which?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
whole wheat or multigrain bagel....as far as better for you. just got this craving for one lately.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Both whole wheat or multi grain will hurt you....unless you're on an odd diet, either will be fine. Do you have the nutritional content of each? thats would help considerably.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Both whole wheat or multi grain will hurt you....unless you're on an odd diet, either will be fine. Do you have the nutritional content of each? thats would help considerably.
no. thinking of buying my bagels from corner ny bagel shops. and you said, "both will burt you..." will? im sure you meant wont? nah, i aint on any particular diet. just eating well and pretty clean. (5'9 @ 164) its just that usually multigrain(s) bread or bagel taste better than whole wheat but im very sure multigrain is still enriched wheat flour while whole wheat which obviously has wheat flour as its prime source....

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Look at the ingredients. I'm pretty sure they don't use unbromated wheat flour as the predominant ingredient in the bagels. I buy the bread, more specifically because I can read the ingredient list.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ya, i get majority of my complex carbs from oatmeal, brownrcie, potatoes, whole wheat bread and pasta. and simple carbs from fruits and dext/malt @ postworkout. but having bagel shops at every ny street corner, im taunted to get some bagels and want to keep a clean diet (i know we aint talking about a donut place but stil....)

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
but having bagel shops at every ny street corner, im taunted to get some bagels and want to keep a clean diet (i know we aint talking about a donut place but stil....)
Tell me about it!:rolleyes:

R.I.C.

Awards
I know we're getting extreme here - they're only Bagels !

But for argument's sake; there are 2 issues to be addressed as far as which Bagel to choose.
1. Fat content.
2. Glycemic Index

1. I'm guessing they probably both have the same amount of fat, judging by what I've read on the nutrition labels of White and Whole Wheat bread.

2. The wholewheat bread is more likely to have a lower GI than it's multigrain counterpart (as mentioned earlier - wholewheat flour versus wheat enriched flour), resulting in a lower insulin spike, which is good if your cutting.

So the winner IMHO, is.... *drum roll*..... the whole wheat bagel !!

That said, if you really wanted the multigrain bagel - slap on some cottage cheese, which will lower the overall Glycemic Load of the meal.

Just for arguments sake ofcourse.... :p

bigbadboss101

Awards
I look at the ingredient list and make sure the first one isn't 'enriched flour'. Some stuff you can get for 99cents (Canadian), and others will cost $3.50. Do you guys spend the extra bucks?

Also, I like my OJ. Do you think it's worthwhile to spend the extra $ to get the so called pure OJ, like Tropicana? It's about $3.79 a carton vs the Minute Maid Concentrate @$2.50. Then one can get the artificial OJ for a buck.

I like the tropicana extra pulp, and the dempster bread myself

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I look at the ingredient list and make sure the first one isn't 'enriched flour'. Some stuff you can get for 99cents (Canadian), and others will cost $3.50. Do you guys spend the extra bucks?

Also, I like my OJ. Do you think it's worthwhile to spend the extra $ to get the so called pure OJ, like Tropicana? It's about $3.79 a carton vs the Minute Maid Concentrate @$2.50. Then one can get the artificial OJ for a buck.

I like the tropicana extra pulp, and the dempster bread myself
i go through the same deal when i grocery shop. i choose the cheaper as long as the first ingredient is whole wheat or stoneground wheat. as far as oj goes, stores always have tropicana for sale every week it seems like. i would def. stick with 100% than from concentrate.