Whey as a morning meal

ClaudioAnimal

ClaudioAnimal

Awards
Hi guys, I know that a solid Meal would be a lot better option to eat as a morning meal but I just can take a quick meal due to lack of time. Is it ok to have a Shake as morning meal?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Sure, but why not just skip it then altogether?

De Courcy

De Courcy

Awards
Sure, but why not just skip it then altogether?
This is only setting yourself up for failure if the goal is weight loss, (fMRI) studies have proven the brain's reward center lights up more in seeing high-calorie food for those that skip breakfast.

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Shakes are fine.

You can mix up fruits, peanut butter, even eggs in a shake. They don't necessarily lack whole foods. There are threads in the recipe section for shakes and you can find more on almost any bodybuilding website. Go for the recipes including whole food sources.

Whey isn't a bad option for morning protein as it has a very high biological value rating and absorbs quickly after your night time fast but slow digesting options are good too; like casein or simply milk (whey and casein in their natural source). For the technical crowd, mixing whey with fruits and other foods will affect absorption rates. I still like it in the morning with other sources if I'm making a shake myself.

Don't worry about the leangains cult. I'm pretty sure their sales pitch is to jump in on breakfast threads and casually suggest skipping it. They are going to tell you about a diet that works for little people who can cram a full days calories in to 8 hours without losing much of their food to poop or fat conversion as their calorie requirements are so low. Either that or they don't realize they are limiting themselves and pooping muscles away.

Not mention that outside of bodybuilding breakfast offers multiple benefits. It boosts concentration, energy, has been shown to increase standardized test scores (for children though the principle carries) and studies show real world benefits of breakfast eaters gaining less weight (fat) than non breakfast eaters.

I apologize for the long post but this is where your thread is heading. Breakfast is good, whey protein is fine, shakes are great is you mix whole foods in to them with your whey.

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Excuse me, I just realized I posted in the weight loss forum and not bulking. My mistake.

LeanLoss will be fine.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Shakes are fine.

You can mix up fruits, peanut butter, even eggs in a shake. They don't necessarily lack whole foods. There are threads in the recipe section for shakes and you can find more on almost any bodybuilding website. Go for the recipes including whole food sources.

Whey isn't a bad option for morning protein as it has a very high biological value rating and absorbs quickly after your night time fast but slow digesting options are good too; like casein or simply milk (whey and casein in their natural source). For the technical crowd, mixing whey with fruits and other foods will affect absorption rates. I still like it in the morning with other sources if I'm making a shake myself.

Don't worry about the leangains cult. I'm pretty sure their sales pitch is to jump in on breakfast threads and casually suggest skipping it. They are going to tell you about a diet that works for little people who can cram a full days calories in to 8 hours without losing much of their food to poop or fat conversion as their calorie requirements are so low. Either that or they don't realize they are limiting themselves and pooping muscles away.

Not mention that outside of bodybuilding breakfast offers multiple benefits. It boosts concentration, energy, has been shown to increase standardized test scores (for children though the principle carries) and studies show real world benefits of breakfast eaters gaining less weight (fat) than non breakfast eaters.

I apologize for the long post but this is where your thread is heading. Breakfast is good, whey protein is fine, shakes are great is you mix whole foods in to them with your whey.
I mean, I wasn't advocating for leangains. I was just posing a real question; IMO if you're going to eat breakfast, EAT breakfast. If you're doing no more than a whey protein shake, you're not going to be feeling full for long, and will actually end up hungrier than if you were to have skipped it altogether, that is just my main point.

Say he likes to have a snack 3 hours later; I would actually probably bet he would feel less hungry and therefore eat less of a snack if he were to skip the whey protein. It may just be me personally but I am hungry about 30 minutes after a protein shake, specially whey.

So he can follow his regular diet routine, but IMHO having a whey protein is only going to:
1- Add more calories to his day with no real boost for fat loss
2- Make him hungrier faster
3- Psychologically making him hungrier through the morning
4- Make him eat more on whatever his next meal will be.

T

TexasGuy

Awards
I mean, I wasn't advocating for leangains. I was just posing a real question; IMO if you're going to eat breakfast, EAT breakfast. If you're doing no more than a whey protein shake, you're not going to be feeling full for long, and will actually end up hungrier than if you were to have skipped it altogether, that is just my main point.

Say he likes to have a snack 3 hours later; I would actually probably bet he would feel less hungry and therefore eat less of a snack if he were to skip the whey protein. It may just be me personally but I am hungry about 30 minutes after a protein shake, specially whey.

So he can follow his regular diet routine, but IMHO having a whey protein is only going to:
1- Add more calories to his day with no real boost for fat loss
2- Make him hungrier faster
3- Psychologically making him hungrier through the morning
4- Make him eat more on whatever his next meal will be.
Assuming he is dividing his daily calories out across his meals number 1,3 and 4 will be irrelevant unless he just has zero discipline, in which case no diet strategy will be worth beans. Number 2 is irrelevant considering minimal discipline as well. And if he's mixing whey with foods in the blender it's not just a whey shake anyways.

What breakfast will do is allow him to divide his daily calories and macros out further, increasing absorption efficacy. Most people who skip meals tend to overcompensate when they do eat though you may be an exception. Assuming he would fall in the majority, consuming some form of breakfast would prevent him from over eating later, adding unnecessary calories.

Turning on the anabolic switch following a 12 hour fast (give or take dinner to waking) isn't a bad idea either, even if waiting a few more hours won't completely derail his efforts.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Make oatmeal in the morning (takes no more then 5 mins) scoop of whey, dried plums,flaxseeds, cocoa and there's your carbs/protien for the day.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
umm what?