Recommended macros for cutting

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Hey guys, I've been experimenting some with keto and I do enjoy it so far, I'm 2 days into it and I can already tell I'm getting leaner. My question is tho, do I need more carbs? I'm only getting 35g a day and I'm 212lbs. I read in M&F that I should take in .5g per lb of body weight on rest days and 1g per lb on workout days. What advice would you guys give me for cutting fat? I'd like to be at 195lbs

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Hey guys, I've been experimenting some with keto and I do enjoy it so far, I'm 2 days into it and I can already tell I'm getting leaner. My question is tho, do I need more carbs? I'm only getting 35g a day and I'm 212lbs. I read in M&F that I should take in .5g per lb of body weight on rest days and 1g per lb on workout days. What advice would you guys give me for cutting fat? I'd like to be at 195lbs
If your on keto, the idea is to have no carbs and only have your scheduled carb refeed. Of course if you change diets then you will have to look into different macro ratios.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya keto and the m&f article are going to have different ratios. I would say if fat loss is your number 1 goal go with a keto diet with high carb refeeds.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Whilst there is no evidence that keto diets are any more effective at weight loss as opposed to other diet means (initital decreases in weight are often associated with decreased water retention of keto diets), the whole point of keto is to have a very small amount of carbs in order to enter a state of ketosis.

I would never advocate for a keto diet per se, unless in prevention or treatment of certain disorders but if you do continue this route, bear in mind that a diet is only as effective as your overall macronutrient intake and weight loss is not necessarilygoing to occur simply because you are carb deprived.

PROness

Awards
Multiply your body weight x10 to find your deficit calories then...

15% of calories should be fats
1g protein per lb. of body weight (calculate this into a % yourself)
the rest % of calories should be carbs (I prefer to eliminate carbs to strictly vegetables and the occasional potatoes)

This was all outlined in "A Flexible Diet" this week on t-nation; I almost felt as though they took all the fun out of figuring out macros. :sad3:

I'd rather not torture myself with keto so I just choose to do the above or just go balls to the wall caveman diet.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Multiply your body weight x10 to find your deficit calories then...

15% of calories should be fats
1g protein per lb. of body weight (calculate this into a % yourself)
the rest % of calories should be carbs (I prefer to eliminate carbs to strictly vegetables and the occasional potatoes)

This was all outlined in "A Flexible Diet" this week on t-nation; I almost felt as though they took all the fun out of figuring out macros. :sad3:

I'd rather not torture myself with keto so I just choose to do the above or just go balls to the wall caveman diet.
Mine would be fat 42 grams, carbs 282 grams, and protein 250 grams.

That would be some seriously low dietary fat if you ask me.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Mine would be fat 42 grams, carbs 282 grams, and protein 250 grams.

That would be some seriously low dietary fat if you ask me.
Agreed with this.
I'd personally lower carbs in favor of fats.

Although PROness did have some good advice on carb sources (veges and potatoes) which are my preferred carb sources.