China for 1 month

ineedprotein

ineedprotein

Awards
Hey everyone,
Ive been cutting for around 1 month now and lost 3kg.
But im heading to china for work for 1 month and not really sure how to keep up my cutting.
Cals intake so far: 2000
Protein: 180g
Carbs: 100
Gym 2/3 times
Steady pace cardio x2 a week (injured ankle doing HIIT, but i can still squat)
Been doing clean diet with refeeds on weekends. Also taking caffeine, green tea extracr, glutamine, bcaas and usual protein.

I know im gonna eat a lot of chinese food, involving carbs, sat fats and ****loads of dressing. The hotel does have gym, but only with cardio stuff and machines. Maybe light dumbells but def no bar bell.......

How should i go about this?

I could aim at maintanence cals (2450) and do machine work and light cardio?

Starting worry about shrinking uppp
Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Eat less lol. The food choices will be different so spend some time researching the caloric content of the meals and ingredients but overall weight loss is a function of calories in vs. calories out (for the most part); just keep protein high and eat under maintenence and you'll be fine.

TrashCanman14

Awards
Hey everyone,
Ive been cutting for around 1 month now and lost 3kg.
But im heading to china for work for 1 month and not really sure how to keep up my cutting.
Cals intake so far: 2000
Protein: 180g
Carbs: 100
Gym 2/3 times
Steady pace cardio x2 a week (injured ankle doing HIIT, but i can still squat)
Been doing clean diet with refeeds on weekends. Also taking caffeine, green tea extracr, glutamine, bcaas and usual protein.

I know im gonna eat a lot of chinese food, involving carbs, sat fats and ****loads of dressing. The hotel does have gym, but only with cardio stuff and machines. Maybe light dumbells but def no bar bell.......

How should i go about this?

I could aim at maintanence cals (2450) and do machine work and light cardio?

Starting worry about shrinking uppp
Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!
Hey bro! I was in China for 6 weeks for work a couple of years back. I would be willing to bet that you will be in a similar situation to what I was in:
- Lots of company dinners / good restaurants

I actually loved the food in China and it conveniently fit with a dirty bulk I was doing at the time. The gyms at my hotels were actually pretty awesome (it helps that I was part of the group picking our hotels ;) ).

I would have had a lot of trouble cutting. I ate a ton of rice / carbs. I also was working out like a fiend at the time and put on a few pounds of muscle and a few of fat.

If you have any questions about spots / foods hit me up.

ineedprotein

ineedprotein

Awards
Hey bro! I was in China for 6 weeks for work a couple of years back. I would be willing to bet that you will be in a similar situation to what I was in:
- Lots of company dinners / good restaurants

I actually loved the food in China and it conveniently fit with a dirty bulk I was doing at the time. The gyms at my hotels were actually pretty awesome (it helps that I was part of the group picking our hotels ;) ).

I would have had a lot of trouble cutting. I ate a ton of rice / carbs. I also was working out like a fiend at the time and put on a few pounds of muscle and a few of fat.

If you have any questions about spots / foods hit me up.
Haha thanks man! Yeah just feels like there are gonna be tons of cheat meals!! Leaving in a week, so might give you a shout.

I need to balance my options.. So either

1) Start Intermittent fasting, with an eating window in the late afternoon. Odds are most meals will be packed with calories, so three meals adding up to 2000 could be done.

Or..

2) aim for maintenance level, keep intensity high and try going for a cheeky 4 week bulk.

Any ideas?

Also, since youve already been...how did you access internet? What vpn did you use? Apparently most websites are blocked.......

TrashCanman14

Awards
Haha thanks man! Yeah just feels like there are gonna be tons of cheat meals!! Leaving in a week, so might give you a shout.

I need to balance my options.. So either

1) Start Intermittent fasting, with an eating window in the late afternoon. Odds are most meals will be packed with calories, so three meals adding up to 2000 could be done.

Or..

2) aim for maintenance level, keep intensity high and try going for a cheeky 4 week bulk.

Any ideas?

Also, since youve already been...how did you access internet? What vpn did you use? Apparently most websites are blocked.......

My company had a VPN that we used to access our internal network...it also let me get onto any sites not blocked by work. Cell phone data worked too, but it is pretty damn expensive if you can't expense it.

I'm no expert, but I know option 2 would have been the easiest for me to do. There is some serious good food there if you look.

Cardio is doable, depending on where you end up. I found it really nice to run in Shanghai, but the pollution in Beijing / mainland China was brutal.

ineedprotein

ineedprotein

Awards
My company had a VPN that we used to access our internal network...it also let me get onto any sites not blocked by work. Cell phone data worked too, but it is pretty damn expensive if you can't expense it.

I'm no expert, but I know option 2 would have been the easiest for me to do. There is some serious good food there if you look.

Cardio is doable, depending on where you end up. I found it really nice to run in Shanghai, but the pollution in Beijing / mainland China was brutal.
Ok thanks. Yeah, ill try and bring as much of my stack as possible and then judge once im there.

ineedprotein

ineedprotein

Awards
So....one month nearly up. And..i cant ****ing wait to get back home!!
The food here is horrible. I've lost a lot of muscle mass, and noticed a lot more fat. My metabolism is ****ed. I can't eat clean unless i pay quite a bit. I'm impressed by how well you thought of shanghai. I'm not having the best time here. Plus, the gym is now closed for the third time in a month due to some insect infestation.
Oh and i havnt had any eggs or chicken due to the bird flu, i'd rather be safe then get back home ill and lose even more size. Anyway, this should be it for my mini-rant.

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
Proly not a grain of brown rice in sight. I can imagine the food their is not to bodybuilder friendly

ineedprotein

ineedprotein

Awards
Proly not a grain of brown rice in sight. I can imagine the food their is not to bodybuilder friendly
Well, they don't speak a word of english, so asking for brown rice (usually not on the menu) is next to impossible. The pork is full of simple carb sauces and covered in fat.

I end up sticking to burgers or western restaurants. And with no gym there only so much you can do..

JoeRich

Awards
bottom line is keep moving aka walking you should be ok

backbaycopley

backbaycopley

Awards
Was just in Asia for 3 weeks. Holy **** was the food good but "bad."
First thing I noticed was that the protein/carbs ratio is completely opposite of what I'm used to in the West.
Here you'll have the main portion be protein with a side of carbs. There, the carb is the main portion (rice, noodle) with a sliver of protein (lots of veggies though).
I asked for extra meat all the time, to some looks of confusion.

exrugger

Awards
That's funny I heard from at least five co-workers that the majority of Chinese food is 'aquired taste'/awful (international business). Maybe the small protein portions is why people tend to be shorter and smaller in stature in China?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
That's funny I heard from at least five co-workers that the majority of Chinese food is 'aquired taste'/awful (international business). Maybe the small protein portions is why people tend to be shorter and smaller in stature in China?
that actually is one of the reasons. another is because its very common for them to be lactose intolerant, which means lacking vit d in their diet

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that actually is one of the reasons. another is because its very common for them to be lactose intolerant, which means lacking vit d in their diet

Hmm, do you have a source for this? I'm just curious. As an anthropologist, I have a hard time believing anything that pigeonholes people into morphological types based on ethnicity, since there is more variation within ethnic groups than between them.