When is fat bad?

frofan

Awards
ie. when should you avoid eating fat? I believe post working fat is bad, are there any meals that you should avoid eating fat?

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
ie. when should you avoid eating fat? I believe post working fat is bad, are there any meals that you should avoid eating fat?
with any high gylcemic carbs i believe.

depends a lot on the fat source also.

frofan

Awards
More than half of my daily fat intake is from eggs and flax oil. My main concern was eating a medium gi, high carb breakfast with the high fat flax oil.

ZackMurphy

Awards
Not really a big deal. Those are excellent fats, remember.

The only real compelling reason to avoid fats inthe early AM (first meal), is that that's the meal when you DON'T want slow digestion. You know? Speedy digestion to get you rmetabolism going. Not a huge deal, but I shuffle fats to the middle of my day for that reason. Away from AM and away from workouts.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unless you're sub 10% and really trying to cut, the main point is to avoid all BAD fats, ie saturated and trans fatty acids. the mono and poly are good for you :)

general rule of thumb is protein/fat meals or carb/protein meals. I try to get most of my fat in the last half of the day since carbs are supposed to be filtered out anyway.

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
I consider fat bad when it is hangin on you as a pair of huge love handles, or even worse, on your girlfriend as a huge pair of love handles.

Actually, I try not to do the heavy carb/fat meal. I can virtually see myself getting fatter when I do it.

no regrets

Awards
yes, you should not include fats in your postworkout meal. You should take in a good amount of carbs to protein (2:1 ratio) and avoid fats because they will hinder the whey in being digested quickly.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
would like to see Bobo chime in on this...

Steve_W

Awards
general rule of thumb is protein/fat meals or carb/protein meals. I try to get most of my fat in the last half of the day since carbs are supposed to be filtered out anyway.
No that's not a rule of thumb. That's Berardi's crap, which is wrong.

taffer

Awards
hey ghost, nice to see you here too, i guess we gotta go somewhere when bb.com is down! :D
looks like only all the smart people from bb.com are coming here, this is a good board!

xxghostxx

xxghostxx

Awards
hey ghost, nice to see you here too, i guess we gotta go somewhere when bb.com is down! :D
looks like only all the smart people from bb.com are coming here, this is a good board!
Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words taffer.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, you should not include fats in your postworkout meal. You should take in a good amount of carbs to protein (2:1 ratio) and avoid fats because they will hinder the whey in being digested quickly.
THey won't hinder the absortion of whey much at all.

Fats in a solid state delay digestion but oils won't cause much of a delay at all. Oil floats to the top of chyme while the rest of the chyme is absorbed into the samll intestine. From there amino's and fats are absorbed in a completely different manner (one through the small intestine and the other lymphatically)

The reason you don't want fats post workout is the you don't want an increase insulin along with increased FFA's. THis causes a very large spike in LPL (which the presence of insulin rises drastically) which will increase the chance of adipose storage especially in times of a caloric surplus. YOu also don't want to supply an energy source that can a significant time to breakdown and utlize at this time.

taffer

Awards
bobo - how many grams of fat would you say is max for post-workout
i ask because the fat in oats can add up (i get about 8-10from oats post-workout ~90g of oats)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on the individual and how much they weigh.

I wouldn't go over 80g (1 Cup Quaker Oats) which would have 6g of fat.