Critique my diet please!!

escalade

escalade

Awards
I am 34 years old 6'1 292lbs

9-930 protein bar (pure protein), 1 orange or apple

12-1230 large salad with chicken

3-330 2 cups sugar free jello, 14 Breton whole wheat mini crackers

530-600 chicken and vegetables (cooked in a crock pot)

I drink about 4-6 (1.5) liter bottles of water a day (water only, no pop or juice)

I lift light weights 3 times a week and run 2 or 3 times a week for 20 min

I work 12 hour shifts and don't ever get more then 7 hours sleep. Work days and nights

Any help, suggestions or comments are welcomed. Once I figure out how to upload a pic I will.

Thanks

Escalade

michelle82

Awards
Hey escalade, I don't know about nutrition but I know all the guys in here are very knowledgeable and they can help you out. My coach doc brown is on this site too and her husband is a coach too. You might wanna try to send him an inbox and let him know what you're trying to accomplish. He has a lot of experience and he will be more than happy to help you figure this out. Look for mattys4. Hope this helps!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What are your goals/ That intake seems rather low for someone your size, thats like my breakfast haha.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
1g per lb of bodyweight minimum.
Fats at .5g/lb minimum.
Carbs come from low gi berries, and lots of greens.

Until you starting getting below 15% bodyfat, there is NO need for any carbs at any time.

escalade

escalade

Awards
So could someone provide a sample diet for my weight. The only thing I don't like is fish. Just can't stomach it. I do like tuna from a can.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

I'm always strict when I eat and don't need a lot if variety.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Sample diets are hard to do when we know nothing about dietary habits, dislikes/likes and exercise. Things like that take a long time to do.
use myfitnesspal.com and google TDEE calculators and use them both to design a plan that works for you.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
So could someone provide a sample diet for my weight. The only thing I don't like is fish. Just can't stomach it. I do like tuna from a can.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

I'm always strict when I eat and don't need a lot if variety.
Keep it simple.
Chicken, olive oil, veggies
Steak, sauerkraut and coconut oil
Pork with nuts and greens salad

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Hey Bro,

I say this assuming you want to loose weight:

At this point i dont think you have to cut out your carbs. If I were you I would look at reducing your sugar intake. That would be my first step.
Secondly, Id start by only consuming carbs at breakfast pre and post workout. You are a big guy. Aim for 150g-200g of carbs a day from low gi sources.
All other meals should be protien and vegetables.

I would have a plan with somthing like this

Meal 1
1 cup of oats
1 cup of milk
Microwaved and cooked
add in 30g protein (1.5 scoops) protein powder and 2 sachets of stevia.

Meal 2
180 g tuna
Vegetables of choice (no potato or starch)

Meal 3
200g chicken thighs and vegetables of choice

Meal 4 (preworkout)
1 large can of baked beans (sauce washed off in strainer)
200g Beef or chicken

Workout**

Post workout shake
1.5 cups of frozen berries
2 scoop protein
2 sachets of stevia
1 teaspoon of barley grass

Blend until ready to drink

Meal 5
180 g tuna or 200g chicken
1 cup of basmati rice (measured cooked)
Vegetables

Meal 6
1 cup of low fat and low sugar cottage cheese
1 sachet of stevia
1/2 scoop of protien
Mix together.

You just dont want to drop all your carbs out at once. That leaves you know where to go later. However, all of these carbs are fairly low gi and have minimal suger. While i did not measure out the calories for your weight, I'd start with somthing like this and see how you go. If you are low on energy add in some penuts (handful) and fruit with a protein shake between meals or sligthly increase your portion sizes.

Just remember to cut out your sugar. That will be the hardest first step. Obviously if you dont workout dont have the post workout shake. Additionally, if you dont workout, replace meal 4 with another meal 3 and have baked beans in meal 5 instead of rice.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Protein-meat, eggs, cheese
Fats-avocados, nuts, natty PB, eggs
Carbs-beans (black, red, etc), quinoa, sweet potatoes, lower GI fruit, oats

I'll heartily disagree with some advice here. PWO you still want carbs, and you want high GI carbs. Eat a low fat PopTart, a bowl of cap'n crunch, whatever. This'll help with cravings. Otherwise keep your carbs around 150g on non training days.

Eat 250g+ protein and 70-80g fat. The key for the first 2-3 weeks is changing habits. I'd def. cut out the crackers and non-PWO sugar. Bad news.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Protein-meat, eggs, cheese
Fats-avocados, nuts, natty PB, eggs
Carbs-beans (black, red, etc), quinoa, sweet potatoes, lower GI fruit, oats

I'll heartily disagree with some advice here. PWO you still want carbs, and you want high GI carbs. Eat a low fat PopTart, a bowl of cap'n crunch, whatever. This'll help with cravings. Otherwise keep your carbs around 150g on non training days.

Eat 250g+ protein and 70-80g fat. The key for the first 2-3 weeks is changing habits. I'd def. cut out the crackers and non-PWO sugar. Bad news.
The more insulin resistant, the less carbs you need

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The less carbs he eats now, the faster his metabolism goes to ****.

Do you think people jump on board with keto & stick with it, or is a gradual change more effective?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
The less carbs he eats now, the faster his metabolism goes to ****.

Do you think people jump on board with keto & stick with it, or is a gradual change more effective?
Show me your reference for this? Fat and protein are "essential", carbs are not.

Eat more protein, body can upregulate it homeostasis and create gluconegenesis I.e. protein to glucose.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We're talking real world diet compliance. Again I ask, how sustainable (realistically) is keto for most people who have become overweight because of a (likely) carb-centric lifestyle.

