CALS & CARBS

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok now we know protien is important but just as important is cals and carb intake. We always talk about foods to get the most protein and get it the easiest. How bout some foods that are high in calories and/or carbs?

I get a LOT of my calories from milk since i drink a gallon a day as well as 6 servings of oats and some pasta mid day every day. Also if you take into acount the 10-15 scoops of protien powder a day thats another staple food. What are some good ideas you guys use to get carbs and cals where u need them?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok now we know protien is important but just as important is cals and carb intake. We always talk about foods to get the most protein and get it the easiest. How bout some foods that are high in calories and/or carbs?

I get a LOT of my calories from milk since i drink a gallon a day as well as 6 servings of oats and some pasta mid day every day. Also if you take into acount the 10-15 scoops of protien powder a day thats another staple food. What are some good ideas you guys use to get carbs and cals where u need them?
I avoid milk when I'm cutting all together, it seems to bloat me. 10-15 scoop of protein powder a day? Wow thats a lot. You want to get as much protein out of real food as you can. Try consuming more lean meats, chicken, and turkey.

As far as carbs, try going for low GI carbs and avoid high GI carbs such as sugary, starchy foods. For a list of high and low GI foods, do a google search on the glycemic index. I also taper down my carb intake as the day goes on as late day carbs tend to put fat on for me. I'm a true endo.

E

Edge

Awards
10-15 scoops of protein is nuts....unless you have some kind of weird scheduling but thats 200-300 grams of protein coming from powders which is either your entire macro or like 70%.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
the only time I recall hearing that kind of consumption is like in one of those Muscletech or Labrada ads, where the juiced up pro pimping the stuff lays out his daily diet/meal plan, like:
4am: 2 scoops Nitro-tech
6am: 1 meso-tech bar, 2 scoops of oats, 50 egg whites
8am: (pre-workout) 3 scoops Nitro-tech, 10 tabs of Pump-tech
10am: (post-workout) 5 scoops Nitro-tech, 2 scoops Cell-tech
Noon: Flank Steak, 1 yam, 45 scoops of Nitro-tech, 2 Meso-tech bars for dessert

etc, etc, etc....

sure.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
10-15 scoops of protein is nuts....unless you have some kind of weird scheduling but thats 200-300 grams of protein coming from powders which is either your entire macro or like 70%.
seems like a lot to me as well, but judging from his stats, it's working quite well for him. myself, i get about 8 scoops a day.

but as for my diet, it generally consists of milk, peanut butter, eggs, oats, protein powder, chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, and a few vegetables when i'm feeling ballsy.

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
10-15 scoops a lot?? that is 200-300 grams of protein... and 1000-1500 cals....Since I try to get well over 400 a day 200-300 grams of protein from powder is about half. Thanks for the help guys but I made this thread to see what others ate for carbs and cals since we focus on protein so much. I know my diet works for me and I am not really looking to change it in any way. I just wanted to see how most other people break up where they are getting there carbs and cals.

E

Edge

Awards
Fair enough. When I bulk I use dense carb sources like Whole Wheat Pasta (my fave), basmati (sp) rice, Flax bread and you can make a nice dense calorie chilli using lean ground beef, chick peas, hot pepper, and sauce.

I still use whole wheat pasta (nothing on it) after my workout. Usually about 120 carbs, 15 grams of fiber is in that amount. 50 grams of whey.

Oatmeal is fine and all but id rather have my pasta....

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
brown rice will tally up the carb calories pretty fast!

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
If bulking, peanut butter in moderation is good (almond butter is even better). Also, trader joes makes a turkey chili which is fairly low fat, high in protein and tastes great! Mix some additional beans in there (I like black beans), and corn makes a tasty addition as well.

It looks to me like your diet is fairly similar to mine, I eat less oats, hit up the cottage cheese to the tune of two pounds a day (with pineapple it's delicious), eat lots of beans and toss in hard boiled eggs or make omlettes every day. The fundamentals are the same though... For anyone in doubt, the pasta and milk diet works :D

How is your weight doing man? And bodyfat? Gonna need another cycle to get to your goal?

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If bulking, peanut butter in moderation is good (almond butter is even better). Also, trader joes makes a turkey chili which is fairly low fat, high in protein and tastes great! Mix some additional beans in there (I like black beans), and corn makes a tasty addition as well.

