Whey or casein for post workout protein shake?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read several threads but I’m still confused. So I just wanted to have your input:

Which protein is best to take right after a workout? Whey (or any other fast release protein) or casein / milk (or any other slow release protein), or even a mixture of both fast and slow release protein. In case you suggest a blend of whey and casein, don’t you think that the casein will affect and slow down the absorption of whey? So far I was always in favour of whey, and I’ve had the impression that if I take a blend of casein and whey it will be less effective than taking whey alone.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
pwo you want whey, its just about the only time of day you do want whey

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
whey - casein is slower absorbing and thats not what you're looking for PW. Save casein for late night when you want the protein to absorb into your system over a longer period of time

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Both !! - I agree with the above to posts but mixing whey and skim milk you get the best of both worlds, whey for immediate absorbtion then your milk absorbs slowly till it's time for your PWO meal.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
a blend is optimal, but for post workout, put the emphasis on whey. casein has it's place, as do all protein sources.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
milk protein is 20% whey, 80% casein, right?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right Milk is 20% whey and 80% casein. But what I don't know is if this whey or any additional whey to the milk will be absorbed as fast as whey in water / juice or not.

no regrets

Awards
Whey, you want something absorbed to replenish your body as quickly as possible. Whey is digested very quickly compared to the 6-7 hour span of casein protein. That's why I save my casein for right before bed.

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
whey - casein is slower absorbing and thats not what you're looking for PW. Save casein for late night when you want the protein to absorb into your system over a longer period of time
Dead on in my opinion. Whey PW and casein for a late night nitrogen balance booster.