Amount of Protein that can be absorbed

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I always tought the more protein you get, the more amino acids are available for protein synthesis.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    I always tought the more protein you get, the more amino acids are available for protein synthesis.
    It is not a limitless equation, though. Train hard, and you will force protein synthesis to recover and rebuild tissue, and eating some extra protein (over the amount needed by a sedentary individual) will allow that. But consumption of additional protein over the amount necessary for that process does not result in even more tissue creation. And of course, with truly excessive protein intake, you not only don't get the extra synthesis into tissue, but you also inherit some health issues as well. The kidney issue is overblown, but ther are health impacts o excessive protein intake. Most of us are young enough that these issues don't impact us in a way we can observe, but they impact our health all the same.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Manwhore
    Yes but i think many people think the extra size is from the PROTEIN and not just the calories in general. People always say "I need all this protein for my muscles or they won't grow(not exact words)" when it's really just the added calories. Another thing,the more fat taken in means more fat used as fuel and then when cutting and dropping calories,fat is lost faster because it's being used at a higher rate. Just throwing this out here,if i'm wrong let me know.
    LMAO.. sometimes I wonder if you guys even read the threads before posting...

4. I have heard(speculation) that you can absorb more protein when you are eating a meal rather than drinking a shake, because the whole foods are broken down by the digestive system slower, allowing you to absorb more protein.

5. Quote Originally Posted by timogburn
    I have heard(speculation) that you can absorb more protein when you are eating a meal rather than drinking a shake, because the whole foods are broken down by the digestive system slower, allowing you to absorb more protein.
    That would make sense, certainly, both from the perspective of taking protein with fats, which slow digestion overall (increasing total potential absorbtion), or simply taking in a protein that simply travels more slowly, like casein vs. whey. Those considerations would certainly impact the total grams absorbed in a given period of time, as would the time of your previous meal, relative emptiness of stomach, exercise timing, etc.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by timogburn
    I have heard(speculation) that you can absorb more protein when you are eating a meal rather than drinking a shake, because the whole foods are broken down by the digestive system slower, allowing you to absorb more protein.
    It is true and has more to do with the overall steps of digestions and absortion of a solid meal vs. a liquid meal rather than the makeup (macronutrients) of a meal.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

7. The liver damage comes from all the protein shakes and not the protein foods. A friend of mine had liver problems while taking in high amounts of protein and found out it was from the protein supps. Alot of people drink tons of protein supps and think they are doing themselfs good but your body can't use what it can't digest and it's harder to digest supps than it is the digest whole foods. Let me refraise that... Your body can't use supplements like it can use whole foods for growth.

8. Quote Originally Posted by pu12en12g
    LMAO.. sometimes I wonder if you guys even read the threads before posting...
    And that's exactly what the thread is about. Why waste your hard earned money on all the protein when you don't need it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 06:11 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
  3. What amount of protein that you eat do you absorb?
    By chainsaw in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 09:47 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:56 AM
  5. Amount of 1test that can be put into AndroSpray
    By nsruffryder34 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 03:18 PM