It looks to me like your diet is fairly similar to mine, I eat less oats, hit up the cottage cheese to the tune of two pounds a day (with pineapple it's delicious), eat lots of beans and toss in hard boiled eggs or make omlettes every day. The fundamentals are the same though... For anyone in doubt, the pasta and milk diet works :D

How is your weight doing man? And bodyfat? Gonna need another cycle to get to your goal?
Yes there is no doubt in my mind that MILK is key for bulking. I just wrote up my diet for while im at school tongiht so I had to make some changes from when I am at home and can cook and eat at my please. I defenatly use shakes a lot now that I take a close look at my diet but hey it works.

My weight is stuck aroudn 275-280 and the last time my BF was checked was november 2nd and it was 16 at 272. Starting the on the 10th im doing a Test Dbol cycle with some winstol at the end and im hoping that it will get me to 300. I have good genetics and I really think I will get 300 while on this cycle.

What about you what are you going for in the near future?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yes there is no doubt in my mind that MILK is key for bulking. I just wrote up my diet for while im at school tongiht so I had to make some changes from when I am at home and can cook and eat at my please. I defenatly use shakes a lot now that I take a close look at my diet but hey it works.

My weight is stuck aroudn 275-280 and the last time my BF was checked was november 2nd and it was 16 at 272. Starting the on the 10th im doing a Test Dbol cycle with some winstol at the end and im hoping that it will get me to 300. I have good genetics and I really think I will get 300 while on this cycle.

What about you what are you going for in the near future?
I'm planning a bulking cycle starting probably in february, Thinking along the lines of:

Drol 1-5, 3x55mg/day
Test enanthate 1-12, 333 3xweek
Tren acetate 5-12, undecided as to 75mg or 100mg ed.

I will probably hit up the slin this cycle as well, humalin R post workout only.

I have a meet in the middle of april, I want to try and max out for the 308 class (which means I'll probably get up to about 315, then shed water for weigh in and re-hydrate after), I'm 276ish right now and a touch leaner than the avatar pic. Hopefully with chemical assistance and more training I will be able to get my total in the 1900s

You should be able to hit 300 man, it just requires massive eating. I'm going to try and hit around ~10,000 fairly clean calories every day while on, it's going to be a real challenge.

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm planning a bulking cycle starting probably in february, Thinking along the lines of:

Drol 1-5, 3x55mg/day
Test enanthate 1-12, 333 3xweek
Tren acetate 5-12, undecided as to 75mg or 100mg ed.

I will probably hit up the slin this cycle as well, humalin R post workout only.

I have a meet in the middle of april, I want to try and max out for the 308 class (which means I'll probably get up to about 315, then shed water for weigh in and re-hydrate after), I'm 276ish right now and a touch leaner than the avatar pic. Hopefully with chemical assistance and more training I will be able to get my total in the 1900s

You should be able to hit 300 man, it just requires massive eating. I'm going to try and hit around ~10,000 fairly clean calories every day while on, it's going to be a real challenge.

10,000 clean while on dam haha. I might have to re-think my diet...I had myself in the mid 7s...I am worried because at school I have to get most of cals and carbs from rice and oats
and do not have any meats available to me except unlimited turkey haha. I think it will be more difficult not getting sick of the food then getting the required cals,carbs, and protein.

You look very lean in your picture at what BF is that at??? I have about a 36 waist but all my BF is in my midsection..After this upcoming bulker I am probably going to cut with trimax and winstrol with an end result I hope at 290 at 12-13%...that will be tough but I like a challange :thumbsup:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
10,000 clean while on dam haha. I might have to re-think my diet...I had myself in the mid 7s...I am worried because at school I have to get most of cals and carbs from rice and oats
and do not have any meats available to me except unlimited turkey haha. I think it will be more difficult not getting sick of the food then getting the required cals,carbs, and protein.

You look very lean in your picture at what BF is that at??? I have about a 36 waist but all my BF is in my midsection..After this upcoming bulker I am probably going to cut with trimax and winstrol with an end result I hope at 290 at 12-13%...that will be tough but I like a challange :thumbsup:
That is at around 15-16%, I haven't had hydrostatic weighing done recently so I couldn't tell you exactly. I look leaner than I am because my abdominal muscles are extremely well developed (hence the 39" waist :lol: ).

