The basic rule of bulking/cutting

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.

The basic rule of bulking/cutting

From what I've always understood, the "basic" rule of cutting and bulking is:

Bulking - 500cals over maintenance a day
    Cutting - 500cals under maintenance a day

I know of all of the other variables about %'s of carbs, fats and proteins(macros) and not everybody needs that much to bulk.

I've never really been very good at diet, but I am good at conditioning/cardio, so I've never really had a problem losing weight by cutting back cals and carbs and boxing a few times a week.

What I'm getting at is, when you go on a cut, taking out all of the math and variables, and speaking theoretically, what would be the problem with maintaining the same food intake during a bulk and a cut, but burning an extra 1,000 cals a day during a cut, and maybe taking out some carbs. In theory, the 1,000 cals would take you from a 500 cal surplus to a 500 cal deficit or vice-versa if you're going from a cut to a bulk. In theory, this should work, but in reality, you most likely wouldn't get the results you want. Any specific reasons as to why? I'm merely asking for details and more knowledge for myself or anybody else who would want to know.
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face"

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

None. Most people (myself included) simply find it easier to cut out a meal or reduce portions vs burning it up doing cardio.

For me, recovery becomes a huge consideration when I do more than 5-6 sessions of cardio/conditioning a week. My legs hold water & feel "heavy", my weight training tends to suffer, and I just feel run down.

A combo of the 2 is ideal for me; I can keep cals up *some*, and moderate cardio doesn't burn me out physically.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    None. Most people (myself included) simply find it easier to cut out a meal or reduce portions vs burning it up doing cardio.

For me, recovery becomes a huge consideration when I do more than 5-6 sessions of cardio/conditioning a week. My legs hold water & feel "heavy", my weight training tends to suffer, and I just feel run down.

A combo of the 2 is ideal for me; I can keep cals up *some*, and moderate cardio doesn't burn me out physically.
    I'll cycle between sideways jogging across the yard and taking it to my heavy bag for about a half hour a day when I'm cutting. The sideways jogging gets my heart rate up, but doesn't feel terrible if I did legs the day before or ruin my legs if I'm planning on working them the day after.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.

Yeah, I prefer to burn my calories as opposed to cutting my plates too. A deficit is a deficit is a deficit. And vice versa. Nutrient timing, while challenged, plays a significant role at the extremes of either end but on a basic level per this thread anyway you get or cut 500 cals is great.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JBVA View Post
    From what I've always understood, the "basic" rule of cutting and bulking is:

Bulking - 500cals over maintenance a day
    Cutting - 500cals under maintenance a day

I know of all of the other variables about %'s of carbs, fats and proteins(macros) and not everybody needs that much to bulk.

I've never really been very good at diet, but I am good at conditioning/cardio, so I've never really had a problem losing weight by cutting back cals and carbs and boxing a few times a week.

What I'm getting at is, when you go on a cut, taking out all of the math and variables, and speaking theoretically, what would be the problem with maintaining the same food intake during a bulk and a cut, but burning an extra 1,000 cals a day during a cut, and maybe taking out some carbs. In theory, the 1,000 cals would take you from a 500 cal surplus to a 500 cal deficit or vice-versa if you're going from a cut to a bulk. In theory, this should work, but in reality, you most likely wouldn't get the results you want. Any specific reasons as to why? I'm merely asking for details and more knowledge for myself or anybody else who would want to know.
    No difference to me, either.

Calories in > Calories out = "bulk"

Calories in < Calories out = "cut'
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Cardio is no fun. Rather not cut into recovery from my workouts personally.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Cardio is no fun. Rather not cut into recovery from my workouts personally.
    I don't look forward to cardio, but I've always been good at it, so it doesn't bother me so much. There is certain stuff that just makes me feel terrible if I do it the day after a workout, though. Sprinting after leg day being an example
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bulk, Cut, Bloat: The Basic Science of Weight Manipulation and Powerlifting
    By Newtonselite in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 01:11 AM
  2. How do you deal with the mental side of bulking?
    By justreading in forum Bulking
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
  3. The New Rules of Lifting Ebook
    By smoundzou in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
  4. Wanting to cut after alot of bulking
    By Rictor33 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 03:39 PM
  5. Bulking/cutting values of supplements