Advice?

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Hey guys I'm a 20 year old college student that's been watching what I eat and working out for about a year now and I've hit a plateau on my weight loss goals. I workout 6-7 times a week, rarely do cardio (bc of the winter), and eat about 2350 calories a day. My supps list include: PWO, BCAAs, whey, fish oil, green tea, cla, and a multi. I would just like some advice on busting past this plateau and getting under 200lbs. My before pic I was 285lbs with a 40" waist, I'm currently 207lbs with a 34" waist. Thanks guys!

Attachments

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You look awesome!!

mik14

mik14

Awards
Awesom job!

Just noticed you say barley do cardio but train 6-7 times a week. Is that weight training 6-7 times a week.

You can always weights 3x a week and through in some hiit 3-4times a week! Hiit with a good diet works awesome!

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Awesom job!

Just noticed you say barley do cardio but train 6-7 times a week. Is that weight training 6-7 times a week.

You can always weights 3x a week and through in some hiit 3-4times a week! Hiit with a good diet works awesome!
Thanks man...and I do weights pretty hard, about 60-75 minutes a day. I love it, I'm doing Jim Stoppani's superman program now, and soon as I finish that I'm gonna focus at lot on HIIT and less calories...good idea?

mik14

mik14

Awards
Iv recently dropped the calories and added Hiit with a clean and maintainable diet and getting great results, I'm going into 5th week now. When I started hiit I was stuffed in 15 mins doing it 3x a week.

Now in doing it 4 times a week half hour each session and can see the difference each week! You will do awesome you have already had great results. Keep in mind recovery is important for muscle growth so get in your days off weight training.

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Iv recently dropped the calories and added Hiit with a clean and maintainable diet and getting great results, I'm going into 5th week now. When I started hiit I was stuffed in 15 mins doing it 3x a week.

Now in doing it 4 times a week half hour each session and can see the difference each week! You will do awesome you have already had great results. Keep in mind recovery is important for muscle growth so get in your days off weight training.
Gotcha, thanks a lot! What does your HIIT consist of exactly?

mik14

mik14

Awards
Eg: sprint flat out for 30secs then walk for 1-2mins then repeat over.

But you can switch it up using bikes, rower etc.

I do stair sprints for 30 sec intervals flat out, then walk and get my breath for about 1-1.5mins, then go again, every 3rd set I might change from sprinting up the stairs to jumping up every 3rd step as fast as I can for 30secs.

Once i have completed about 20 mins on the stairs il take a break for 5 mins then go do flat sprints on the oval. Sprint width ways across the oval, then walk back to where I started... Then sprint again , and continue for 10mins.

Google HIIT there is a lot of different options but it really works well, it suppose to burn calories upto 24hrs after the session. Definately beats spending a hour on a treadmill

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Awesome, thanks for all the info man! I'm def gonna try that

67nova

Awards
If your doing the superman program why are you lifting 5-6days?Thats a 4 day split.Stick to that and add 15-20min cardio post and wed/sat for 30-45 at moderate intenisty,as superman progman is pretty taxing as it is for alot of hitt.

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
If your doing the superman program why are you lifting 5-6days?Thats a 4 day split.Stick to that and add 15-20min cardio post and wed/sat for 30-45 at moderate intenisty,as superman progman is pretty taxing as it is for alot of hitt.
I do the Superman Monday-Thursday when I'm at school, then Friday and Saturday I do random musclepharm workouts at my gym back home.
As far as nutrition goes, how many calories should I eat? I try to get in about 230g of protein per day and no more than 2500 calories.

DocBrown

DocBrown

Awards
you are actually looking really amazing, and I think that you are right to look into making a diet adaptation. If you are at 230gm of protein and around 2500 cals what do you other macros look like? and how clean are your macro sources?
:)
I love it! Keep it up!

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
you are actually looking really amazing, and I think that you are right to look into making a diet adaptation. If you are at 230gm of protein and around 2500 cals what do you other macros look like? and how clean are your macro sources?
:)
I love it! Keep it up!
Ah thanks! And as far as macros go, forgive my ignorance but I'm not really familiar with what that means lol...I know I eat around 175g of carbs and around 100g of fat a day... I eat things like eggs, egg whites, protein pancakes, whey shakes, peanut butter, grilled pork, grilled chicken (those bags of frozen chicken breasts from Kroger), Greek yogurt, canned tuna, green beans, apples, and bananas lol

DocBrown

DocBrown

Awards
Ah thanks! And as far as macros go, forgive my ignorance but I'm not really familiar with what that means lol...I know I eat around 175g of carbs and around 100g of fat a day... I eat things like eggs, egg whites, protein pancakes, whey shakes, peanut butter, grilled pork, grilled chicken (those bags of frozen chicken breasts from Kroger), Greek yogurt, canned tuna, green beans, apples, and bananas lol
no you got it right! :)
sorry what I meant by it was what about your carbs and your fats (other macros lol)
and from the list that you have given it looks like you fairly clean/natural-kudos!. How long have you been at the 2500 cals with the macros at the amounts that you just gave?

