Supps for retaining muscle.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
I'm 6'5 with a wingspan of slightly longer. I've never really been into supps beyond whey and creatine, and I'm a very hard gainer. I've been bulking since the beginning of May and I'm going to go until about mid-June then cutting. My problem is, with a frame as big as mine(32' long arms to give you an idea), I need all the muscle I can get to fill out and I really can't afford to lose muscle on a cut. Over the years, I've figured out how to eat well on a cut, but I've never really tried any supps to retain muscle, and by "never really" I just mean "never". I've heard a lot of good things about casein and muscle retention, but is there anything else anyone would suggest to help me out?

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
month and a half long bulk?
Yeah, about 6 weeks.I didn't want to gain too much before summer. I bulked pretty much from Jan-April, cut for a month, then started eating again at the beginning of this month for the hell of it. I'm not a cut up beach guy, but I don't want to put on too much fat before gets hot out.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I didn't want to gain too much before summer. I bulked pretty much from Jan-April, cut for a month, then started eating again at the beginning of this month for the hell of it. I'm not a cut up beach guy, but I don't want to put on too much fat before gets hot out.
gotcha

dont buy into broscience myths of casien protein. you want cortisol blockers and creatine for anticatabolics. you can also look into albuterol to take advantage of the beta-2 receptors

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
See, it's hard to tell now what's broscience and what's not with all these "experts" running around spewing their "knowledge". I'm believing more and more every day that it's 100% your genetics that determine exactly what you'll look like haha

I didn't really mention what I take now as far as supps/vitamins go, which is only my multi, 2000mg fish oil and 5g creatine mono. Xtend pre-workout as well.

bigrob44

bigrob44

Awards
I'm not sure but I believe glutamine is supposed to have an anti catabolizing agent.

murk01

murk01

Awards
casien is to expensive. eat more meat. u will lose muscle when cutting. unless u cycle some type of roid.
PS is really good for cortisol.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
casien is to expensive. eat more meat. u will lose muscle when cutting. unless u cycle some type of roid.
PS is really good for cortisol.

Yeah, I think the cheapest "decent" brand I saw was ON. $35 for a 2lb tub.

Mancolt

Awards
Not sure what the rules are about referencing other sites, but you can find Casein for cheaper than that with a little bit of searching. Truenutrition has Micellar Casein for about $11.50/lb, + a bit more $ when you add flavors or extra goodies. Amazon has Syntrax Micellar Creme for $24.59 and it's a Prime eligible item. There's also a few supplement sites that frequently run specials that include Casein, and you can often Google an extra promo/discount code for them.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
Not sure what the rules are about referencing other sites, but you can find Casein for cheaper than that with a little bit of searching. Truenutrition has Micellar Casein for about $11.50/lb, + a bit more $ when you add flavors or extra goodies. Amazon has Syntrax Micellar Creme for $24.59 and it's a Prime eligible item. There's also a few supplement sites that frequently run specials that include Casein, and you can often Google an extra promo/discount code for them.
I didn't dig too deep into it. I just did a quick Amazon search. Thanks.

murk01

murk01

Awards
for bcaa get uni-livers. the profile is insane.

casen is a joke dont do it!

for doms or sorness look into PS, I have been taking it for about 2weeks and its prolly the best antiCortisol i have ever tried. dose 200mg x3 a day. after a week u wont get sore. also cuts a little belly fat.
(ps is phospysirne... something like that)
works better then hormonals and nateral

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 6'5 with a wingspan of slightly longer. I've never really been into supps beyond whey and creatine, and I'm a very hard gainer. I've been bulking since the beginning of May and I'm going to go until about mid-June then cutting. My problem is, with a frame as big as mine(32' long arms to give you an idea), I need all the muscle I can get to fill out and I really can't afford to lose muscle on a cut. Over the years, I've figured out how to eat well on a cut, but I've never really tried any supps to retain muscle, and by "never really" I just mean "never". I've heard a lot of good things about casein and muscle retention, but is there anything else anyone would suggest to help me out?
Anabeta,erase,alphamime and the new alpha t2. This is my next cutting stack.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
Thanks for the advice, guys. This is the one thing about my bulking/cutting routine that I just can't seem to get a handle on. There's not a lot of literature out there for tall guys who want to move a good amount of weight and put on/keep size.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the advice, guys. This is the one thing about my bulking/cutting routine that I just can't seem to get a handle on. There's not a lot of literature out there for tall guys who want to move a good amount of weight and put on/keep size.
Progress in the weight room is about all you can do. Make changes like rack pulls if your 6 ft plus. It helps get form down and less range of motion if your all legs like I am*makes deadlifts difficult *
Drop sets will work for anyone in my opinion. Box squats will also greatly help the long legged.
Your first compound movement per workout should be 6 to 12 reps then on the last set go heavy as **** to the point you only push out 1 to 5 .