It's not all science, sometimes you have to walk before you run.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For clarification, this is what runner_79 is speaking to;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/

I don't disagree, at all, on your stance re;carbs.

However, I'm approaching OP from a pragmatic standpoint. From MY EXPERIENCE, most people stick to plans longer when lifestyle changes are gradual. In this case, I believe a gradual nudge towards healthier choices would instill a different diet attitude. As we move forward, I believe that's where we can make changes to carb timing, carb restriction, etc.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
why not just "RIP" the bandaid off straight away instead of easing into it...relapse..."oh it ok, I trained hard today, i'll have some grains". Sure enough, you have eaten the whole packet...

People need to be accountable for themselves, we cant be vacuum cleaners.

drop gluten, wheat and minimize dairy exposure (can cause gastric permeability and bloating as lactose is hard to be broken down by some), eat loads of fibrous veggies, lots of fatty grass fed organic meats and stay at a caloric deficit. Get some training in there and slowly but surely, give yourself 30 days at what i am telling you...you WILL BE AMAZED!!!

minimise stress, get sleep, enjoy others and love life. you'll see your body change.

quick easy way to determine kcal intake for a sedentary person:-
bw (in lbs) x 12

work off that and adjust to your satiety Escalade.
Trust me, befriend good fats:-
nuts, seeds, olive oil, red palm oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar (not an oil).
loads of broccoli, snow peas, green beans, cauli, capsicum and small amount of squash (keep this very limited)
organic and free range fowl, grass fed beef, lamb, pork

ENJOY

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hey Bro,

I say this assuming you want to loose weight:

At this point i dont think you have to cut out your carbs. If I were you I would look at reducing your sugar intake. That would be my first step.
Secondly, Id start by only consuming carbs at breakfast pre and post workout. You are a big guy. Aim for 150g-200g of carbs a day from low gi sources.
All other meals should be protien and vegetables.

I would have a plan with somthing like this

Meal 1
1 cup of oats
1 cup of milk
Microwaved and cooked
add in 30g protein (1.5 scoops) protein powder and 2 sachets of stevia.

Meal 2
180 g tuna
Vegetables of choice (no potato or starch)

Meal 3
200g chicken thighs and vegetables of choice

Meal 4 (preworkout)
1 large can of baked beans (sauce washed off in strainer)
200g Beef or chicken

Workout**

Post workout shake
1.5 cups of frozen berries
2 scoop protein
2 sachets of stevia
1 teaspoon of barley grass

Blend until ready to drink

Meal 5
180 g tuna or 200g chicken
1 cup of basmati rice (measured cooked)
Vegetables

Meal 6
1 cup of low fat and low sugar cottage cheese
1 sachet of stevia
1/2 scoop of protien
Mix together.

You just dont want to drop all your carbs out at once. That leaves you know where to go later. However, all of these carbs are fairly low gi and have minimal suger. While i did not measure out the calories for your weight, I'd start with somthing like this and see how you go. If you are low on energy add in some penuts (handful) and fruit with a protein shake between meals or sligthly increase your portion sizes.

Just remember to cut out your sugar. That will be the hardest first step. Obviously if you dont workout dont have the post workout shake. Additionally, if you dont workout, replace meal 4 with another meal 3 and have baked beans in meal 5 instead of rice.
I agree with Berries, but as he gets leaner, this can be introduced with more detail and at a measured rate.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
why not just "RIP" the bandaid off straight away instead of easing into it...relapse..."oh it ok, I trained hard today, i'll have some grains". Sure enough, you have eaten the whole packet...

People need to be accountable for themselves, we cant be vacuum cleaners.

drop gluten, wheat and minimize dairy exposure (can cause gastric permeability and bloating as lactose is hard to be broken down by some), eat loads of fibrous veggies, lots of fatty grass fed organic meats and stay at a caloric deficit. Get some training in there and slowly but surely, give yourself 30 days at what i am telling you...you WILL BE AMAZED!!!

minimise stress, get sleep, enjoy others and love life. you'll see your body change.

quick easy way to determine kcal intake for a sedentary person:-
bw (in lbs) x 12

work off that and adjust to your satiety Escalade.
Trust me, befriend good fats:-
nuts, seeds, olive oil, red palm oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar (not an oil).
loads of broccoli, snow peas, green beans, cauli, capsicum and small amount of squash (keep this very limited)
organic and free range fowl, grass fed beef, lamb, pork

ENJOY
Seems you're intent on disagreeing and pushing that Paleo agenda. ;)

Carry on, good luck OP.

escalade

escalade

Awards
I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's responses!!! I'm going to take everyone's advice and put something together.

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not pushing paleo, just eat whole foods, limit grains and have a small amount of fruit. Minimal.

Just get your healthy fats, and eat plenty of good protein. Sleep.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Jump online, figure out your TDEE ( total daily energy expenditure ) in calories, eat at a deficit of 500calories daily. High protein moderate carbs and fats. Make small changes weekly, I found when I used to train people that smaller changes are easier to maintain.

escalade

escalade

Awards
So my tdee is about 3500... So if I eat 500 less then this I will lose weight? Or faster if I do 1000 less?

I still have a large gut and my upper inner legs are well just plain fat!!!

I am running outside/treadmill 3 days a week for 20 mins.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
So my tdee is about 3500... So if I eat 500 less then this I will lose weight? Or faster if I do 1000 less?

I still have a large gut and my upper inner legs are well just plain fat!!!

I am running outside/treadmill 3 days a week for 20 mins.
I would start with 500 and go from there. You dont want to much too soon or down the track you'll have nothing to adjust. It's a marathon, not a sprint ;)