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
no you got it right! :)
sorry what I meant by it was what about your carbs and your fats (other macros lol)
and from the list that you have given it looks like you fairly clean/natural-kudos!. How long have you been at the 2500 cals with the macros at the amounts that you just gave?
Ah cool cool! Lol thank you, I used to stay around 1950 calories with no more than 150g of protein ever, but since I started the superman program (3 weeks ago) I've upped my calories and protein up to about 2500 and ~230, respectively, and I've pack on 10lbs these last three weeks. I don't feel/look any fatter, but I really wanna get under 212lbs. I was at 202.8 before starting the superman program, and after I finish I think I'm going to do musclepharm's bizzy diet for 21 days and try to cut away some of this fat.

Thanks for all the advice! I love it :D

67nova

Awards
Watch how much lifting your doing on top of that routine,you need recovery for it to work.
Also if your energy is good and your still losing fat then you got your diet pretty well in order.

As for diet details your protein intake looks good so does fat intake carbs seem low for high intensity lifting but everybody is different when it comes to diet.If its working dont change it.If your feeling worn out your lifting to much(recovery)or not getting enough cals or the combo of both.

Which will have you overreaching in a few weeks and overtraining in a few months at that pace.Yes there is such a thing as overtraining when you dont eat enough and train to much(been there)

DocBrown

DocBrown

Awards
Ah cool cool! Lol thank you, I used to stay around 1950 calories with no more than 150g of protein ever, but since I started the superman program (3 weeks ago) I've upped my calories and protein up to about 2500 and ~230, respectively, and I've pack on 10lbs these last three weeks. I don't feel/look any fatter, but I really wanna get under 212lbs. I was at 202.8 before starting the superman program, and after I finish I think I'm going to do musclepharm's bizzy diet for 21 days and try to cut away some of this fat.

Thanks for all the advice! I love it :D
LOL so it sounds like you already know what you are going to do...what was your question? ;)

67nova

Awards
Always go with your ideas for a test run,your have more humbleness if it works then you would've by been being told.If it doesnt you now know not to do it again(nor recommend it)

But help/input does have its place at times if you really cant seem to get the results your after.

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Always go with your ideas for a test run,your have more humbleness if it works then you would've by been being told.If it doesnt you now know not to do it again(nor recommend it)

But help/input does have its place at times if you really cant seem to get the results your after.
Thank you my friend! I'm just so hungry to get ripped

67nova

Awards
Your very welcome!Nice largemouth by the way.Remember too that everything will take some time,you've made awesome progress already so dont be discouraged when hurldels hit , it comes with work/knowledge and self-control,but try everything you can to get it with enjoyment.

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Your very welcome!Nice largemouth by the way.Remember too that everything will take some time,you've made awesome progress already so dont be discouraged when hurldels hit , it comes with work/knowledge and self-control,but try everything you can to get it with enjoyment.
Ah thank you! I've caught quite a few. I hear people talking about cycling calories, like eating a little for a few days then eating a significant amount more for a day to spike their metabolism...is there any validity to that?

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Watch how much lifting your doing on top of that routine,you need recovery for it to work.
Also if your energy is good and your still losing fat then you got your diet pretty well in order.

As for diet details your protein intake looks good so does fat intake carbs seem low for high intensity lifting but everybody is different when it comes to diet.If its working dont change it.If your feeling worn out your lifting to much(recovery)or not getting enough cals or the combo of both.