Thus throwing a little strenght training into your Hypertrophy training. Atleast it worked for me.

If it doesn't for you don't be afraid to try your own way haha!

Flexibility work and grip training once a week has helped me at 6'5. It's slow but you'll get there man.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
Progress in the weight room is about all you can do. Make changes like rack pulls if your 6 ft plus. It helps get form down and less range of motion if your all legs like I am*makes deadlifts difficult *
Drop sets will work for anyone in my opinion. Box squats will also greatly help the long legged.
Your first compound movement per workout should be 6 to 12 reps then on the last set go heavy as **** to the point you only push out 1 to 5 .

Thus throwing a little strenght training into your Hypertrophy training. Atleast it worked for me.

If it doesn't for you don't be afraid to try your own way haha!

Flexibility work and grip training once a week has helped me at 6'5. It's slow but you'll get there man.
It's funny that you say that, because dead lifting is actually my best lift(now). My form used to be crap deading, but I've done it/worked on it two days a week for about 6 months now, and got it down. I am all legs, and it sucks haha

Just out of curiosity,what would you recommend for chest? That's probably my worst area. I can move decent weight, but have never really been able to put on good size on my chest. I flat twice a week now(Mon/Thurs), but I've done incline presses, decline presses, cable flys, dumb bell flys, dumb bell presses, the works. I've done all kinds of different splits. I'm on Mon/Thurs now because I'm trying the "rest and recovery" approach, but even then, I feel like I'm out of the gym for too long. This is the first time I've had a routine this "small".

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's funny that you say that, because dead lifting is actually my best lift(now). My form used to be crap deading, but I've done it/worked on it two days a week for about 6 months now, and got it down. I am all legs, and it sucks haha

Just out of curiosity,what would you recommend for chest? That's probably my worst area. I can move decent weight, but have never really been able to put on good size on my chest. I flat twice a week now(Mon/Thurs), but I've done incline presses, decline presses, cable flys, dumb bell flys, dumb bell presses, the works. I've done all kinds of different splits. I'm on Mon/Thurs now because I'm trying the "rest and recovery" approach, but even then, I feel like I'm out of the gym for too long. This is the first time I've had a routine this "small".
What worked for me is flat bench 6 to 12 then last set 1 to 5 *heavy as **** haf *

Incline 6 to 12 x 4 sets

Pec deck fly* contraction work* 12 to 20 reps x 5 sets and finish with chest press machine to use less triceps single arm 6 to 12 reps x 3 sets and push up super set. I would suggest carbs before workout if your gonna do this.

Only once a week.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Forskolin-95 + Alphamine + TTA-500 is basically my Go-To for cutting. I think Forskolin and HICA (in Alphamine) have studies backing them for retaining lean mass.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
What worked for me is flat bench 6 to 12 then last set 1 to 5 *heavy as **** haf *

Incline 6 to 12 x 4 sets

Pec deck fly* contraction work* 12 to 20 reps x 5 sets and finish with chest press machine to use less triceps single arm 6 to 12 reps x 3 sets and push up super set. I would suggest carbs before workout if your gonna do this.

Only once a week.
I used to do chest only once a week when I was on Chest/Tri's Monday, Back/Bi's Wesnesday and Legs/Shoulders Friday, then switched to Mon/Wed/Fri 5x5, and now Monday/Thursday, and I haven't noticed any difference in chest. It sucks, and I know I'm eating enough.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to do chest only once a week when I was on Chest/Tri's Monday, Back/Bi's Wesnesday and Legs/Shoulders Friday, then switched to Mon/Wed/Fri 5x5, and now Monday/Thursday, and I haven't noticed any difference in chest. It sucks, and I know I'm eating enough.
I change my routine about every 8 to 24 weeks. My current routine hits chest, tris,biceps,back,legs once per week. ABS,calves,and hamstrings 2x per week.

My other routine hits chest bis back 2x a week tris 3x a week and ABS 3 x a week light calves. Although I don't stay in this state for too long just enough time to break PR then back to the other.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow, and I thought my arms were long. My wingspan is just about 7 feet.
I can give one hell of a bear hug brother! Can't curl worth **** lol

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
I can give one hell of a bear hug brother! Can't curl worth **** lol
Yeah. I curl 105lbs on a barbell. Anything over that is pushing it lol. I'm working on it though.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah. I curl 105lbs on a barbell. Anything over that is pushing it lol. I'm working on it though.
I curl 90 :(

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
No offense but why the eff are we suggesting albuterol and erase and manipulating beta receptors when we have no idea the age, experience, or bf of this guy?

Seriously 80% of cutting right and maintaining muscle is your volume & frequency in training along with a very very steady calorie deficit.

If you gotta recommend supps without knowing about the OP I would say BCAAs during training and a high protein diet, so whey.
Ps: glutamine is useless unless injected. It's all absorbed and utilized by the small intestine :)