Lost in weight Loss

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
I know Im supposed to be in a caloric deficit and I am most generally 2-300 hundred calories below my daily goal but not seeing the results. I do HIIT training three days per week and lift three days with medium weight high reps. My goal is to cut fat I'm currently at around 18% and want to be around 10. I follow a Paleo diet and my carbs are around 50 grams per day. I currently just started using Super HD to help aid me in my efforts. Please and advice it will be greatly appreciated. I use a calorie tracker and am consuming 1300 calories per day now. I cut it down by 250 due to seeing no results. Stats are 5ft 9" at 183#s. I started out at 209 on Jan 1st.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
your calories are tooo low. calculate your tdee

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Thanks. I just checked it out and your correct I'm way under. I'm not sure where I'm going to get the extra calories because I'm stuffed after eating 5xs per day now. I might have to pic my carb intake up with brown rice.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
higher fat...

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1300 calories is wayyy to low. Also the low weight higher reps for cutting is a myth.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
I do allot of crossfit type workouts but also mix it up with low reps high weights at times. I just calculated my calories for tomorrow and am up to 1879 with my fats at 64grams carbs 193 and protein at 168. This is up about 400cal from my norm and will be hard for me to eat. I will do some cardio in the morning burning around 300 cals. I appreciate the advice and will try to continue increasing the calories. I had a feeling I wasent getting enough but still had good energy but stalled on the weight loss.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do allot of crossfit type workouts but also mix it up with low reps high weights at times. I just calculated my calories for tomorrow and am up to 1879 with my fats at 64grams carbs 193 and protein at 168. This is up about 400cal from my norm and will be hard for me to eat. I will do some cardio in the morning burning around 300 cals. I appreciate the advice and will try to continue increasing the calories. I had a feeling I wasent getting enough but still had good energy but stalled on the weight loss.
I might as well just say it...fats should be about .5 g/ lb. Prot around 1 g/lb. And fill the rest of your calories with the carbs or more fat if you would rather. Try and keep sugars low (just what works for me, I try and shoot for less than 20 g/day but under 30 is okay for me). If you weigh 180 your macros should be about 90 g fat/180 g protein/and around 100 g carbs if my math in my head is right. Like I said, you can eat less carbs and up the fat if you prefer or respond better to fats.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thanks. I just checked it out and your correct I'm way under. I'm not sure where I'm going to get the extra calories because I'm stuffed after eating 5xs per day now. I might have to pic my carb intake up with brown rice.
Don't add in brown rice. If you are a true paleo you will know that is not a good idea; brown rice contains many phytates which are anti-nutrients. Its a no-go.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Thanks to all of you. I will listen to your advice. I hope my cal intake goes up and weight goes down. As for the Paleo thing I should have said I follow a clean diet for the most part. I don't like rice or oats but both are good choices for carbs for Simone who just does not eat allot. Thanks for the Macro numbers I was having a hard time figuring them out.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
One more noob question of mine is. If I take in 1800 cals then burn off 300 during cardio. Should I replenish them? Keep in mind I'm trying to loose weight but am still under where I should be for calories to begin with.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One more noob question of mine is. If I take in 1800 cals then burn off 300 during cardio. Should I replenish them? Keep in mind I'm trying to loose weight but am still under where I should be for calories to begin with.
Yes. At the end of the day you only want to be under your tdee by 2-500

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes; i'll explain it this way. Say, for example your calorie intake is 2000 (at which point you neither gain nor lose weight), now if you decided to attack weight loss from a diet only then i'd suggest eating in the realms of between 1500-1750kcal yielding between a 1/2 pound and a pound lost per week. If you decided to attack it from increasing calorie expenditure via exercise then your new intake is whatever it is you burnt off; for example if cardio increases calorie expenditure by 300 kcals then your new calorie maintainece is 2300, therefore if you continue to eat at 2000kcals you will still be at a deficit.

Losing weight doesn't mean you have to cut calories; you can approach it by simply increasing the intensity/ duration of exercise.

If you attack if from both a diet and exercise approach, then only eliminate food and increase exercise in a way that you still are only losing between 250-500kcals, unless you don't mind decreases in strength and a small decrease in muscle mass.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Thank you. Today was the most calories I think i have had in two months! I took in 2034 my sugar was high from the sweet potato at around 43 grams and will need adjusting. Protein at 194 carbs at 197 and fats at 68. I did 20 min on the arc machine and burnt aprox 250 cals. I will make some minor adjustments but like what you have said with the calorie deficiency advice.

