fruit juices to gain weight

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, I was wondering....to gain mass, would drinking excessive amounts of 100% fruit be a good way to go? I was thinking about sipping on a half gallon a fruit juice like apple, grape, or grapfruit juice everyday throughout the day, finishing it by the end of the day. I was thinking that the continous high levels of sugar would allow for good weight gain. Good idea?

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i like trenberry juice :p makes me grow huge.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Well high levels of fructose will allow for weight gain, yes, but this is certainly not the best way to go about it. Essentially you would be getting a huge insulin spike, then screwing with your insulin sensitivity in time. You may be setting yourself up for major fat gains this way, too.

It sounds to m like you don't have your diet anywhere near where it should be if your idea of extra calories is fruit juice. Try adding more moderate to low GI carbs like brown rice, wheat bread, wheat bagels, etc and lean proteins (chicken, turkey, etc) before you try this. JMO

Greenguy

Awards
  • Established
Try drinking a gallon of 1% milk every day. It has protein in it.

Juice is pure sugar and will probably get stored as fat, more than the milk.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Well high levels of fructose will allow for weight gain, yes, but this is certainly not the best way to go about it. Essentially you would be getting a huge insulin spike, then screwing with your insulin sensitivity in time. You may be setting yourself up for major fat gains this way, too.

It sounds to m like you don't have your diet anywhere near where it should be if your idea of extra calories is fruit juice. Try adding more moderate to low GI carbs like brown rice, wheat bread, wheat bagels, etc and lean proteins (chicken, turkey, etc) before you try this. JMO
Sound advice.

...And drinking a gallon of milk might have been the thing to do in the 70s, but we are lightyears ahead of that with nutrition science now.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I know about protiens and low GI carbs. But its hard when your work a 40 hour a week job to cook brown rice all the time. Bascially, if I eat any more food ed, I think I will puke so I though drinking juice would help.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I know about protiens and low GI carbs. But its hard when your work a 40 hour a week job to cook brown rice all the time. Bascially, if I eat any more food ed, I think I will puke so I though drinking juice would help.
We are all busy (I work 40 hours weekly and take night classes as well).... time management is essential here. Maybe try cooking large amounts at once and putting them in seperate storage containers for the week, or make some homemade protein bars like I do ;)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i have heard that if your dont eat cooked brown rice right away, an enzyme forms in it that is bad for body builders, any truth?

ZackMurphy

Awards
Sound advice.

...And drinking a gallon of milk might have been the thing to do in the 70s, but we are lightyears ahead of that with nutrition science now.
Milk certainly shouldn't be considered a poor choice. It would have to fit within your caloric total and jive with your desired macronutrient ratios for the day, but milk (skim) is an outstanding protein source.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Milk certainly shouldn't be considered a poor choice. It would have to fit within your caloric total and jive with your desired macronutrient ratios for the day, but milk (skim) is an outstanding protein source.
I totally agree. My point was that blindly downing a gallon of milk a day in the hopes of "gaining weight" is a little haphazard. Bottom line, Good whole foods in a structured nutrition plan is the best way to gain quality weight. Not just mass.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Try Basmati rice. (white or brown) It's just as good for you as brown rice, Tastes better(nutty flavor),and you can cook a big batch in only 15 minutes :thumbsup:

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
does basmati form this enzyme I have heard about as well?

ZackMurphy

Awards
does basmati form this enzyme I have heard about as well?
This is news to me. Do you recall where you might have heard this? In years of discussing brown rice with various RDs and nutritional gurus, I've not heard anything about degradation of nutritional value in brown rice, or loss of enzymes.

Any ideas where this came from? Might help clear it up, one way or ther other.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
my friend read it in a men's fitness mag, i forget which one though. In a nut shell he told me as brown rice sits at room temp or gets cold an enyzme is formed that cause problems with digestion.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I've never heard of that either. For years I have cooked a weeks worth of rice and kept it in the fridge until needed. Can't say I've had any dijestion problems from it.:lol: