better calipers and find out what I really am cause I know I lost some mass in my legs and muscle loss inevitable during a cut but I know I didn't lose that much especially on my upper body, but as far as bulking now it's summer so I'm gonna hold off for a while, but thanks for the opinion and response, let's say I was at 8% at 155 and started at 174 at 13% what's that give me for muscle loss vs fat loss?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah that would be right, like I said the trainer who wrote my diet up thinks by looking at me I'm around 8% but my cheap click calipers give me a 10% ,I'm gonna have to get better calipers and find out what I really am cause I know I lost some mass in my legs and muscle loss inevitable during a cut but I know I didn't lose that much especially on my upper body, but as far as bulking now it's summer so I'm gonna hold off for a while, but thanks for the opinion and response, let's say I was at 8% at 155 and started at 174 at 13% what's that give me for muscle loss vs fat loss?
Its still like a 10lb LBM loss for a 10lb fat loss. Hell, 175 at 13% is a dude that looks like he lifts and had visible abs, which is what most guys are going for in the summer.

5'8" 155 even at 8% is a dude that looks like he doesn't know what the inside of a gym is.

Just my opinion. Seems like you lost as much or more muscle than you lost fat, which sounds a lot like a failed cut bro.

JDog479

Awards
Its still like a 10lb LBM loss for a 10lb fat loss. Hell, 175 at 13% is a dude that looks like he lifts and had visible abs, which is what most guys are going for in the summer.

5'8" 155 even at 8% is a dude that looks like he doesn't know what the inside of a gym is.

Just my opinion. Seems like you lost as much or more muscle than you lost fat, which sounds a lot like a failed cut bro.
I wouldn't say he failed at the cut. But I will agree on the other parts. I know it's mostly a matter of opinion but I'd never understand why you'd want to cut that far down in the first place.

I'm a personal trainer (ACE certification, nothing special) and I'd never tell anyone to go on a straight cut unless they're up there in the 200's and higher bf. Mostly because it's too hard to tell if it's low bf or not enough muscle. And unless you're competing there's no real reason to bulk or cut. I'm a personal advocate of eliminating the idea of bulking and cutting when I work with my clients. Mostly because they aren't bodybuilders and they aren't on test. Which they don't need to be unless they are in fact, competing. If you focus on strength training and diet, the pieces will fall in place. Heck, your body is primed to grow now. You'll only look better if you focus on muscle growth rather than fat loss.

Just my two cents though. And take it with a grain of salt, I don't know you or how your body is so I can't truly recommend you to do anything. Best of luck to you though.

jwal

Awards
I wouldn't say he failed at the cut. But I will agree on the other parts. I know it's mostly a matter of opinion but I'd never understnd why you'd want to cut that far down in the first place.

I'm a personal trainer (ACE certification, nothing special) and I'd never tell anyone to go on a straight cut unless they're up there in the 200's and higher bf. Mostly because it's too hard to tell if it's low bf or not enough muscle. And unless you're competing there's no real reason to bulk or cut. I'm a personal advocate of eliminating the idea of bulking and cutting when I work with my clients. Mostly because they aren't bodybuilders and they aren't on test. Which they don't need to be unless they are in fact, competing. If you focus on strength training and diet, the pieces will fall in place. Heck, your body is primed to grow now. You'll only look better if you focus on muscle growth rather than fat loss.

Just my two cents though. And take it with a grain of salt, I don't know you or how your body is so I can't truly recommend you to do anything. Best of luck to you though.
Thanks bro that's a ver non dick post, and your right I had no real reason to cut but I just did it for me, I'm in the best shape of my life and wanted (and got) abs and definition for summer, the whole reason for the post was not to say what body fat I'm at or weight I'm at but to ask what I can do to get to the next level regardless of the other stuff,

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carb cycling and cardio bring you below the 10% mark. That's where I'm headed very soon.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

I agree. How did you measure bf%? That cut doesn't sound like it went very well as you lost a tonne of LBM. However I hve a feeling the measurements were not accurate.

kennknny

Awards
You're going to need cardio to get below that 10% mark. Read up on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT cardio) and Low Intensity Steady State (LISS cardio)

Both serve their purposes and finding the right mix will help you meet your goals. Good luck
Exactly what you need to do! Your diet seems pretty good, but what's your workout split?

JDog479

Awards
Thanks bro that's a ver non dick post, and your right I had no real reason to cut but I just did it for me, I'm in the best shape of my life and wanted (and got) abs and definition for summer, the whole reason for the post was not to say what body fat I'm at or weight I'm at but to ask what I can do to get to the next level regardless of the other stuff,
Good to hear you're getting noticeable results.

I have to ask what are your strength numbers like since you've gotten to 155? As others of mentioned, you may be measuring your body fat incorrectly. And understandable too, doing so accurately can be pretty challenging from person to person. Sometimes the best way is to look at your strength and see how much, if any, you've lost.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards

Thanks for the reply man I kinda knew I was gonna have too add more I was hoping there was another way, I've heard doing low Carb for a long time can an bad do you know anything about that? Or is adding the high Carb day keeping it from being bad? Thanks again[/QUOTE]

You sound lazy! Get up and work if you want it. If notstick where your at. If it was easy everyone would be shredded.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Low carb for a prolonged period is not harmful; in fact it is more than likely very beneficial in terms of health.

JoeRich

Awards
hit cardio for the win