How much cardio is to much cardio? - AnabolicMinds.com

How much cardio is to much cardio?

  1. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Rep Power
    103036

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    How much cardio is to much cardio?


    I was gonna start my cardio at 5 days a week. M(hiit ), T(liss), W(hiit), Th(liss), F(hiit). I was just wondering how much is too much. Hiit will last 20 min or so. Liss 45 at a lil faster the a walk. So fast walk haha. If you guys have any suggestions or criticism I wanna hear it.

    Thanks


    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

  2. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Too much for what exactly? Depends on your goals?
  3. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    You're really over thinking things. Diet is most important. I can lose weight with no cardio and just diet alone.
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Rep Power
    1896201

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Cardio for? Cardio is tricky. You don't really want to start out too high because eventually your body will adapt and you'll have to increase cardio to insane amounts. Depends on your goals as well. Metabolic syndrome is something to consider as well as too much cardio can be damaging...
    Independent Review
  5. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Rep Power
    103036

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Too much for what exactly? Depends on your goals?
    Cut.
  6. New Member
    Epolis13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    113804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Just telling us you want to cut still doesn't provide us with much. How much do you want to lose? Where are you starting? What are you eating? What do the rest of your workouts look like? I agree with PalmFist in that you don't want to start out overly aggressive with cardio. You need to leave cards in your pocket for when you stop losing and need to introduce a new stimulus. If you make a dietary change first and then give that some time to see how that works, then you can play around with a little cardio after that. I personally hold out on cardio for as long as possible because I despise it. I can stay cardio-free for as close to 3 weeks out from a show. All diet-controlled with some METcons here and there.
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  7. Senior Member
    xigotmailx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Rep Power
    42673

    Reputation

    Calories in vs. calories out, just like everyone is saying you can lose easily without any cardio. The last 5 months I've dropped 4% bf with no cardio other than intense boning...lol. I agree with Epolis on keeping the cards in the pocket, dropping the fat with no cardio, means when you introduce it to your training, you don't have to do that much from the start. Bringing up Palm's point that your body will adapt to anything that you continuously do, aka starting cardio out high, only means you have to increase it from there
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!
  8. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Rep Power
    103036

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    3000 kcals clean. Will post meals when not on mobile. And looking to get to as low as bf% possible in 8-10 weeks. Not looking to loose a specific amount of weight each week. I would think .5 to 1lbs would be sufficient enough to maintain muscle. And lose body fat. I have not been bf% checked. But of I were to estimate 12-13%.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    No need for that much cardio simply for a 'cut'. Not saying that cardio is a bad thing, i'd argue the opposite, but cardio plays no better role in weight loss than the diet.
  10. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Rep Power
    103036

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    No need for that much cardio simply for a 'cut'. Not saying that cardio is a bad thing, i'd argue the opposite, but cardio plays no better role in weight loss than the diet.
    I would like it to speed up my metabolic rate. Not really using it to drop calories.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Ah, well then HIIT is the way to go. Go you
  12. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by xigotmailx View Post
    Calories in vs. calories out
    Absolutely not.

    The reason people tend to believe this is because when people lower calories, they tend to lower carbs. Lowering carbs causes the body to burn fat. All calories are not created equal.
  13. Senior Member
    xigotmailx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Rep Power
    42673

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Absolutely not.

    The reason people tend to believe this is because when people lower calories, they tend to lower carbs. Lowering carbs causes the body to burn fat. All calories are not created equal.
    This would be dependant per person. I must be a freak cause high carb, low carb, high protein, low fat, high fat, no matter what I do I can lose. I would say that changing the macros around does change the appearance of muscle definition for me
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!
  14. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Rep Power
    1896201

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Calories in vs calories out is a good basis for dieting whether on a cut or a bulk. Most BBer's can switch btwn cutting or bulking on something as simple as a 10-15% difference in calories. The percentages are just as important though. I like 40/40/20 or 40/30/30.

    Suggest watching Layne Norton's vlogs on metabolism. His site is www.biolayne.com/blog
    Independent Review
  15. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Absolutely not.

    The reason people tend to believe this is because when people lower calories, they tend to lower carbs. Lowering carbs causes the body to burn fat. All calories are not created equal.
    Not quite, and I have posted against this before in that other thread you called me out on. Being in a calorie deficit mobilises fatty acids whilst exercise enables the mobilised fatty acids to be used as a fuel regardless of whether you lower carbs or fats. The ideal words being calorie deficit.

