Specific Caloric Need Question

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
I work in a job that really has dramatic swings in energy expenditure each day. Some days, I am in my office and barely move from my chair the entire day. Other days, I log a couple hundred miles with many stops of mid duration (30 min) where I am running all over.

I'm 6'2 and 228. My question is shoudl I factor this into my caloric needs, or just use a baseline average discounting this change and considering my primary energy expenditure as my workouts (3x's week weights - hardcore/2-3 times week 30 min cardio)? I've found with my schedule going to weights four times a week kicks my ass and leaves me dragging. I always feel completely overtrained and this starts a viscious cycle, so as much as I hate it three times is the limit.

What formula would you use in this situation?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I work in a job that really has dramatic swings in energy expenditure each day. Some days, I am in my office and barely move from my chair the entire day. Other days, I log a couple hundred miles with many stops of mid duration (30 min) where I am running all over.

I'm 6'2 and 228. My question is shoudl I factor this into my caloric needs, or just use a baseline average discounting this change and considering my primary energy expenditure as my workouts (3x's week weights - hardcore/2-3 times week 30 min cardio)? I've found with my schedule going to weights four times a week kicks my ass and leaves me dragging. I always feel completely overtrained and this starts a viscious cycle, so as much as I hate it three times is the limit.

What formula would you use in this situation?

I wouldnt count your calories burned from your job unless it was an extremely physical job such as factory or construction. You didnt say what you do when you have to travel but I'm assuming its not anything to strenous. Count the cals you burn working out and of course you BMR cals which are cals you burn while your body maintains itself.