Ketosis Diet

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
Hi all, pretty new to all this forum stuff but I'm hoping everyone is nice..

Anyways - I want to start a ketosis diet (2 weeks on 1 week off thing) and I wanted anyone experienced in this diet to let me know how to go about starting and staying on this diet as I've heard it is very hard to stick to. Also should I stick with my current training plan or do I have I change the workout to suit my depleted glycogen stores? And lastly how fast would I be able to see results? I am currently at 83-85 kg mark as it often fluctuates and have been lifting for a year if that helps...

Thanks in advance!

exrugger

Awards
I noticed the easiest way to stick to the diet is having good recipes and cooking almost every meal. Also, when you feel the 'keto-flu' it is normal. To help w side effects I found that drinking extra water and taking in fat helps.

Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier

Awards
+1 on getting the cooking done ahead of time. Take a Saturday or Sunday and get your stuff made for the week. Do not expect miracles. If you eat too much on a low carb diet, you will still gain fat. There is no reason you should change up your work out routine. Some people advocate HIIT for cardio, other say steady state is best. You need to find out what works best for you. Your weight training may suffer a little because you are only taking about 30% of your calories from protein, but nothing consequential. As your glycogen falls off, you will start feeling tired and rung out, this is the "Keto Flu". It will pass.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
What about cardio frequency? I was planning to do 3-4 HIIT sessions on a stationary bike.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Buy psyllium husk before keto, first time I did keto I was backed up for a week. Not a pleasurable experience.

Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier

Awards
What about cardio frequency? I was planning to do 3-4 HIIT sessions on a stationary bike.
Not to sound vague, but what ever floats your boat. I do cardio everyday, steady state on lift days (3 day split) and off days I do HIIT on the treadmill. Again what ever works for you, as long as your heart rate gets up and you sweat.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
Not to sound vague, but what ever floats your boat. I do cardio everyday, steady state on lift days (3 day split) and off days I do HIIT on the treadmill. Again what ever works for you, as long as your heart rate gets up and you sweat.
What's your HIIT routine like? I find it quite difficult to stick to mine!

Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier

Awards
I do a 5/3, 5 minutes easy, 3 minutes balls to the wall. I do 5 cycles or roughly 40 minutes. If you are having a hard time with HIIT, maybe you should back off some. How are you doing yours?

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
Currently I do 1 min slow and 30 secs fast as I can, I find I don't recover enough and sometimes that's why I have to stop. Should I increase it to 3 mins slow and 30 secs fast? I mean I sweat like a bi*ch anyways no matter what cardio I do.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
Also can someone give me some good examples of a decent meal plan in rough so I have some sort of idea what sort of foods I'm looking at please!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why the 2 weeks on 1 week off? Why not just do weekly carb up days?

Currently I do 1 min slow and 30 secs fast as I can, I find I don't recover enough and sometimes that's why I have to stop. Should I increase it to 3 mins slow and 30 secs fast? I mean I sweat like a bi*ch anyways no matter what cardio I do.
Try the 3 minutes rest and 30 sprint. It will allow you to push harder during your sprints. Also would do HIIT close after your carb up to deplete glycogen stores but that's about it.

Similarly might want to prioritize your workouts. You might have to back off the volume as you get further away from your carb ups.

As far as the diet don't turn this into a low fat diet. Eat red meat, fish, eggs, bacon, sausage, coconut oil, grass fed butter, chicken. Basically meat and then add fat if it isn't fatty.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
I had a quick read through some posts on various websites and 2 weeks on and one week off came up a few times? But carb up days sounds a lot better, thanks!

Yeah I was planning to do a 5x5 thing.

Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier

Awards
That 2 weeks on one off you mentioned, I hope that isn't concerning your keto plan. Go two weeks, then take ONE day off and carb up. In one week, if you are carb sensitive, you can unravel what you did for the two weeks.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
Yeah I did think that it was a bit strange having a whole week off!

missesmonique

missesmonique

Awards
That 2 weeks on one off you mentioned, I hope that isn't concerning your keto plan. Go two weeks, then take ONE day off and carb up. In one week, if you are carb sensitive, you can unravel what you did for the two weeks.
I agree with this. One day off. A week will put you out of Ketosis.

steven48

Awards
I'm on week 4. There's really no reason to take a week off. You won't lose muscle and once you get past the brain foggy period (1st week for me), the diet is a breeze and results are awesome. Don't do a ton of cardio in the beginning there's no need, I just started doing a lot of cardio this past week. Just make sure you get creative, eat stuff you like. Bacon is my best friend in the morning and peanut butter at night.

steven48

Awards
Also I would invest in a George foreman. Easy cooking and cleaning

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
I'm on week 4. There's really no reason to take a week off. You won't lose muscle and once you get past the brain foggy period (1st week for me), the diet is a breeze and results are awesome. Don't do a ton of cardio in the beginning there's no need, I just started doing a lot of cardio this past week. Just make sure you get creative, eat stuff you like. Bacon is my best friend in the morning and peanut butter at night.
How many meals are you sticking with? The normal 6 or? How quick are your results coming on? Thank you!

steven48

Awards
How many meals are you sticking with? The normal 6 or? How quick are your results coming on? Thank you!
I take carnitine and all my multis/fish oil soon as i wake up. Then I usually eat a big breakfast, around 5 eggs & 5 slices of bacon. Get my workout in and cook. My diet mainly consists of grilled chicken breast with lemon pepper. Ill cut it up and put it in a huge salad and eat it throughout the day. Throw some ranch in it for flavor and to get fats. I'd day the salad splits into a good 4-5 meals as I eat it throughout the day. At the end of the night ill eat some crunchy peanut butter if I need more protein/fat (making sure I don't exceed 30g carbs tho). Olive oil is also easy way to get fat and its very healthy, I've read many reports it prevents cardiovascular disease. As far as results go I started at 230, I'm down to 220 and starting to see my abs so probably 11-12% bf. All my pants/shorts are super loose, having to wear a belt. I tried clen during week 3 but it fked with my workouts so I decided to drop it till later.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
I take carnitine and all my multis/fish oil soon as i wake up. Then I usually eat a big breakfast, around 5 eggs & 5 slices of bacon. Get my workout in and cook. My diet mainly consists of grilled chicken breast with lemon pepper. Ill cut it up and put it in a huge salad and eat it throughout the day. Throw some ranch in it for flavor and to get fats. I'd day the salad splits into a good 4-5 meals as I eat it throughout the day. At the end of the night ill eat some crunchy peanut butter if I need more protein/fat (making sure I don't exceed 30g carbs tho). Olive oil is also easy way to get fat and its very healthy, I've read many reports it prevents cardiovascular disease. As far as results go I started at 230, I'm down to 220 and starting to see my abs so probably 11-12% bf. All my pants/shorts are super loose, having to wear a belt. I tried clen during week 3 but it fked with my workouts so I decided to drop it till later.
Thank you that is a heap of help! In terms of workouts for the first week what did you do?

steven48

Awards
Thank you that is a heap of help! In terms of workouts for the first week what did you do?
I just changed the rep scheme to lower reps. Also switch it up between barbell and dumbbell.

MONDAY: Chest, Back, Abs

High intensity workouts with 60 sec rest between sets, 90 sec rest between

each exercise

(this excludes all warm up sets)

Bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

T-bar Row 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Incline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Latpulldown to front 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Dips or Decline bench 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Shrugs 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Flys (any type) 2 sets, 10-12 reps

Reverse flys 2 sets, 10-12 reps