Wholegrains

a312

Awards
Whats the deal with wholegrain and wholemeal carbs? No good?

Also, oats so simple the microwaveable kind? Nk good? Which oats are best?

All this with the goal being fat loss

Thank you

digitalducki

digitalducki

Awards
  • Established
If the goal is fat loss I'd cut out all grains and processed food.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Whats the deal with wholegrain and wholemeal carbs? No good?

Also, oats so simple the microwaveable kind? Nk good? Which oats are best?

All this with the goal being fat loss

Thank you
Steel cut oats are the best!! But rolled is minimally proccessed

a312

Awards
So rolled oats are still ok u would say? But steel cut is the better option

gopro2013

Awards
I am not sure "what the deal it" I can tell you that if I get gluten in my diet at all I tend to blow up. So gluten free tends to work the best for me.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
If the goal is fat loss I'd cut out all grains and processed food.
If the goal is fat loss then you need to ingest less calories than you expend, ideally -500 daily average. There is some research that concludes macro/nutrient timing has some effect on on body composition independent of calorific content. You don't need to cut out any whole food groups - you really don't!

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If the goal is fat loss then you need to ingest less calories than you expend, ideally -500 daily average. There is some research that concludes macro/nutrient timing has some effect on on body composition independent of calorific content. You don't need to cut out any whole food groups - you really don't!
this. unless youre prepping for a competition, just concentrate on eating less cals than you burn.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I avoid grains in general (also gluten free) and there is a thread on here started by ZiR Red that goes into the reasoning behind it.

digitalducki

digitalducki

Awards
  • Established
I also avoid grains. Don't miss em a bit

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I avoid grains in general (also gluten free) and there is a thread on here started by ZiR Red that goes into the reasoning behind it.
Yes, but they are for other reasons, I think, than because they are a carbohydrate. There is also a nutritional counter-argument. But my point is that if you enjoy wholegrains, I do, then you don't need to deprive yourself of them thinking it would offer a greater amount of fat loss.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes, but they are for other reasons, I think, than because they are a carbohydrate. There is also a nutritional counter-argument. But my point is that if you enjoy wholegrains, I do, then you don't need to deprive yourself of them thinking it would offer a greater amount of fat loss.
The fact they are a carbohydrate is of no concern, the fact is, is that wheat is genetically engineered by crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses and via a few other processes (including xray and gamma ray) to make the plants more resiliant. This link explains it much better than I ever could.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/02/08/early-humans-wheat-cultivation-and-your-health/

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Steel cut oats are popular but gah I can't get over the texture.....chewy oatmeal...boooo. gotta cook those buggers for like 30mins

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
The fact they are a carbohydrate is of no concern, the fact is, is that wheat is genetically engineered by crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses and via a few other processes (including xray and gamma ray) to make the plants more resiliant. This link explains it much better than I ever could.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/02/08/early-humans-wheat-cultivation-and-your-health/
Just read the article...very informative. It's convinced me to at least try a gluten free diet. But I wonder only 40 to 50 grams per day would have much of an effect.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Just read the article...very informative. It's convinced me to at least try a gluten free diet. But I wonder only 40 to 50 grams per day would have much of an effect.
It is very interesting, and very well researched. Give it a try for a month or so and report back if you notice any differences.

alaskabound

Awards
caloric deficitis what matters for weightloss but when choosing carbs, whole wheat and whole grain is a good route to go for overall health as well as physique

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
caloric deficitis what matters for weightloss but when choosing carbs, whole wheat and whole grain is a good route to go for overall health as well as physique
As Tomahawk said, this is disputed. Do you know what the definition of whole wheat is?

Rhone

Awards
I spent my entire adult life buying into the whole grain propaganda and scoffing at the idea of "a calorie is a calorie"; I also spent my entire adult life (until now) obese and not able to lose much weight even though I read so much and could talk like a nutrition know-it-all.

Now, don't get me wrong--I still think, as a general rule, the more natural and less processed the food, the healthier it is. Some foods are more satiating for the calories they provide, making calorie restrictions easier. Nutrition and satiation are definitely important considerations. But in terms of weight gain/loss, cals in/out is the #1 factor, macros a distant #2, and everything else is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

My own experience: During my weight loss, I read Wheat Belly and stopped eating wheat/gluten products but kept my calories the same. I continued losing weight at the same rate I was already losing at. I think the author's claims of people losing weight when they stopped eating wheat is due primarily to eating more satiating high protein/fat food, experiencing less insulin-spike cravings, and thus eating fewer calories. For the record, I've continued eating wheat/gluten free anyway because I realized I don't miss it (and I can occasionally indulge in gluten free versions of the few things (mmmm brownies) I otherwise would miss) and the author still convinced me of the health implications.

Also, more recently, I switched from buying brown rice to white rice. I forced myself to buy brown rice for years with no benefit, because it turns out I ****ing hate brown rice no matter how I try to cook it, and hating your own cooking is a good way to sabotage a diet. It also turns out that I LOOOOVE white basmati, so that's what I buy now. Now I also love my homemade curries over rice and meaty fried rice dishes. The frequent white rice intake has done nothing to slow down my weight loss.

One last note: If you're stressing over fiber content because you're constipated, you're not eating enough fruits and veggies.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, more recently, I switched from buying brown rice to white rice. I forced myself to buy brown rice for years with no benefit, because it turns out I ****ing hate brown rice no matter how I try to cook it, and hating your own cooking is a good way to sabotage a diet. It also turns out that I LOOOOVE white basmati, so that's what I buy now. Now I also love my homemade curries over rice and meaty fried rice dishes. The frequent white rice intake has done nothing to slow down my weight loss.
Ever try quinoa? I'm not saying white rice is bad at all. Just offering another option.

Rhone

Awards
Ever try quinoa? I'm not saying white rice is bad at all. Just offering another option.
Honestly, that's something I've had in the back of my mind to try for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. Does it work/taste fairly well as a drop-in replacement for rice (e.g. if I put some curry over it), or is it better off being used differently?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly, that's something I've had in the back of my mind to try for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. Does it work/taste fairly well as a drop-in replacement for rice (e.g. if I put some curry over it), or is it better off being used differently?
Yah it can be substituted pretty much directly for rice. You can also cook other things with the quinoa and it absorbs the flavor of it. You can do a lot of things with it to change the flavor so it goes along with the main ingredient in the meal. I love the stuff.

averyclay

averyclay

Awards
Hi there,

No its a good thing if you try it perfectly

flamini

flamini

Awards
OKAY heres the deal...

whole grain means literally nothing. For example whole gain bread... practically white bread dyed brown..YES that happens. You compare labels and say "hmmm wel this has more vitamins and 'whole gain'" BUT its not significant. this whole grain you may be buying. it MUST say ""100%""! whole grain, other wise your wasting your money. Im not going to give all the reasons why, you can do the research on your own and take my advice for what it is. Ezekiel bread, once daily, WILL NOTTT!!! hinder fat loss, especially if eaten post workout to replace glycogen storages. Yes, even eating 100% whole grains will be bad if your eating them all day ( need to say that because someone on here is bound to argue that all carbs will put on weight, and that gluten is the devil). 100 percent whole grains in moderation post exercise is GOOD. even on a SMART low carb and cal diet.FACT.

Oatmeal, also fine in moderation. Which kind probably 'steel cut'.