Which will have you overreaching in a few weeks and overtraining in a few months at that pace.Yes there is such a thing as overtraining when you dont eat enough and train to much(been there)
And I know what you mean, I try not to lift so much but I find it so addicting and I LOVE being in the gym getting a good sweat in. I do fear overtraining tho, could I possibly do cardio on days I decide to recover tho? I always have energy, I don't ever feel drained, (until after my lifts for a few hours)

DocBrown

DocBrown

Awards

nova I really love your words of wisdom! everything does take time and patience even if want results fast...good things certainly take time, with consistency :)

And I know what you mean, I try not to lift so much but I find it so addicting and I LOVE being in the gym getting a good sweat in. I do fear overtraining tho, could I possibly do cardio on days I decide to recover tho? I always have energy, I don't ever feel drained, (until after my lifts for a few hours)
you might want to try adding LISS cardio on recovery days. Cardio helps with the recovery process- so long as it not too intense as a HIIT (well there is more to than that but you get it lol)

I know on my rest days I just think about hitting the gym! It is really addictive- it feels sooooo good! lol

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
you might want to try adding LISS cardio on recovery days. Cardio helps with the recovery process- so long as it not too intense as a HIIT (well there is more to than that but you get it lol)

I know on my rest days I just think about hitting the gym! It is really addictive- it feels sooooo good! lol
I'll definitely do that...as far as nutrition goes, should I eat less? Because I read M&F magazines where people talk about eating 3500+ calories to spike their metabolism. I'm wondering if I should continue to eat 2500, eat less, or eat more?

DocBrown

DocBrown

Awards
I'll definitely do that...as far as nutrition goes, should I eat less? Because I read M&F magazines where people talk about eating 3500+ calories to spike their metabolism. I'm wondering if I should continue to eat 2500, eat less, or eat more?
that is a good question, you can't really go off of what a magazine says exactly- as it it usually meant as an example but the example given is for a specific person with their activity level, body composition, and a few other variables in mind.

it is really trial and error. you need to find what works for you. a free meal may work every once in a while to jump start the metabolism, but could hurt you if you do not implement it correctly- you learn; the same applies with carb cycling you need to have your high/refeed days but need to make sure your low and moderate days balance out the high day(s). or you could just cheat and hire a coach ;) LOL

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
that is a good question, you can't really go off of what a magazine says exactly- as it it usually meant as an example but the example given is for a specific person with their activity level, body composition, and a few other variables in mind.

it is really trial and error. you need to find what works for you. a free meal may work every once in a while to jump start the metabolism, but could hurt you if you do not implement it correctly- you learn; the same applies with carb cycling you need to have your high/refeed days but need to make sure your low and moderate days balance out the high day(s). or you could just cheat and hire a coach ;) LOL
Lol hiring a coach seems like the way to go

DocBrown

DocBrown

Awards
Lol hiring a coach seems like the way to go
It's a great learning tool. I know I keep a coach a year long. It's easier to have someone with an objective viewpoint. I find it helpful anyway because in the past, I could talk myself into diets and ideas that were not always the best for my body.

WayneD

WayneD

Awards
Thanks man...and I do weights pretty hard, about 60-75 minutes a day. I love it, I'm doing Jim Stoppani's superman program now, and soon as I finish that I'm gonna focus at lot on HIIT and less calories...good idea?
Great job on what your doing, I definitely recommend HIIT. I was 295 a year ago and and now weigh 235 from doing HIIT. Obviously I had to get my diet in check and went with low carbs, almost Paleo. I was running and hitting the gym but it wasn't until I started HIIT that the weight just fell off.

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Great job on what your doing, I definitely recommend HIIT. I was 295 a year ago and and now weigh 235 from doing HIIT. Obviously I had to get my diet in check and went with low carbs, almost Paleo. I was running and hitting the gym but it wasn't until I started HIIT that the weight just fell off.
Awesome, you're the man Wayne. I mostly eat pork/chicken and veggies with some fruit, and eggs. What low carb foods would you recommend?

WayneD

WayneD

Awards
Awesome, you're the man Wayne. I mostly eat pork/chicken and veggies with some fruit, and eggs. What low carb foods would you recommend?
Thats what worked for me also. I try to eat fresh meats, vegetables, and fruits (workout days only). Nothing processed. I allow myself a carb dinner twice a week around 6pm and then fast until 9am which is an hour after my HIIT workout . I also cut out grains and dairy but as Doc said you have to try different things to see what works for you. As you have found out it takes a lot to get to his point, now you have get to know your new body and figure out how to achieve your next set of goals.

realdyl75

realdyl75

Awards
Thats what worked for me also. I try to eat fresh meats, vegetables, and fruits (workout days only). Nothing processed. I allow myself a carb dinner twice a week around 6pm and then fast until 9am which is an hour after my HIIT workout . I also cut out grains and dairy but as Doc said you have to try different things to see what works for you. As you have found out it takes a lot to get to his point, now you have get to know your new body and figure out how to achieve your next set of goals.
Cool cool....so you do your HIIT early in the AM?

MaryTaylor

Awards
Woaah! Great improvement! I can say you are on the right track now! So nice!