Current Progress - 50lbs shed to date

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey everyone,

I have struggled for years . About 6 months ago I seen my doctor and my BP was out of control. I had been on BP meds once before and was taken off of it. She wanted to put me on again and I was not having it. I am 5'7" and at the time 207lbs. I wore xlarge shirts, and just barely fit into a 38 waist. I was a mess . As she was telling me about all the potential issues (that I had heard before) something snapped. As she was writing a script on her pad I told her I was not going to take it, Instead I wanted to drop some major weight. She insisted and I just said she could write it but next time I come I still will not have taken it, but I would have lost weight. I left with script in hand and a plan in my head.

I went home and I boxed up anything that was pre-packaged in my house. That left me with a bare cabinet. I went in the fridge and tossed out all condiments, butter, milk, etc leaving me with an empty fridge. My buddy did not have to shop for weeks after I brought it all to his house. The next day I went shopping. No list of diet items or anything like that. Frankly I refused to call what I was doing a diet. I was just changing my lifestyle. I stocked up on chicken, fat free yogurt, frozen greens, fresh greens, and so on and got to work. From this point on I was going to cook it all fresh or I was not eating it.

6 months later I am happy to report that I am 157 lbs and holding steady. 50lbs I have shed. I wear medium shirts, and a 31 waist. I did not take before photos because I was so ashamed of the way I look. I am still not some chiseled god and I still have a lot of work to do. So Whats next? Well about 2 months ago I started biking. I pedal from 8-20 miles per day on my mountain bike. And today I joined my local rec center for a whopping $55 for 6 months. I have tried to work out in the past, and failed. I just have always been intimidated . I am going to give it another go and look to AN for guidance and a good plan to get me going and keep me interested.

Here are a few crappy photos of what I am looking like today. Like I said, I still have a lot of work to do. But imagine 50lbs more on me and you can see why I am pretty happy with what I have done.

20130213_183823_zps8cd2bc09.jpg
20130322_211415_zps2dda0bd5.jpg

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Congratulations!
That is fantastic progress. You should be very proud of yourself.
I bet you feel so much better not carrying around that extra weight.
Keep up the good work.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
I do feel better for sure. It really just motivated me. Gym starts tomorrow. I have a few people who have offered to help me along the way. Cant wait

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Nice progress man. I would definitely look into putting on some more muscle now. Do a lot of reading on the basic programs to start out like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Don't be intimidated by the weights, everyone has to start somewhere. It's good to start with weights you are comfortable with in order to nail down your form and then you will be able to increase the weight in no time. Stick with it like you did with your diet and you will succeed. Once again, great work on your current progress!

Rhone

Awards
Congrats on the great progress! It's always great to hear about others' "It's time to change and nothing's going to stop me" moment.

I second the Starting Strength recommendation.

Alinshop

Banned
Awards
I like how you said your changing your lifestyle, not dieting. Nice work so far!

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Dieting = failure to me as they eventually end. 5 week, 8 week, whatever. What happens at the end. I started in the gym yesterday. Really just getting a feel for what everything is and what its for. I have to buddies that live a few hours away, but are helping me get a routine together. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Congratulations on your progress so far! It's always inspiring to see when people change their lifestyles and don't quit when the going gets tough! look into starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 for some decent beginners programs.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the weightless man! It would be great if the rest of the world would follow your lead and get off the meds and start living healthier keep up the good work and don't let the weights intimidate you and don't over do it at first, you don't want to be to sore from yesterday's workout where you can't complete today's.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
It took me years to figure all this out. Sad thing is I look at it now as a really minor lifestyle change. I still eat what I like. Sure I might prepare it differently, and do not eat as much of it, and I rarely ever let anyone/anyplace cook it for me, but its pretty easy.

I have tried to get friends on the bandwagon who complain about their weight with not much success. Have someone biking with me, and he says to me today "lets go for a bike ride and find something to eat, Im starving" I guess riding the bike is his way of justifying eating out..haha.

psizzle_8

Awards
Very nice job...like they said, now it's time to add some muscle to that frame :) you got this!

Marshall

Marshall

Awards
That is so AWESOME!! Great work!! I hope you'll update this thread from time-to-time to share your progress. One thing I've done that's helped me is to eat local fruits and vegetables in season (when possible) and uncooked. I've noticed a significant energy boost. No more afternoon coffee. All the best!!

Thatguy_603

Awards
Great job man. Losing 50 lbs is definitely an accomplishment. I know the feeling it makes u feel better physically and feel better about urself. Now just get the hang of lifting and u will be all set.