    You coould potentially argue that the law of thermodynamics may not apply directly to open systems, but it at least holds true in most regards. For example, losing weight implies a calorie deficit and gaining weight implies a calorie excess. You do NOT have to lower carbs to 'burn' fat; you can see the studies and things I posted in the other thread if need be.
  16. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Rep Power
    1896201

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Name:  image-485083599.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  20.1 KB
    Independent Review
  17. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Ok, well I will give you this
    "If you are consuming enough fat to meet all your body’s requirements, your body won’t go after the fat in the fat cells no matter how severely you restrict your carbs. You will burn dietary fat only and no body fat. And you won’t lose weight." Low-carb and calories The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

    But again, if you drop calories without dropping any carbs (meaning you drop fat + protein) lean tissues will be targeted for energy. So although you may weigh less pounds/kg, we need to address body composition % changes from lean tissues vs. adipose tissues.

    and this is interesting as well
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...ays-a-calorie/

    PS- are we holding a grudge? lol. relax, it's only the internet
  18. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Ok, well I will give you this
    "If you are consuming enough fat to meet all your body’s requirements, your body won’t go after the fat in the fat cells no matter how severely you restrict your carbs. You will burn dietary fat only and no body fat. And you won’t lose weight." Low-carb and calories The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

    But again, if you drop calories without dropping any carbs (meaning you drop fat + protein) lean tissues will be targeted for energy. So although you may weigh less pounds/kg, we need to address body composition % changes from lean tissues vs. adipose tissues.

    and this is interesting as well
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...ays-a-calorie/

    PS- are we holding a grudge? lol. relax, it's only the internet
    No, but you keep calling peple out on things that hold truth yet the things you posted have been refuted many times.

    In any case, the law of thermodynamics still holds weight here; and I have posted studies that show that high carb-low fat diets do indeed work. When in a calorie deficit, the body is able to release FFAs into the plasma for use as a fuel.

    Just an observation, the first thing you posted actually doesn't support your viewpoint? It states that if you meet your daily requirements via fat then you won't burn fat no matter how much you restrict your carbs. he is referring to the law of thermodynamics, restricting carbs whilst still at maintenance will not result in weight loss.
  19. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    No, but you keep calling peple out on things that hold truth yet the things you posted have been refuted many times.

    In any case, the law of thermodynamics still holds weight here; and I have posted studies that show that high carb-low fat diets do indeed work. When in a calorie deficit, the body is able to release FFAs into the plasma for use as a fuel.

    Just an observation, the first thing you posted actually doesn't support your viewpoint? It states that if you meet your daily requirements via fat then you won't burn fat no matter how much you restrict your carbs. he is referring to the law of thermodynamics, restricting carbs whilst still at maintenance will not result in weight loss.
    No, just you, and only when you're wrong
  20. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Internet battle of the alphas lol
  21. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Rep Power
    1896201

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Internet battle of the alphas lol
    Battle of the alphas!? Lol. Your a joke. Do you even have any nutritional/chemistry/biology educational background to bring to the table? Or do you just read shyt and take it as gospel. Pretty sure it's the latter
    Independent Review
  22. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post

    Your a joke.
    Let me help you...

    It's "you're." That's the funny part
  23. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    But you could be right, I have no idea how I lost 8" off my waist
  24. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Rep Power
    1896201

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post

    Let me help you...

    It's "you're." That's the funny part
    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    But you could be right, I have no idea how I lost 8" off my waist
    Like I said, a joke

    I'm done here. You can have the last word...
    Independent Review
  25. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    No, just you, and only when you're wrong
    How exactly am I wrong? Even if carb intake constitutes the majority of your daily diet, if the amount consumed does not match the amount needed for daily activity, the body mobilises its own stored energy (majority fat) to restore energy balance (homeostatis). And thus activates weight loss.
  26. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    How exactly am I wrong? Even if carb intake constitutes the majority of your daily diet, if the amount consumed does not match the amount needed for daily activity, the body mobilises its own stored energy (majority fat) to restore energy balance (homeostatis). And thus activates weight loss.
    It's hard to have a discussion with you without you taking it personally. So I'm not sure how to respond.
  27. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If we could just discuss and not compete for the internet's biggest d!ck, perhaps we could both learn something. I don't know everything and don't pretend to, but I do know I had a 42+" waist for 3 years and now I have a 34. So telling me I'm wrong for doing stuff that's worked for me ain't going to fly.

    Now, if we are back on topic, I'm game to discuss.
  28. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    2179970

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post
    I was gonna start my cardio at 5 days a week. M(hiit ), T(liss), W(hiit), Th(liss), F(hiit). I was just wondering how much is too much. Hiit will last 20 min or so. Liss 45 at a lil faster the a walk. So fast walk haha. If you guys have any suggestions or criticism I wanna hear it.