Handytom

Awards
Walker diet shake

I substitute lunch w one of these 175 cal 6 g of fat, 6 gm of fiber and 24 g protein, and Im good til dinner

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
I might as well just say it...fats should be about .5 g/ lb. Prot around 1 g/lb. And fill the rest of your calories with the carbs or more fat if you would rather. Try and keep sugars low (just what works for me, I try and shoot for less than 20 g/day but under 30 is okay for me). If you weigh 180 your macros should be about 90 g fat/180 g protein/and around 100 g carbs if my math in my head is right. Like I said, you can eat less carbs and up the fat if you prefer or respond better to fats.
I am looking at a macro calculator and they are suggesting carbs at 371, protein 112 & fats at 56. Sounds a little off from what you have. Total cals at 2436.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I am looking at a macro calculator and they are suggesting carbs at 371, protein 112 & fats at 56. Sounds a little off from what you have. Total cals at 2436.
how much you way?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
In.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A question I've often wondered is: say I'm active at work and in the gym and you enjoy being sedentary on off days (my ass was made for chairs, get off my back, Jack). Should I run the tdee calculator for both active and not-so-active days?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you. Today was the most calories I think i have had in two months! I took in 2034 my sugar was high from the sweet potato at around 43 grams and will need adjusting. Protein at 194 carbs at 197 and fats at 68. I did 20 min on the arc machine and burnt aprox 250 cals. I will make some minor adjustments but like what you have said with the calorie deficiency advice.
Sugars from a sweet potatoe aren't a big deal. That was probably almost half of your sugars for the day. No need to take sweet potatoes out of your diet really.

Handytom

Awards
Calories

I think calories are the MOST imprtant, but I DID lose 20 pounds 1 5 yrs ago from a low fat diet...yogurt instead of ice cream, low fat milk instead of whole, reduced fat cheese, and less of that tooNowadays they say higher protein for it satisfies u longer...higher fiber keeps u satisfied, like the hi protein, high fiber bars like Fiber One ...and now GREEK yogurt has 3x the protein..

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Sugars from a sweet potatoe aren't a big deal. That was probably almost half of your sugars for the day. No need to take sweet potatoes out of your diet really.
The potatoes were part of it and I won't be eliminating them because I love them. I had a bagel with raisins in it with natural peanut butter. 12 grams of sugar in the bagel. Gonna do plain with almond butter going forward.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In__

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The potatoes were part of it and I won't be eliminating them because I love them. I had a bagel with raisins in it with natural peanut butter. 12 grams of sugar in the bagel. Gonna do plain with almond butter going forward.
Yah man no need to take out sweet potatoes. I love putting ground cinnamon on mine.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Yah man no need to take out sweet potatoes. I love putting ground cinnamon on mine.
I do exactly the same. One question I have now is I got my fats and protein where I need them but my total cals are only around 2000. So macro wise I think I'm good but overall calories may still be low? This is up about 400 from where I was earlier this week. I'm trying to get down to 170 lbs and am at 183 currently.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I drop my carb intake to that only in which I need for exercise and a little brain function. Fat comprises the bulk of my intake followed by carbs then protein. Macros vary depending on how you view them although there are baselines which you should be hitting.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A question I've often wondered is: say I'm active at work and in the gym and you enjoy being sedentary on off days (my ass was made for chairs, get off my back, Jack). Should I run the tdee calculator for both active and not-so-active days?
I keep my intake the same as I view rest days as my opportunity to grow + recover. You could drop it slightly if you wanted (like a recomp)

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
I drop my carb intake to that only in which I need for exercise and a little brain function. Fat comprises the bulk of my intake followed by carbs then protein. Macros vary depending on how you view them although there are baselines which you should be hitting.
I moved my fat intake up to 80 grams protein at 183 and carbs at 144 for tomorrow. This puts me at 2000 calories. I need to be around 2300 should I take something like waxy maze to help up the cals? I'm eating a ton of food. 6 small meals/7.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I moved my fat intake up to 80 grams protein at 183 and carbs at 144 for tomorrow. This puts me at 2000 calories. I need to be around 2300 should I take something like waxy maze to help up the cals? I'm eating a ton of food. 6 small meals/7.
Nah, just eat more :) if you really think you can't, then try making up a shake or something.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Eat nuts/nut butter, avocado, EVOO, coconut oil, etc. high Cal healthy foods.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Thanks guys! This already working I weighed in at 180 today. 3# lighter then yesterday. I love all the good food and am stuffed! I will keep you posted.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
One more question should I be hitting my TDEE number or my BMR? I have been about 300 cals above my BMR then burning them off with cardio so I am 200-300 below my BMR and stay in the deficit.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
One more question should I be hitting my TDEE number or my BMR? I have been about 300 cals above my BMR then burning them off with cardio so I am 200-300 below my BMR and stay in the deficit.
TDEE not BMR. BMR is the calories required to keep you alive (heart beat, renal function etc.) and does not include activity. If your BMR is only 1500kcals but your activity is a further 1500kcals on top of that (drastic example) then you are feeding your body nothing.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
TDEE not BMR. BMR is the calories required to keep you alive (heart beat, renal function etc.) and does not include activity. If your BMR is only 1500kcals but your activity is a further 1500kcals on top of that (drastic example) then you are feeding your body nothing.
Gotcha. So if I stay two to three hundred below my TDEE I will loose weight. I checked my numbers and that's about where I am averaging now.

