what is wrong with eating raw egg whites?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Someone on the DS Forum told me eating raw egg whites is bad and then didnt tell me why. I am wondering if maybe he told me this only because of poisioning or possibly (and I am hoping is not the case) raw egg white arent processed correctly in the body and thus the protein content is not used.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Someone on the DS Forum told me eating raw egg whites is bad and then didnt tell me why. I am wondering if maybe he told me this only because of poisioning or possibly (and I am hoping is not the case) raw egg white arent processed correctly in the body and thus the protein content is not used.

He could have been talking about salmonella (sp?) poisening but it also seems that some people seem to think egg protein isn't digested when raw.

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22144

Bobo talks abotu this in here and says the statement is incorrect and it digests just fine. Check it out.

bulkmuscle

Awards
i eat raw eggs almost every day, albeit only 3-5 raw, but still, been doing it for a few months and havent had a problem yet.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i eat raw eggs almost every day, albeit only 3-5 raw, but still, been doing it for a few months and havent had a problem yet.
Yeah judging by your avatar I can't tell or anything haha.. j/k lookin swole!
:rasp:

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
the odds of getting salmonella poisoning from eggs or even chicken for that matter is very low (i think somewhere in the range of 1 in 40,000)
cc

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
that is close to the #'s i have read

btw, the pasteurized egg whites at egg whites international are kewl, but expensive

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
nothing changes except its harder for the digestion and personally I think it tastes awful to swallow raw egg whites

Shawn W.

Awards
nothing changes except its harder for the digestion and personally I think it tastes awful to swallow raw egg whites
I've never been an advocate of eating raw eggs because of these things. In regard to the digestion, wouldn't making the protein harder to digest lower its bioavailability, or at least make it slower-digesting?

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've never been an advocate of eating raw eggs because of these things. In regard to the digestion, wouldn't making the protein harder to digest lower its bioavailability, or at least make it slower-digesting?
IMO raw eg whites would have lower bioavailability but would not be slower digesting because the liquid egg would pass much quicker through the stomach and into the small intestine. Also I have read some things that talk about an anti-digestive enzyme in eggs that are destroyed when heated.

Bouncer79

Awards
Egg white protein is in glycoprotein avidin form which needs to be cooked/heated for digestion because it becomes denatured.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
correct, it is avidin that is the concern.

you can cook 'em, or buy em pasteurized (expensive, but very convenient and completely nonslimy) from egg whites international.com

Bouncer79

Awards
Look at the link posted further up!

Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 277: G935-G943, 1999;
0193-1857/99

Studies attempting to evaluate protein assimilation in humans have hitherto relied on either ileostomy subjects or intubation techniques. The availability of stable isotope-labeled protein allowed us to determine the amount and fate of dietary protein escaping digestion and absorption in the small intestine of healthy volunteers using noninvasive tracer techniques. Ten healthy volunteers were studied once after ingestion of a cooked test meal, consisting of 25 g of 13C-, 15N-, and 2H-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same but raw meal. Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine. A significantly higher percentage of the malabsorbed raw egg protein was recovered in urine as fermentation metabolites. These results 1) confirm that substantial amounts of even easily digestible proteins may escape assimilation in healthy volunteers and 2) further support the hypothesis that the metabolic fate of protein in the colon is affected by the amount of protein made available.

jinkillkill

Banned
Awards
have you ever drunk egg whites- dude it could change your life :0)

also listen to Bouncer79- he's correct.