Is milk effective as a recovery drink?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Nice article, however it doesn't say wha type of milk was consumed for testing. Although, I believe it would have been non-fat milk.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I didn't like how they compared milk with a carb drink for PW nutrition, they gotta compare it to other protein sources such as whey, egg, soy etc. in order to give more relevant information.

wimpy

Awards
it also says resting testosterone decreased over the course of the study. why is this?

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i think milk is a pretty incredible food. when i did the 20 rep squat programs, my strength skyrocketed, and most of my protein came from milk

fwiw, i have found that whey, in general, just makes me too gassy. i love micellar casein, though

jinkillkill

Banned
Awards
i like milk- its added calories- high protein
taste is good and makes a whey shake taste about a million times better
and oats a thousand million times better

jamalgq

Awards
I found the best milk for myself when training is milk for life. It has a little more protein and fat free, even the chocolate is awesome tasting for being fat free, and a half gallon has 80 grams of protein. you should check it out.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i like that low carb milk stuff at the grocery, but it is INSANELY expensive. $3.50 - $4.00 a half gallon vs $2.00 for a gallon of skim milk.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i use non fat milk and whey post workout - then a meal about 45 minutes later. my overall milk intake for a day is around a 1/2 gallon..

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
i like that low carb milk stuff at the grocery, but it is INSANELY expensive. $3.50 - $4.00 a half gallon vs $2.00 for a gallon of skim milk.
Milk here in Ca. has skyrocketed in price. Luckily the store I go to offers a deal when you purchase two gallons of the same type and brand. I end up only paying .30 cents more for the seconds gallon. A single gallon here can cost in the area of $3.00 now.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
yeah, milk in KY runs about 2.80/gallon now. i love good ole 2%. never could get used to skim and vitamin d milk is a bit too "full" for my tastes. as far as a postworkout drink, it could work; although i wouldn't make it a habit as there are better options out there that aren't too expensive

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dam milk over here is almost 4 bucks a gal...and i drink 1 gallon a day.

xxghostxx

xxghostxx

Awards
i use non fat milk and whey post workout - then a meal about 45 minutes later. my overall milk intake for a day is around a 1/2 gallon..
I do the non fat milk and whey pwo also, along with white potatoes, I love this. 1/2 Gallon a day is more than I could handle though, very commendable!

Stingray

Awards
same here - just one more reason I'm going broke b/c i live in boston
Not just boston, Here in AZ milk is almost 4 bucks also. If you are lucky you can get it on sale pretty regularly though for about 1.70 or so. That is the only saving grace.

SR

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Heh. I pound about a gallon and a half a day. It's rough! 3.55 for 2 gallons of fat free though...

My food bill next month (just for shop at home) is going to be over $350 :( I need to ditch the pasta and the fruit juice I mix with my whey I think, that runs me like $6/day - add in 2lbs of cottage cheese a day, meat, etc and you're looking at like $12-$14 a day.

xxghostxx

xxghostxx

Awards
Heh. I pound about a gallon and a half a day. It's rough! 3.55 for 2 gallons of fat free though...

My food bill next month (just for shop at home) is going to be over $350 :( I need to ditch the pasta and the fruit juice I mix with my whey I think, that runs me like $6/day - add in 2lbs of cottage cheese a day, meat, etc and you're looking at like $12-$14 a day.
it's worth it though..i know tons of people my age (college) who are eating fast food 2-3 times a day, and even with like dollar menu items, they are still racking up like 12-14$ a day easily, and their health is plummeting along with their wallet size. nice trade though, slim wallet, for big arms and healthy body :)