Mitch42389

Awards
Actually I think you need some more FAT and CARBS in your diet. I know it is kind of ironic needing fat to lose weight but it really works that way. You need a certain amount of fat to help you lose weight, in the sense that it helps you be full and also burn other fat.

Also you need more carbs to get through your day without much trouble. Going too low on the recommended amount can be detrimental to your goals. My best source of it, BANANAS! Easy to eat and it digests faster than most carb-filled goodies. It's best before and after workouts. Add to your meal after your workouts, it works better that way.

And as for the Paleo diet, I think it's the best one out there. But the real question is, are you following the right one?

cooklikeacaveman,com

Found some more good information there about the diet, thought you might fancy a read.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Actually I think you need some more FAT and CARBS in your diet. I know it is kind of ironic needing fat to lose weight but it really works that way. You need a certain amount of fat to help you lose weight, in the sense that it helps you be full and also burn other fat.

Also you need more carbs to get through your day without much trouble. Going too low on the recommended amount can be detrimental to your goals. My best source of it, BANANAS! Easy to eat and it digests faster than most carb-filled goodies. It's best before and after workouts. Add to your meal after your workouts, it works better that way.

And as for the Paleo diet, I think it's the best one out there. But the real question is, are you following the right one?

cooklikeacaveman,com

Found some more good information there about the diet, thought you might fancy a read.
I'm working on building up may caloric intake currently. Going from 1500 to 2400 calories a day has been a workout in its self but I'm getting there. I was strict paleo for a long time and dropped the first 25lbs easily. Now I have added in some cottage cheese and Greek yogurt for the extra cals and protein. I followed the paleo solution by Robb Wolf. Thanks for the info. My macros are at 183 grams protein. 80grams fat. And the rest carbs. I like the banana idea but what about the sugar intake? Trying to stay below 20 grams if possible.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm working on building up may caloric intake currently. Going from 1500 to 2400 calories a day has been a workout in its self but I'm getting there. I was strict paleo for a long time and dropped the first 25lbs easily. Now I have added in some cottage cheese and Greek yogurt for the extra cals and protein. I followed the paleo solution by Robb Wolf. Thanks for the info. My macros are at 183 grams protein. 80grams fat. And the rest carbs. I like the banana idea but what about the sugar intake? Trying to stay below 20 grams if possible.
Yah idk why he advocates bananas being the best source of carbs...I don't quite agree. If you want fruit id settle for more fibrous fruits like apples, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries.

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Yah idk why he advocates bananas being the best source of carbs...I don't quite agree. If you want fruit id settle for more fibrous fruits like apples, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries.
I like blueberries and put them in my shakes daily. I'm up to 2300 cals now but think I still need to go a bit higher. I can feel my Abs but just have a thin layer of fat over them. Thinking another 8-10 pds to go before visible. Now doing 2a days. Cardio in a fasted state in the am. And weights in the pm. Low reps high weight.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bananas are a great source of Potassium, especially useful if your diet is higher in sodium (not that I buy into the whole "sodium causes hypertension" hypothesis").

clem3030

clem3030

Awards
Bananas are a great source of Potassium, especially useful if your diet is higher in sodium (not that I buy into the whole "sodium causes hypertension" hypothesis").
What about the sugar? Is it ok to have a high day from fruit? I try to stay around 20grams or less per day. I do like to eat a banana after I lift heavy.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use avocados, almonds, etc to get potassium. I'm in no way against bananas/fruit but I just feel there are better ways to get in your vit k (I meant potassium, my bad).

Edit: I was a little drunk yesterday.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I use avocados, almonds, etc to get potassium. I'm in no way against bananas/fruit but I just feel there are better ways to get in your vitamin k.
Vitamin K isn't pottasium lol :D , but yeah other sources are fine. I'm never concerned with sugar myself as i always pair a sugar with a fat or protein to lower the insulin response unless intra or post workout.

Anyway, in terms of fruit, I would choose Blueberries and apples over a banana. I just like bananas lol