I would say, if you need to get in more calories, switch to 1% or 2% if you are currently drinking fat free. I also like the turkey, I don't eat it as much now but I used to make 3-4 LARGE turkey sandwiches every day, with whole wheat bread. I also am a huge proponent of the crock pot, which I use to make beef lentil stew. I also think pasta is a great carb source, I eat a pound of it every day like clockwork... I was on last semester and hitting about 8,000 calories a day, and I had to carry a big bag FULL of tupperware. I would eat in class, between classes, pretty much constantly. Beef stew, turkey sandwiches, milk, pasta, eggs, you name it, I was eating it during lecture :rofl:

My diet now looks like this:

Wake up, 2 cups cottage cheese with 1 cup pineapple, 3 egg omlette with chard

1 cup Oatmeal as a mid morning snack

1 gallon nonfat milk taken slowly over the course of the day

1lb of organic whole wheat pasta with organic low fat vodka sauce broken up into two meals

1 can low fat turkey chili with 1 can black beans mixed in for a mid evening snack

3 hardboiled eggs in the late evening

2 cups of nonfat cottage cheese with 1 cup of pineapple before bed.

On workout days I also have about 6 scoops of whey protein with 5 cups of peach juice, which I drink before, during and after the workout.

When I get back on I'll probably add turkey sandwiches back into the rotation to get up to near 10k. You should see the article on world champion powerlifter garry frank's diet over at bodybuilding.com - I already have to crap like 5+ times a day, I can just imagine when I have to eat like him, I'll look like this on the shitter :rant:

Edit: dug up the article by garry frank's dietician over at bodybuilding.com, not sure it's 100% accurate, you never know with these sorts of things, but just check the link out and look at what his sample day diet looks like, ****!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anthony33.htm

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm abit more into a carb-controlled way of eating since I'm diabetic.. The most I get in one serving is in my PWO shake (75g dextrose with Glucosol).. Other than that, my whole food carbs are usually sweet potato, brown rice, wheat bread (organic), whole grain cereals, 2% milk.. Since I plan to bulk until June 2006, I've cleaned up and I'm ashamed to say it.. :D

I really should get in more protein, I know I get in 300g but usually more helped me alot..

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is at around 15-16%, I haven't had hydrostatic weighing done recently so I couldn't tell you exactly. I look leaner than I am because my abdominal muscles are extremely well developed (hence the 39" waist :lol: ).

I would say, if you need to get in more calories, switch to 1% or 2% if you are currently drinking fat free. I also like the turkey, I don't eat it as much now but I used to make 3-4 LARGE turkey sandwiches every day, with whole wheat bread. I also am a huge proponent of the crock pot, which I use to make beef lentil stew. I also think pasta is a great carb source, I eat a pound of it every day like clockwork... I was on last semester and hitting about 8,000 calories a day, and I had to carry a big bag FULL of tupperware. I would eat in class, between classes, pretty much constantly. Beef stew, turkey sandwiches, milk, pasta, eggs, you name it, I was eating it during lecture :rofl:

My diet now looks like this:

Wake up, 2 cups cottage cheese with 1 cup pineapple, 3 egg omlette with chard

1 cup Oatmeal as a mid morning snack

1 gallon nonfat milk taken slowly over the course of the day

1lb of organic whole wheat pasta with organic low fat vodka sauce broken up into two meals

1 can low fat turkey chili with 1 can black beans mixed in for a mid evening snack

3 hardboiled eggs in the late evening

2 cups of nonfat cottage cheese with 1 cup of pineapple before bed.

On workout days I also have about 6 scoops of whey protein with 5 cups of peach juice, which I drink before, during and after the workout.

When I get back on I'll probably add turkey sandwiches back into the rotation to get up to near 10k. You should see the article on world champion powerlifter garry frank's diet over at bodybuilding.com - I already have to crap like 5+ times a day, I can just imagine when I have to eat like him, I'll look like this on the shitter :rant:

Edit: dug up the article by garry frank's dietician over at bodybuilding.com, not sure it's 100% accurate, you never know with these sorts of things, but just check the link out and look at what his sample day diet looks like, ****!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anthony33.htm

Hey thanks for that link man thats good stuff. And I will take your advise with the milk...I am currently drinking fat free. Good luck

S

Shawn W.

Awards

I hesitate to guess at how much money you spend per month on protein powder.

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
mac and cheese is awesome for quick cals when you're bulking once in a while

2-3 tablespoons of olive oil is great too

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hesitate to guess at how much money you spend per month on protein powder.

well if you buy your powder at gnc I can see why you would hesitate but when allthewhey sells 50 pounds of protein for 129.99 I do well.