    Thanks


    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    That looks fine. Best of luck with your goals
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  29. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    It's hard to have a discussion with you without you taking it personally. So I'm not sure how to respond.
    You said I was wrong, so i asked where I was wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    If we could just discuss and not compete for the internet's biggest d!ck, perhaps we could both learn something. I don't know everything and don't pretend to, but I do know I had a 42+" waist for 3 years and now I have a 34. So telling me I'm wrong for doing stuff that's worked for me ain't going to fly.

    Now, if we are back on topic, I'm game to discuss.
    And low carb worked for you which is good, but that does not imply it is the only way to do something. It is just one means to an end, not the only means. You said someone else was wrong by stating that by lowering carbs it is the only way to lose weight, I disagree. You can achieve weight loss without altering carb intake.
  30. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    weight loss is different than fat loss
  31. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    The implication of that meaning that high carb weight loss is mostly muscle mass? C'mon man, i've already explained that a deficit mobilises fatty acids.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20107198: high carb and high fat diets show similar weight loss
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22935440: Body-weight loss (includes Lean Mass measurements) and weight-maintenance depends on the high-protein, but not on the 'low-carb' component of the diet, while it is unrelated to the concomitant fat-content of the diet.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22850317: Unrelated, but what do you make of this @JudoJosh? These findings suggest that a dietary pattern characterised by a low amount of carbohydrate, but high amounts of protein and fat, is associated with a poorer small artery vascular reactivity in patients with increased CV risk.. Interesting.

    Anyway, i'm going to leave it here.
  32. New Member
    JDog479's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    39

    Reputation

    Hey, I've been lurking on these forums for quite sometime. I'm new to this posting thing, but this particular subject and the research you posted has me interested.

    Jiigzz, Would you actually recommend a high-carb over a high-fat?

    My cuts in the past have pretty much consisted of a low-carb approach. (The first was from 260 to 180, nothing special though, just a consistent calorie deficit) but the potential benefits of a high-carb, low fat, seem to be advantageous and favorable from my standpoint compared to those of a high-fat one.
  33. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    760990

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Anyway, i'm going to leave it here.
    Got page not found for those pubmeds. Anyhow, to each his own. I know low carbs works for fat loss for me based on my research and my results. All good here, check your reps
  34. Senior Member
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,366
    Rep Power
    97234

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Got page not found for those pubmeds. Anyhow, to each his own. I know low carbs works for fat loss for me based on my research and my results. All good here, check your reps
    Nobody is saying it doesn't work, but that it works because you are in deficit! A friend of my started a low carb diet when I asked him track calorie intake he was over 1000kcals under maintenance and he thought he was eating enough! Its all about the deficit baby!
  35. New Member
    drderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    35

    Reputation

    After reading this thread it's very obvious to me that what works for one may not for the others. There's no right or wrong, I've see bb ers get tight using both concept. Thanks for the interesting read... Peace
  36. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,207
    Rep Power
    3370562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JDog479 View Post
    Hey, I've been lurking on these forums for quite sometime. I'm new to this posting thing, but this particular subject and the research you posted has me interested.

    Jiigzz, Would you actually recommend a high-carb over a high-fat?

    My cuts in the past have pretty much consisted of a low-carb approach. (The first was from 260 to 180, nothing special though, just a consistent calorie deficit) but the potential benefits of a high-carb, low fat, seem to be advantageous and favorable from my standpoint compared to those of a high-fat one.
    I'm not a fan of high carb diets as often a high carb diet implies a low fat diet. I myself follow a low carb diet, only began that this year and i'm interested to see how it affects my blood panel. I like the idea of foods that were most prevelant during hunter-gatherer times (less processed) as the focus is on fats and proteins and minimal carbs; but this is really the subject of intense debate.


    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Got page not found for those pubmeds. Anyhow, to each his own. I know low carbs works for fat loss for me based on my research and my results. All good here, check your reps
    Ah, they should work now;

    Just to be clear; I always agreed on the stance that low-carb, high fat diets work but the same applies for the opposite.
  37. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    2179970

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Honestly as long as you are getting enough protein then the amount of carbs and fats you take in arent going to manifest into a significant difference in terms of body composition changes
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  38. New Member
    drderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    35

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Honestly as long as you are getting enough protein then the amount of carbs and fats you take in arent going to manifest into a significant difference in terms of body composition changes
    Exactly my friend
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How much protein is to much?
    By Rush8780 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  3. How many supplements is to much?
    By Akzel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
  4. How much cardio is too much?
    By The Brute in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in