Estimate my bf please.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Hey all,

Just curious if I can get some opinions on where my bf is currently. I've been trying to cut for quite awhile, and have hit a plateau. I've lost over a hundred pounds in the past year, gained a few back a few months ago, but have been on a new training regime and counting calories and macros for the past 2 months. Despite gaining strength and muscle, the scale isn't moving. I know it's not always gonna be going down, but I guess I'm just getting a bit discouraged. Anyway, let me know what you guys think I'm at. I know I've still got a long way to go.

image-197075533.jpg

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
25-30

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
30%+

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Thanks guys. I hope to be down to 20% by the end of summer.

Blaine123

Awards
Walk is great to increase metabolism, do walk for 30 minutes daily,
Do take whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits more in your diet meals....

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Walk is great to increase metabolism, do walk for 30 minutes daily,
Do take whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits more in your diet meals....
Low carbs...no grains!!!!

trn450

trn450

Awards
Estimating BF% can be difficult beyond a certain point. But, I'm in agreement with the other posters.

Now, the great thing about counting calories -- assuming you're counting every calorie -- is that you know exactly what you need to do to lose more weight. ^_^ Just reduce the calories.

Also, there are some people who theorize that having cheat days are essential to keeping your basal metabolic rate elevated. Cheat days are fine, but make sure that your total weekly caloric intake is still at your goal.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Estimating BF% can be difficult beyond a certain point. But, I'm in agreement with the other posters.

Now, the great thing about counting calories -- assuming you're counting every calorie -- is that you know exactly what you need to do to lose more weight. ^_^ Just reduce the calories.

Also, there are some people who theorize that having cheat days are essential to keeping your basal metabolic rate elevated. Cheat days are fine, but make sure that your total weekly caloric intake is still at your goal.
I totally agree about the cheat meals being essential to keeping metabolism revved up. Since I posted this ive continued to experiment with my macros, dropped daily calorie intake by 100kcals, and upped my fiber intake significantly. Since then the scale has been going down all week. Think I'm down about five pounds over the past ten days, so I'm stoked about that.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Hello,

I lost some more weight, and just wanted to get some opinions on where my bf % is at now. I invested in an Omron handheld that has me at 23.5%, but I hear they're not very accurate. Opinions please gentlemen. 5'9, 238lbs.

Attachments

trn450

trn450

Awards
I'd guess 28-30%. Keep up the excellent progress!

Electrical impedence devices are pretty fail though. lol. Mine puts me at 21%

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Rite on, thank you. I'm not too worried about bf%, as I see myself gaining muscle, and the scale slowly moving down. It's nice to get other guys opinions who've been in this game a lot longer tho.

Also I read even tho the handheld units aren't very accurate, you can still kind of use them as a gauge if you repeat the conditions you measured under consistently, so I'm trying to use it to see myself moving in the right direction.

Short term goal is to get to 215-220 by the end of August. I'll continue to keep pushing towards it. I look at body recomposition as a marathon, not a sprint. I got nothing but time.

trn450

trn450

Awards
You've got the right idea, keep at it!

IMHO, the best measurement of progress is a combination of pictures and measurements. BF% is a flimsy topic in general IMO. Doesn't really mean much in the long run. But, I do understand the curiosity.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
I agree. This is where I was two years ago, so anytime I get discouraged at slow progress I look back at photos like this to put things in perspective.

Attachments

saggy321

Awards
  • Established

This is so true. People run a daily deficit and have one huge cheat day which takes them into a calorie surplus at the end of the week. I've done it myself and wondered why I wasn't losing fat.

hitokiri

hitokiri

Awards
It's okay to have cheat day as long your diet still 90/10
It's important that you understand that despite the name of the term, you shouldn't spend an entire day once a week eating whatever you please. Instead, you should designate one day (usually the weekend, when you're more likely to be out and about) during which you will cheat on your diet one time. This can include the main course of a meal or the addition of a dessert--but probably shouldn't include both, unless the dessert is a healthy one. That means if pizza, hamburgers, bread, cake, cookies, ice cream or anything else has been banned from your diet, you can have one of them at one meal or snack time on the same day each week.

maul89

maul89

Awards
I'd suggest a refeed instead of a cheat. Decrease fat to 50 grams or less, protein to 1 gr/ lb and increase your calories to maintenance. The remaining calories come from carbs.

Been doing them for my whole diet and it "undo's" the negative effects of dieting. High carb refeeds raise leptin and lower ghrelin, which is always needed when in a deficit for a decent amount of time..

Good stuff man, keep it up!

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Dude your eyebrows are huge!

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I know. I usually hit em with hedge trimmers, but they've dulled the blade so I gotta buy sum new ones. I suspect they're adding about 4% to my bf.
You'll only know for sure with callipers. I would say maybe 3%, but it depends on your age.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 8
GrizzleB Weight Loss 43
jakz General Chat 31
anthon88 Weight Loss 16
Nutrition / Health 12